It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
(female)

Hopeful Wishes HB User
Ankle Tendon Repair Surgery Questions

I just found out that I have shredded the tendon in my right ankle. It is on the outside of the ankle (I can't remember the name of the tendon at the moment). It is fairly severely torn and has been for quite a number of years, I had just put off going to the dr.

The MRI not only showed the shredded tendon but also some damage to the ankle joint its self.

The doctor is going to go in behind the ankle bone with the incision to fix the tendon and also go in at the top of my foot with a scope to look at the damage to the ankle joint its self.

He said I would be in a cast for 30 days non-weight bearing and with in 5-6 weeks post op I would be able to ride horses again.

Just looking for others that have had experience with this type of surgery. I have had 3 scopes done on my knee but never had any surgery requiring more than a scope or 100% nwb.

I am curious to the size of the cast (as far as what types of pants I will be able to wear over it) and mobility afterwards, and pain levels...

I have my pre op appointment on Jan 11th so I will be asking the dr these questions also but was hoping for others experience also.

Thanks in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: Ankle Tendon Repair Surgery Questions

If you could post with the name of the tendon, it would be helpful as it could make a difference in the recovery

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2012, 03:42 AM   #3
(female)

Cashewcat HB UserCashewcat HB User

This past summer I had my Achilles tendon lengthened, a broken ligament sewn back together, some really nasty divots repaired by the doc drilling them and a cyst removed from my ankle. I was supposed to be in a cast for 4 weeks and a boot for 2 more weeks. All 6 weeks non weight bearing. If you want an idea of what pants you can get over the cast my best suggestion is to put a tennis shoe on your foot and while keeping it at a right angle see what pants will fit over it. I was lucky I had my surgery done in the summer. Shorts that fit over a cast were easy to come by, but I did get a pair of pants to keep handy if I needed them.

As for pain I will tell you when waking up from surgery the first thing I could feel was the Achilles tendon burning. It wasn't bad, but the nurse still went to get me 2 percocets. After the percocet kicked in I had no pain. Day 2 to day 4 is when the bones started hurting something fierce. I tried several times to get away with one percocet or 1 1/2, but the only way to get through that time was to take the max dose which also tended to knock me out. By day 5 the bone pain wasn't as bad and I was able to reduce my pain medication to one pill every 4 to 6 hours.

Mobility...well that depends on how good you are with crutches while drugged up.

If your surgery turns out anything like mine did I would say don't count on getting on that horse in 6 weeks. It is now 5 1/2 month past my surgery and I'm still fighting to get my calf muscle back. My doc and physical therapist were very clear that full recovery for what I had done takes about a year and lots of patience. Knowing it was going to be a long road to recovery put me in the right mind set to deal with it so I'm very happy with my progress. In my case the results have been worth everything I had to go through. Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Cashewcat For This Useful Post:
Hopeful Wishes (01-04-2012)
Old 01-02-2012, 06:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I suspect the tendon being repaired is the peroneal tendon. That's the one that runs behind the ankle on the outer side of the foot.

Riding horses at 5 weeks might be difficult. Stirrups put a lot of strain on the ankles, and unless your surgeon rides, he may not be aware of this. I suppose you could leave that foot OUT of the stirrup, but then you're at risk of falling off, unless you go on a very gentle ride.

The cast will probably come up to just under your knee. You can either take a pair of pants and cut them off just above the cast or wear some very wide-legged pants over the cast.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

On November 22nd I had surgery to repair a tear in the peroneal tendon. I was non-weight bearing for 2 weeks while in the surgical splint. After having the sutures removed I was put into a CAM boot and allowed to full weight bear. I will be in the boot until January 9th and then go into a shoe and allowed to work without restrictions. I have walked around the house without the boot, and my foot feels absolutely wonderful. Each doctor has their own protocol and it may depend exactly what procedures the doctor has to do once surgery has begun. I would suspect that riding a horse at 5-6 weeks post op will definately not be allowed.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
(female)

Hopeful Wishes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxygirl1 View Post
If you could post with the name of the tendon, it would be helpful as it could make a difference in the recovery
I believe it is the peroneal tendon like someone else said above. I haven't had a chance to even look at my paper work lately but that sounds right.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
(female)

Hopeful Wishes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
I suspect the tendon being repaired is the peroneal tendon. That's the one that runs behind the ankle on the outer side of the foot.

