It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
(female)

NJmel HB User
Kidner surgery???

My husband found out the other day that he needs to have kidner surgery modified. Has anybody had this surgery before and how long is the recovery time?

Old 12-22-2011, 06:47 AM   #2
(female)

NJmel HB User
Re: Kidner surgery???

Please, has anybody had this surgery before? I have been reading about all these different surgeries for PTT and it scares me so much. His dr. said all he needs is the kidner.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
(male)

amainc HB Useramainc HB User

I had my auxillary navicular removed about six months ago in addition to several other procedures; what I call complete reconstructive foot surgery. The auxillary navicular is what was giving me all of my pain prior to surgery but I also had severely flat feet. My surgeon gave me the option of only removing the auxillary navicular and re-attaching my PTT or go through with the complete reconstruction which is what he recommended. I was fully released 5 1/2 mos after surgery and have resumed full activities without any pain or discomfort. I'm not sure what your questions are but I could not be happier with the outcome of my surgery. I'll be happy to share with y'all my experience if you have additional questions.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

I had ptt which did not respond to conservative treatments. I had an accessory navicular and the doctor did a modified kidner. The recouperation was not that bad but in my case, it did not solve the problem. I ended up needing a more involved flat foot surgery proceedure about a year later. Your husband may have a better outcome, depending on exactly what is wrong with his foot

Old 12-23-2011, 03:21 AM   #5
(female)

NJmel HB User

Thanks Roxy. He has the accessory navicular bone also. I think like we have talked before he's going to the same pod. office we discussed about with my cryo. He's being very very stubborn and believing in this dr. He did go to a ortho., and all he said was he needed new sneakers, and because of his stupid ins. we ended paying for his visit. The problem is that it's his right foot, and his job is about an hour away. Plus he just can't take the time off from work, he's a teacher. He will be off in the summer, but he just doesn't want to ruin our daughters summer. But I know it needs to be done, I just am scared and as I read all theses posts it scares me more. Crossing my fingers it goes well.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

Good luck. I also work in as school as a SLP.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
(female)

NJmel HB User

Thanks amainc for your reply. My husband's dr. only said the kidner surgery modified. I was with him and mentioned flat foot surgery, but he said that's not needed, and to stop worrying and researching things. The thing is I've been through a lot these past couple of years, and my husband has never had surgery before. I like to research, and make sure this is the right thing for him to do. He does not believe in researching and he's trusting the dr. He's probably doing it over the summer since he's a teacher and has off. The only thing is, is that we have a 2 year old, and he really wanted to have a fun summer with her. I'm looking for a job and will probably start working by then. So it looks like he will not be able to take care of her over the summer. The dr. said about 6 weeks of recovery, does that sound right? Also like I've said I have my own problems with my feet and knees so will he really need a lot of help from me? Of course I can do little things, but I won't be able to help him up the stairs in the shower, etc...Will he be able to do that stuff on his own? His dr. told him to look into the AFO brace do you know anything about it?

Old 12-23-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
(male)

amainc HB Useramainc HB User

I had my surgery two days after my daughters 3rd birthday. I work out of the house and keep my daughter as well; when she's not in preschool. I am fortunate to have family where I live that helped me with my daughter over the summer. I'm not sure how fast your husband's recovery will go based on what he is having done but based on the multiple procedures I had done I really don't think I could have been able to watch my daughter full time after six weeks. After 8 weeks I remained in a hard cast with a walking boot and was in a better position at that time to start watching her again simply because I was more mobile. I'm not sure I could have done that with my daughter that early in the recovery if she were still two. Mainly because she wasn't as self sufficient then as she was at three; going to the potty, eating, etc. I definitely had to have help with the shower the first few weeks. I just was not strong enough and able to balance well enough to get in and out by myself. After about the third or forth week I got to where I could do that by myself. I had the bag that sealed around my cast and a shower chair which helped a lot. I'm not sure what the AFO brace is? Not had any experience with that.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:39 AM   #9
(male)

dubpt HB Userdubpt HB User

I am nearly 8 weeks post flat foot reconstruction surgery with 3 different procedures. I did not have the kidner procedure so do not have that direct experience but I have researched this dysfunction exhaustively. I would consider having another consult with a different foot and ankle fellowship trained ortho surgeon to be sure of the best surgical option for positive long-term outcomes.

As described by Roxygirl, if he only has the Kidner procedure he runs the risk of needing further surgery in the future if symptoms persist or re-appear later. If he has had flat feet for a while he likely has adaptive structural foot changes that relates to his pain and will not be solely corrected by the Kidner procedure alone. From what I've seen this procedure is often used by surgeons combined with other procedurres to fully address the flat foot dysfunction.

No time is perfect to have this surgery but I chose to do it now while my 8 month old twins boys are less mobile. My wife is working hard but now I am able to help out more around the house. We had our mothers help for the first 5 weeks.

Good luck on the decision.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:46 AM   #10
(female)

NJmel HB User

Thanks everybody for your inputs. This whole thing as been discussed as much as possible, and my husband is so done with it. He's going to do what the doc. said. His insurance sucks, and we already had to pay out of pocket when he saw an ortho. who actually just told him to get new sneakers. I understand no time is a good time for this surgery. My daughter will probably be in daycare by then so his mom can help with him while I'm hopefully at work. Like I've said he's very stubborn, and he hates that I'm on this site researching, and I then go back and tell him all these stories. I know from experience that everybody heals differently, but this site is amazing with all these helpful ideas for after surgery. But he will not listen. I kind of have to let him live and learn. It sucks but this is becoming an ongoing battle and it's just better left alone at the moment. I understand I will have to do everything after surgery but like I've said I have many medical problems also so it will not be easy for us.

Closed Thread