It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #16
(male)

JimJJr HB UserJimJJr HB UserJimJJr HB User
Re: Ankle OCD talus Denovo recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellieg View Post
Jim - Thank you so much for your posts! Please keep them coming! I am a little over 3 weeks out from a right ankle arthroscopy with denovo graft along with an achilles tendon release. Suture and cast/splint removal after 2 weeks and air boot for 4 more weeks. Doc says no weight bearing for 6 weeks. I've had one debridement surgery for the OCD in 2010 that failed. Doc was going to do the OATS but went to a big conference and 4 weeks before surgery changed it to the Denovo procedure. He had to have a peer to peer conference with the insurance company for them to approve it. I'm sort of his guinea pig as this is his first Denovo procedure but he has performed the OATS many times so I felt comfortable since this one was to be less invasive. Good news - he did not have to cut through the tibia (which he always left open as a possiblity).

I have been experiencing most of my pain during the evening - throbbing and feeling like my toes are going to burst which has really disrupted my sleep but not a whole lot of pain during the day so long as I keep it up. I have some numbness along the outside of my ankle near the heal with goes down into my little toe making it tingle like its asleep (hope this goes away?). Doc wants me to sleep with the boot on - which usually gets taken off around midnight when I can't get comfortable to sleep. Only thing Doc wants me to do for excercise right now is up and down flexation 3 to 4 times a day to loosen up the achilles . Its still very stiff but the back of my leg is very hard from the trauma and I'm hoping that will come along better as I heal.

Anyway, I appreciate your updates regarding your recovery and look forward to seeing more! Your post was very helpful in my decision to go through this procedure! Hoping that I'm not going to have to have another procedure for this long standing injury from 2008
I didn't have the tendon issue, but I did have ligament reconstruction during one of the drilling/debreidment/microfractures that I had done. Funny you should write today. I got your message while I was sitting in the exam room waiting for my Dr. at Mass General in Boston. I usually see her at the Mass General in Danvers MA, but she had to reschedule me, so I didn't mind much.

I really can't believe how well I am doing. I am VERY cautiously optimistic. I'm still not allowed to run/jump. I can't until 6 months. That will be in July. Also, my PT had me doing walking on an incline on the treadmill, she didn't like that and had me stop it. (I just started that last week). I pedal my stationary bike for an hour a night. I can use my elliptical because its low impact.

Good luck. The splint to boot and 6 weeks no wb are exactly how I was treated. I was supposed to be in the splint cast for longer, but I was allowed to the boot when the splint cast came off to remove the sutures 1 week early with the understanding that the boot comes off for NOTHING. And I did as I was told for that week. The following week, I was allowed to remove the boot to shower only. After 4 weeks, I was allowed to sleep without the boot as well. After 2 weeks, I was allowed to remove the boot while sitting to flex up and down the foot as much as I wanted, no weight bearing, no forcing it. But its necessary I guess to smoothen out the new cartilage. By week 4, I was moving it every which way I can, had good range of motion then, but I didn't have the achilies tendon done, so your treatment would likely follow a slightly different path. I'm glad you found my message and also went for the DeNovo. I know some people on this board are cautious about it, because its not as tried and true as OATS, but I believe its the future of this injury.I also did not need the osteotomy of the medial maleolous. I just have 1 port scar on the outside front, and a 1 inch incision on the inside front of my ankle.

Feel better soon, and feel free to ask me any questions you have, and if I know anything, I'll let you know. Also, share with me your recovery, f you will because I want more people, and more insurance companies to know how great this is.

As far as the evening pain. Keep icing. Even though it seems that you may not need it any more, it really makes a difference. Also, I don't know if your Dr feels the same way, but there is data out there that shows Ibuprofin and Naproxen retard bone healing, and as such, and as a precaution, my dr. didn't want me taking those. Real Asprin and Tylonol only.