Riding horses at 5 weeks might be difficult. Stirrups put a lot of strain on the ankles, and unless your surgeon rides, he may not be aware of this. I suppose you could leave that foot OUT of the stirrup, but then you're at risk of falling off, unless you go on a very gentle ride.

The cast will probably come up to just under your knee. You can either take a pair of pants and cut them off just above the cast or wear some very wide-legged pants over the cast.
Yes I'm almost 100% positive it is the peroneal tendon.

My surgeon's wife is a vet and horse back rider so he understands the "mechanics" behind it- which was why I was so surprised when he said 5-6 weeks post op I'd be back to riding. I am aware I may have a harder time riding with stirrups, but I have been training the past month and a half with out stirrups, walk trot and canter- So if it comes down to it that I feel good enough to ride (pain wise) but don't have the strength yet, my trainer and I both feel that I have the security in my seat to continue riding with out my stirrups. I will also be doing crunches etc during recovery to keep my core strength up (Plus Im sure using crutches will help!) LOL

Thanks for the advice.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
(female)

Hopeful Wishes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyluke View Post
On November 22nd I had surgery to repair a tear in the peroneal tendon. I was non-weight bearing for 2 weeks while in the surgical splint. After having the sutures removed I was put into a CAM boot and allowed to full weight bear. I will be in the boot until January 9th and then go into a shoe and allowed to work without restrictions. I have walked around the house without the boot, and my foot feels absolutely wonderful. Each doctor has their own protocol and it may depend exactly what procedures the doctor has to do once surgery has begun. I would suspect that riding a horse at 5-6 weeks post op will definately not be allowed.
So far I do know that I will be nwb for 30 days, in a cast. I am not sure if he is going to put me in a surgical splint at first and then a cast when the stitches are removed or not. I have that on my notes to ask at my pre-op. He didn't mention a boot after surgery just the cast would be on for 30 days and then I'd start the recovery phase. He was very serious about the riding 5-6 weeks afters surgery, his wife is a vet and also a rider so he knows the mechanics of it all. I am not holding on to 100% hope that I will be back in the saddle that quickly, but I am keeping an open mind and *Hoping* that I will be but we'll just have to see how it goes.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #9
(female)

jlynn66 HB Userjlynn66 HB Userjlynn66 HB Userjlynn66 HB User

Missyluke..so glad to hear how your latest surgery has gone. Your posts have been a great help to me during my healing process (subtalar fusion & tendon repair/transfer on July 15 2011) and I felt so bad for you when you got re-injured.
HopefullWishes..do you know the cause of your tendon to shred & now joint damage? I would think that would shed more light on recovery time as it might give a better idea of what else/if anything needs to be done. For myself, my flat feet caused a tear in my tendon that prompted my surgery. Just repairing the tendon would not have ultimately fixed the problem, we had to also address the flat feet. Hope all goes well for you and you heal quickly

Old 01-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #10
(female)

