It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
(female)

Poesjenel HB User
Unhappy Burning pain after Foot Surgery

5 weeks post op with plate, 8 screws and cadaver bone in big toe.

Fine until two days ago when burning started. Upsetting and afraid.

Is this normal? I've had to start taking pain meds again and they don't help with the burning.

I keep my foot up all day. What gives?

Old 12-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
(female)

lola456 HB Userlola456 HB Userlola456 HB User
Re: Burning pain after Foot Surgery

I don't know if you've talked to your doctor yet, but you might have better luck taking something like gabapentin or pregabalin for the nerve pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
(female)

lola456 HB Userlola456 HB Userlola456 HB User

Also, not to freak you out - just so you're aware...if you're not already, watch for excessive sweating in your foot, discoloration (red/splotchy outside of the 'normal' post-op experience), excessive swelling (outside the 'normal' post-op experience), hypersensitive areas on the skin, & hair/nail changes as they can all be indicative of CRPS.

That said, it quite likely is a temporarily upset nerve...I don't know if you're out of the cast yet, but massaging the scars to help prevent them from causing issues with deep scar tissue can also be helpful.

Last edited by lola456; 12-23-2011 at 09:56 PM.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I had the same symptoms after flat foot reconstruction surgery. My surgeon started me on Lyrica for nerve issues. At the time he had said that it was more then likely temporary and fortunately for me it was. After several months I weaned myself off the Lyrica and I had no more issues. Make sure you talk to your doctor about these symptoms.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:38 AM   #5
(female)

Poesjenel HB User
Talking Re: Burning pain after Foot Surgery

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm more confident and hopefull it will settle down. I'll let you know.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
(female)

guinivere HB User

I am 5 weeks post op as well. I had severe comminuted fracture of the calcaneus and cuboid. We sound rather similar even down to the plate and number of screws. I have artificial bone in the heel. I was troubled with the burning as well. My doc looked at my foot and said it was healing really well. The burning was nerve pain...like firing and trying to work..It has now subsided some. I hope you get relief soon.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
(female)

Poesjenel HB User

Mine comes and goes so I'm hopefull it will subside. Keep me informed - I think we are in the same stage of foot healing.

Thanks so much.

Closed Thread