It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
(male)

cnelson20 HB User
Big Toe Problem

Back in June I was playing basketball with some people I work with. I jumped up and when I came down, I landed on the very tip of my big toe on my right foot. In addition to coming down on the tip of it, when the rest of my foot came down, another playing who was also jumping, landed right on top of it. The pain was immense. I had to sit out the rest of the game. I could only walk on the outside of my foot. Once I got home and took my shoe and sock off, I thought for sure it was broken. It was badly bruised and swollen. I did not go to the dr. or the ER because I thought there was nothing they could do. So I buddy taped it to the toe beside it. For the most part the bruising went away, it is only very light now. It is still swollen 2-3 times its normal size and hurts when I put my weight on it or try to bend it.

I went to my dr. at the beginning of December & he had X-rays taken. He said the bones looked fine but there was, what he said looked like a growth that he was concerned with on the side of the long bone of my big toe; that spot doesn't even cause me any problems. Also, on the X-ray of my foot laying on its side showing my big toe on top, he saw a dark line that looks like a shadow. It was on the side of the small bone of my big toe. He said it could be a fracture that has healed. Due to the pain, weakness, and issues I am still having 6 months after the initial injury, he referred me to an orthopedic surgeon. My appointment with her is next Monday, January 9.

6 months after injuring my big toe it is still swollen abnormally large. I cannot hold it straight out without pain at the second metatarsophalangeal joint. There is pain under the long bone of my big toe if pressure is applied to that area. I cannot bend it without intense pain under the long bone and at the second joint. The second joint is so painful that I am unable to apply ice or heat to it because it can't have any pressure on it; I even have to sleep on my stomach with my foot hanging of the bed so the sheet and comforter do not apply pressure to it. I am still walking by putting weight on the outside of my foot.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar problems or has any idea what could be the problem. I know my appointment is next week, but I hate not knowing or not having an idea about things. Any comments would be tremendously helpful.

Last edited by cnelson20; 01-02-2012 at 07:34 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User
Re: Big Toe Problem

I'm glad you have gotten it checked. My big toe problems were related to arthritis, so a little different from yours. Not being able to tolerate bedding on that toe propelled me to get it looked at. You might want to check out turf toe to see if that is what is happening. Your doctor will have a better idea on the 9th.

My surgeon said I would not believe the amount of torque on that joint, and I assured him I would. I suspect you would too. I hope you find a solution soon.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
(male)

cnelson20 HB User

My toe seems to be getting progressively worse each day. The pain has turned into a somewhat constant throbbing pain. Tylenol and ibuprofen are not helping with the swelling or pain. The swelling has gotten worse and my foot itself has started to swell. I'm glad Monday is only a few days away.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
(male)

cnelson20 HB User
Re: Big Toe Problem - Update

Well I went to see the surgeon today. She was very perplexed by my toe. She said that it was odd seeing such an injury in a perfectly healthy 26 year old. She took new x-rays, but they showed nothing new, which means my problem is not with the bone. I have blisters on top of my toe at the base of the nail bed and near the joint. She was afraid there was pus in my joint, so she aspirated the joint to draw out fluid. Luckily, there was no pus. She put me on antibiotics and anti-inflammatories for 10 days. I also have to wear a cast-boot for those 10 days. The surgeon said she cannot address any issues until the swelling and inflammation go away. I go back to see her on the 19th. Hopefully, the swelling will be gone by then but I'm not so hopeful. I mean its been swollen since June and any other anti-inflammatories have not helped. We'll see.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

Ouch. Hopefully this will help you. Good luck.

Closed Thread

Tags
big toe, foot, fracture