Hopeful Wishes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynn66 View Post
Missyluke..so glad to hear how your latest surgery has gone. Your posts have been a great help to me during my healing process (subtalar fusion & tendon repair/transfer on July 15 2011) and I felt so bad for you when you got re-injured.
HopefullWishes..do you know the cause of your tendon to shred & now joint damage? I would think that would shed more light on recovery time as it might give a better idea of what else/if anything needs to be done. For myself, my flat feet caused a tear in my tendon that prompted my surgery. Just repairing the tendon would not have ultimately fixed the problem, we had to also address the flat feet. Hope all goes well for you and you heal quickly
We are not 100% positive I had a fall about 15 years ago off of a horse, which injured the ankle at the time dr's just said it was sprained-- after that I kept having on and off problems with it, played soccer for about 5 years and it got worse during that time also. Every time I'd go to the dr they'd say it was a sprain, do x rays and send me on my way. It took 15 years and the pain getting horrible to go back to the dr and get an MRI Scheduled. So the exact cause of the injury we are not sure, nor the exact time. Only have ideas of what caused it. He said it does look like it has gotten worse over time and didn't originally shred this much with initial injury. I do have semi high arches, but he feels that the repetitive injuries and pressure on it along with incorrect treatment for 15 years has caused the problem.

The ankle joint he is not sure on-- he said if it wasn't for the tendon he wouldn't bother doing a scope on the ankle joint but since he's already going to be in there he wants to go ahead and look to see whats going on.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

I've had my peroneal tendon repaired more than once. Each time I had other things fixed in my ankle as well, but each time I was in a well-padded splint. That was on for 10 days or so. Then they put me in either a boot or a cast for the remainder of the time. Casts are usually changed every 2 weeks.

As for healing. It takes time. I know nothing about horseback riding, but I know I was not allowed to run for at least 5 mos post-op. THe pain was badk the first 16 weeks. At 16 weeks it finally started to turn the corner. That happened each time. Tendons are slow to heal. You also have to be careful because as one of my docs explained to me, you are wanting scar tissue to form to help strenghten the repair.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #12
(female)

Hopeful Wishes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Lana View Post
I've had my peroneal tendon repaired more than once. Each time I had other things fixed in my ankle as well, but each time I was in a well-padded splint. That was on for 10 days or so. Then they put me in either a boot or a cast for the remainder of the time. Casts are usually changed every 2 weeks.

As for healing. It takes time. I know nothing about horseback riding, but I know I was not allowed to run for at least 5 mos post-op. THe pain was badk the first 16 weeks. At 16 weeks it finally started to turn the corner. That happened each time. Tendons are slow to heal. You also have to be careful because as one of my docs explained to me, you are wanting scar tissue to form to help strenghten the repair.
From what the dr said when he said I needed the surgery I'd be in a cast for 30 days, 100% NWB now, I don't know if he'll do the splint at first and then the cast or what- I was completely not expecting the "surgery" word so I was in abit of shock. I go back to him this Wednesday and of course plan to get all of my questions answered.

Reading the responses has been a little scary for me-- he seemed certain I'd be riding 5-6 weeks post op. And like I have said in previous post does have knowledge of horse riding- his wife rides the same discipline I do.

While I am hoping I will be back to riding 5-6 weeks post op, I do know that I can't count on it.

I was also just diagnosed with lymes disease-- the over all joint pain is horrible with it, so I am hoping for some good drugs to get through the recovery! They've made it pretty clear that between the surgery and the joint pain from the lymes it could be more difficult recovery pain wise.
Thanks for your experience!

Old 02-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #13
(female)

Sharpgenieca HB User
Cool Re: Ankle Tendon Repair Surgery Questions

On Jan 17 2012 I went in for repair of a peroneal brevis tear-I came out of surgery with 2 repairs and 2 grafts and repair to a muscle in the area also. I know that nerve blocks can be risky but mine worked terrific! I was over 24 hrs post op before I took a pain pill. Insurance or not, get a knee scooter! Well worth the rental investment. I agree with the person who said they made a "nest" I had my recliner, pillows, laptop, table and trash bag all by me, and Tv in front of me

The most pain meds I took was 4 in a day and my Dr. Chewed me out for not taking enough.

It has been a month now and I started weight bearing and PT this week. I will be booted for at least another 4 weeks. I am doing well but it does not take much to exhaust me.
I am almost 74 years old and I was petrified of having the surgery. Praise God for making it easy for me and my husband who really was a great nurse. I realize at my age if I were alone, I would have had to go to rehab center and that scares me.

Closed Thread