And, to make you feel a little better, I have been dealing with an Ankle OCD since July of 2006 (When it was diagnosed, happened before that)

P.S. I was something like the 3rd DeNovo my Dr. did.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #17
(female)

nellieg HB User

Thanks for the additional info! My doc said that I can no longer play volleyball or softball forever (I don't know if this is a combo of the injuries or just the OCD). He said only low impact excercise from here on out. A little hurtful - especially the volleyball part - but I don't want to risk having to have this done again either. Looking forward to sharing information with you! Have a happy Easter!

Last edited by nellieg; 04-06-2012 at 05:48 PM.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #18
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellieg View Post
Thanks for the additional info! My doc said that I can no longer play volleyball or softball forever (I don't know if this is a combo of the injuries or just the OCD). He said only low impact excercise from here on out. A little hurtful - especially the volleyball part - but I don't want to risk having to have this done again either. Looking forward to sharing information with you! Have a happy Easter!
I was told the same thing after my 3rd surgery, but after the DeNovo, that tune has changed to a we'll see, so don't give up hope yet!!

Old 07-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #19
(female)

Sari001 HB User
Smile Re: Ankle OCD talus Denovo recovery

Hello! how is everyone recovering?! Your posts have been so inspirational! I am 25 years old and am a runner. I had the Denovo surgery done in my big toe joint.....unusual area, so naturally I was very nervous. I had the surgery bc i had episodes of AVN and "holes" in the joint.
I am 5 weeks post-op, and I feel great! No more cracking in the joint and ROM is getting better and better everyday! I have been putting pressure on my heel as tolerated, but I am going to go the full 8 weeks as well NWB (even though this is killing me!) because I do not want to take ANY chances. The Doc said I should wait 9-12 mos b4 running...... so I am going to do just that. He said that the bone graft will continue to strengthen over a period of 2 years! My Doc is also one of the best, so I am trying to stay conservative.

The following user gives a hug of support to Sari001:
JimJJr (07-20-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Sari001 For This Useful Post:
JimJJr (07-20-2012)
Old 07-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #20
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sari001 View Post
Hello! how is everyone recovering?! Your posts have been so inspirational! I am 25 years old and am a runner. I had the Denovo surgery done in my big toe joint.....unusual area, so naturally I was very nervous. I had the surgery bc i had episodes of AVN and "holes" in the joint.
I am 5 weeks post-op, and I feel great! No more cracking in the joint and ROM is getting better and better everyday! I have been putting pressure on my heel as tolerated, but I am going to go the full 8 weeks as well NWB (even though this is killing me!) because I do not want to take ANY chances. The Doc said I should wait 9-12 mos b4 running...... so I am going to do just that. He said that the bone graft will continue to strengthen over a period of 2 years! My Doc is also one of the best, so I am trying to stay conservative.
Well, Thanks Sari! Things couldn't be better, and it probably has a lot to do with why I haven't posted on this thread in a little while. Had my 6 month check-up last week, where I had ALL restrictions removed.. I ran for exercise for the first time in 7 years last week, just 2 miles, but no ill effects! I've been biking 10-20 miles 5 times a week and working out in my home gym. I play golf atleast once a week, and have improved my game by about 10 strokes. I can hit the ball long again, because I can plant the left (front) foot and drive into the ball again! I walk the course BECAUSE I CAN! Some of my friends take a cart, or a pull cart. I walk and carry my golf bag on my shoulders because I CAN! I've almost got my pre-injury body back as I am now down close to 50 pounds since my Surgery on Dec 28th 2011! I lost a few pounds crutching during my 6 week NWB, and then when I could start working out in March, things have been GREAT! I'm one HAPPY CAMPER and couldn't be happier I made the choice to go this way! Keep me posted Sari!

Old 07-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #21
(female)

Sari001 HB User

Hi Jim! Thanks for the response! I am so happy to hear that you are back to full activity with no restrictions! How awesome. I just went for my 6 week visit....so far so good. But Doc told me that he does not want me to "roll off the toe" for another 4 weeks...uhg. I just joined a gym and have been biking as that is the only activity that I am allowed to do at this point, but needless to say, it feels great to be active again. Another 4 weeks is long, but I will use crutches for months if I know that my surgery will be successful. I hope that I can get back to running as well!
Did you also have deterioration of your ankle joint? Thats what happened to my MPT joint.. AVN
Do you experience any pain/stiffness anymore?
I am happy I went with the denovo......my alternative was a fusion. No thanks!!

