It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
(female)

bearon HB User
Lack of post fibular sesamoidectomy progress

I had a fibular sesamoidectomy in early July 2011. The incision was made thru the bottom of my foot and included removing an old scar along with the both sesamoids which were notheing but powder. No weight bearing for 2 weeks. Stitches removed, foot taped, and air boot prescribed to be worn and only limited weight bearing on heel for next 6 weeks. Tape was to keep the "went to market" toe in alignment until tendons and ligaments mended.

Fast forward to now...

Foot is relatively pain free, movement is good, balance good, toe position could be better could be worse, inflamation and swelling BAD and more often than not the top of my foot feels numb. The swelling includes the whole foot and ankle at times. Pain radiates up the outer side of my ankle to anywhere from my knee to hip. I have to tape my foot if I'm going to be mobile for any length of time ( I did this pre-op but with foam pad next to sore spot to keep weight off) Amazingly tho, the bottom of my foot doesn't feel too bad, and the new scar is Beverly Hills-worthy.

However, after reading the posts on this site, it looks like the rocovery process can take anywhere from already recovered to 4 years??

I don't feel any better than pre-op. On the bright side, tho, I don't feel worse... Not the desired result after 10+ years of foot, ankle, knee, hip, back, ahoulder and neck pain all from those two teensy, no-longer-used-by-humans bones!

Depressed? Yep!

Any hope?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
(female)

mclem HB User
Re: Lack of post fibular sesamoidectomy progress

How are you doing now?

I had a sesamoidectomy mid-March of 2012 after six years with stress fracture in sesamoid/cracked sesamoid (fibular). Nine months after surgery I'm still in a boot and have been back on crutches for two weeks. MRI showed a possible issue with remaining sesamoid bone - bone bruise, stress fracture, or avascular neucrosis. I was told I'd be able to return to full functionality after the surgery, but I've been doubting that for months now. It seems like people don't recover very well from these procedures enough of the time where doctors should be upfront and specific about possible complications.

I hope you're feeling closer to normal now - you definitely have my sympathies and support!

Closed Thread