It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
(female)

Ninay2007 HB User
Smile Ankle Instability

Hi,im a 22 year old student with some serious ankle issues.I had ankle instability from multiple severe sprains and had a brostrom procedure back in May 2010.I recently severely sprained it again and I am pretty sure that brostrom repair is ruined because my ankle practically touched the floor.My question is that since it's obvious I will need ankle surgery again ahould I have another brostrom procedure done again or should I have something stronger to repair my ankle once and for good.I've heard of procedures where people had cadaver tendons to replace the old ones. Anyone ever have this surgery? What was it like?anyone have experience with having a brostrom repair and reinjuring it?

Old 12-27-2011, 01:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: Ankle Instability

Hi! I'm actually going through this right now. I had a Brostrom procedure 10 yrs ago from multiple severe sprains. 2 yrs later I tore the tendon retinaculum and a year after that, I severely sprained my ankle, broke the 5th met and tore cartilage. I've had a couple of severe sprains since and then a mild one this past Sept. I've had pain off and on the entire time. I was getting ready to do a 1/2 marathon at the beginning of this month and decided to have it checked out to be sure it was ok. It is not ok. I've ruined the Brostrom (both the ATFL and CFL are torn), the retinaculum is torn (which I knew already), the peroneal longus tendon is torn and both peroneal tendons are subluxation (popping in and out). He allowed me to do the 1/2 marathon b/c he said there was nothing more I could do to it (how comforting)! But I had to wear a brace, take anti-inflammatory, ice it and I could only walk it, no running. The surgery he recommended was a Brostrom-Gould repair ALONG with taking a portion of my peroneal brevis tendon and suturing it to the fibula too. The Brostrom is an anatomical repair, but the tendon sutured to the fibula is not. Recovery time is longer than for my Brostrom repair. 6 wks NWB in a cast (3 wks hard cast and 3 wks boot) and then boot for weight bearing. I was out of a cast in 2 1/2 wks and off crutches in 3 1/2 wks with the first operation. Back to work in 4.5 wks (12 hour shifts on my feet). So this will clearly be a more difficult recovery.

With that said, you won't necessarily definitely need surgery. See your doctor and have x-rays and MRI to see if you need to. After my first sprain, my Brostrom wasn't ruined. Good luck and I hope it's still okay! Let us know!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
(female)

Ninay2007 HB User

So I went to the doctor and he told me exactly what I knew all along. It turns out my previous brostrom repair has been ruined and now I will have to undergo a chrisman snook procedure to repair my ankle. I'm not worried at all because I knew this was coming, but I was wondering if anyone has had this procedure done before and what the recovery was like. I imagine it's a bit more difficult than the brostrom procedure because this procedure requires using cadaver tendon to fix it, instead of the original tendons.I've been trying to do some research online but there isn't much information on this procedure.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

I'm sorry to hear this! We are in the same situation now except I'm not having the Chrisman-Snook procedure. I'm having a different one, but as you alluded to, this new procedure will be a more difficult recovery from the Brostrom procedure. I've been told 3 weeks in a hard cast and 3 weeks in a boot with all 6 wks on crutches NWB. After that, I'm sure I will wear the boot longer as I start walking again. This will be harder and longer than my Brostrom b/c I was back to work in the boot 5 wks out. When are you having your surgery? Are you weight bearing now? Are you in a lot of pain?

Old 01-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
(female)

Ninay2007 HB User

I am having my surgery in may because I dont want to miss any school for this since its my senior year. I am full weight bearing now but it aches a lot throughout the day. My pain comes and goes and I'm starting to get used to it now,so it doesn't effect me too much besides when I roll my ankle for no reason at all.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't blame you. Senior year of high school? I had surgery (not ankle) my senior year of high school and was on crutches and it sucked! I'm looking at having my surgery at the end of Feb. I see my surgeon this Tues. I'm full weight bearing too with pain and I roll my ankle easily. Hurts! Keep us informed! So sorry you are having to go through this!

Old 01-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

I had a Brostrom, messed it up and had another with a slightly different revision and it has been great.

The second one they took...and I hope I spell this right, the pereosteal flap from my tibia (a sheath around your bone) and used that tissue to reinforce the revision Brostrom-Gould that I had. They wre going to use a cadavaar tendon at first, had it there, but they realized that my tissue was good to use for this procedure and I did not need the cadavaar.

I have a multi-joint hypermobility syndrome and all my tendons suck and my ligaments stretch right out. This procedure worked though.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

KLANA-I'm glad to hear your 2nd surgery has worked well for you. I'm having a revision of my Brostrom-Gould with Evans weave (take part of peroneal brevis tendon and anchor it to the fibula), repair of the tear in my peroneal longus tendon, repair of my torn superior extensor retinaculum and fibulas groove deepening because both peroneals are subluxing!

Old 01-07-2012, 02:59 AM   #9
(female)

trishab65 HB User

why dont you wear your boot/aircast walker if you still own for stability. thats what a dr told me when i fractured my ankle after it healed i injured the atfl he told me to wear my boot til surgery i did,it helped

Closed Thread

Tags
ankle, ankle instability, brostrom, surgery