I will keep you posted! So happy to hear about your awesome recovery!!! Your success story is keeping me optimistic!

Old 12-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #22
(male)

Haven't posted in a while.. Thought I'd bring us all up to speed!! Approaching 1 year.. Dec 28th is one YEAR!! I am doing well, I work out, run on an elliptical, I play racquetball, volleyball, and can pretty much do what I want.. I have a little stiffness/arthritis for about the first 20 steps I take in the morning. But once I get my whole body moving.. (Not only my ankle but everywhere hurts, age stinks) I can do EVERYTHING.. DeNovo has been a godsend! Anyone with questions, I'm happy to answer!

Old 01-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #23
(male)

ocdpt13 HB User

Good luck and hope doing well..keep us posted

Old 01-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #24
(male)

ocdpt13 HB User

Hi , thanks for info.I am new to the forum and have ocd ankle 8x12 mm...was recntly recommended OATS...but debating Denovo...Hope you are back to life before injury..good luck...who was your surgeon and where you had it...any info about dr.Kennedy HSS and reviews....please reply..thanks again

Old 01-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #25
(male)

ocdpt13 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJJr View Post
My lesion was 25 mm or about an inch.. Huge considering the size of the Talus. I am 42 as well for another week, I have 3 athletic girls so I know what you are saying, I try to stay pretty active myself. I had 3 drilling/micro fractures before DeNovo. I found the DeNovo to be the LEAST painful of them, though my Dr. Didn't have to remove my medial maleolous in the process. I had what they called a LARGE defect. To make you feel better, I'm active again, and playing racquetball tonight! Good luck and keep me up on your recovery. I just passed the 1 year mark.
Thanks Jim,hope you are enjoying life as before injury, I have ocd talus 8x12mm (recommended OATS,,, debating Denovo...)and am new here but read very positive things about DenOvo,,,any info on your surgeon would be appreciated ....Thanks again
keep us posted

Old 01-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #26
(female)

jmpt HB Userjmpt HB User

hello,
I am on day 5 after my DeNovo Graft.I am seeing some decrease in the pain but have moments. My surgery included the dr having to cut off my medial maleolus (part of the tibia) to get to my defect. So I have 2 screws holding the tibia together. The dr also took bone/bone marrow from my heel to fill in my defect (was almost 1 cm deep, 18mmx8mm rectangle on the medial dome of talus). how big was yours? did they have to cut your tibia? I too are non-wt bearing for 6-8 weeks.

I have only heard good things about the DeNovo graft. I am hopeful that it works.
I would like to compare results and encouragements.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-20-2013 at 11:58 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to jmpt For This Useful Post:
ocdpt13 (01-20-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #27
(male)

ocdpt13 HB User

Hello jmpts,
We wish you painfree, speedy and full recovery from recent DeNovo....I didn't go for surgery yet but is still thinking OATS VS Denovo I am concerned with OATS invasiveness but insurance issues are minimal so still debating...we'll keep you posted and you do the same and share your success story with us.Thanks again.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-20-2013 at 11:58 PM.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #28
(male)

Everyone. I just had my 1 yr appointment at almost 13 months post op. I'm doing so incredibly well, I've been discharged, other than my dr is considering my case for a write up in a medical journal. DeNovo = heaven. I couldn't be happier.

The Following User Says Thank You to JimJJr For This Useful Post:
mkboe (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #29
(male)

ocdpt13 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Ankle OCD talus Denovo recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJJr View Post
Everyone. I just had my 1 yr appointment at almost 13 months post op. I'm doing so incredibly well, I've been discharged, other than my dr is considering my case for a write up in a medical journal. DeNovo = heaven. I couldn't be happier.
congrats, great to hear positive news..Good luck to you..keep us posted how well you are doing enjoy!
thanks

Closed Thread