It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
(male)

genors HB User
Smile PTT reconstruct/calcanel osteotomy 4wk post-op pain

I had a ptt reconstruction, calcaneal osteotomy and gastroc recession Dec. 16th and I am 4 weeks post op. Up to this point I would say I am doing really well. My first few days were horrible and I ended up in the hospital for 2 days trying to get ahead of my pain. I was able to stay ahead of it all after I got home the 3rd day and could manage my own meds. I was on oxy and percocet for almost a week but have been completely off any meds for almost 2 full weeks now, with the exception of the occassional Ibuprofen.

I wore a soft, flexible cast for the first 12 days and then had a hard cast put on. I had small area of adema on the outside of my heel, but otherwise the nurse said I had very little swelling and was well ahead of schedule from a visual perspective. I have had the hard cast now for 2 weeks 2 days.

I fear I may be overdoing things a bit though. For the past week I have been having a slight tingly heat stinging on my heel and outside of the heel around where my calcaneal osteotomy incisions are located. I called my drs. nurse yesterday and she said I may have a sore wearing there from my hard cast and I may need to go in and have it recast.

I work for The Home Depot and my managers have allowed me to go in for 4 hrs a day to do training on the computer, sitting with my foot up as needed. I went back 19 days after my surgery. I'm wondering if I need to slow down and go back on my short term disability and keep my foot up more, at home?!? Any suggestions? My experience from past tells me to stay active and try and do as much as I can wihout overdoing it. But in 2 months I will be 50! and sometimes I think I need to slow it down a bit.

I am hoping to be 100% in 6 months and need some advice to meet this challenge. Aside from this, I am generally in very good condition. I have an extra few lbs., maybe 10-15 but healthy otherwise.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2012, 01:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User
Re: PTT reconstruct/calcanel osteotomy 4wk post-op pain

I had ptt repair, fdl tendon transfer, calcaneal osteotomy, kidner procedure and achielles tendon lengthening in August of 2010. I did not return to work for four months post op. My job requires me to be on my feet all day. At 4 weeks post op, I do not think my foot could have tolerated being down for very long. Even to prop it up on a chair may not be enough (toes above nose). I think you should speak to your doctor and see if he/she thinks it is to much. There have been those who have returned to work much sooner then four months, but for me I do not think I could have done it. I believe at 4 weeks, I still kept my foot really elevated.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

MissyLuke and I had very similar surgeries and recovery times. I could not imagine having gone back to work at four weeks post op. My job requires me to be mobile. My doctor kept me out for four months. Most people are not close to100% for a year. If you do have a sore forming, it is very important not to ignore it. Several years ago, I fell down the steps and fractured my big toe. I ended up in a cast up to my knee. I starting to experience pain and burning by my heel. The ortho had me come into the office on a Sunday and took the cast off. I had a huge bright red blister. The ortho said that it was good that I came in. If I ended up with an open sore on my foot, it would have been serious because it dramatically increases the risk for infection and may be very slow in healing. If pain gets worse, don't ignore it. Good luck

Old 01-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
(female)

kat18219 HB User

Hi..I am in agreement with the others. I cannot believe you went back to work at 4 weeks/less or that your Dr even allowed that. I wasn't able to go back until about 7 weeks and still was completely NWB until about 8 wks. You should really still have it elevated (toes above nose). The heel has to bond before you can put any pressure on it. I'm at 10 months now post surgery and having issues again.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

Hi! Just wondering how your recovery has been since you last posted. Were you able to be at work much or was it intolerable? I run a resturant and am scared to be out of commission for so long. I will be having a very similar surgery as soon as I can get my employee problems settled. I am in ND and we have an employee shortage. I can not imagine being away from work for 4 months as much as I would like to be (under different circumstances)

Old 08-12-2012, 12:54 AM   #6
(male)

genors HB User

Tenderfoot, please listen, and listen well. I firmly believe there is NO way one can possibly be prepared to understand just how life disrupting this surgery/procedure is unless you have experienced it or personally know someone close to you that has underwent the surery. I am now almost 8 months post-op and I still have swelling and some soreness in my foot and ankle. But that said, I am glad today that I had the suregery. I am in a lot less pain now than I was before the surgery. But it has taken me 8 months to get to the point where I can say those words, it was worth it. In many ways, it seems the past 8 months have been the longest in my life.

I did go back to work within the first month, HOWEVER, I only worked 4 hour shifts for weeks, and I was sitting at a dek with my foot elevated the entire time. Did I survive? Yes. Were there complications? Yes. I developed a sore on my heel and almost had to have my foot in a hard cast for an additionak 4 weeks. And I was being incredibly cautious. I think you need to consult with your surgeon and follow his advice to the T. I was like you and thought I could not afford that much time away from my job, but you really cannot phathom just how limited you will be after this surgery. And for how LONG it will be before you are capable of conducting your life with any sense of normal activity. You really need to shoot for 4 months off if at all possible.

Sometimes I think I will never be completely healed but about that time I will turn another corner for the better. It is a very very very slow healing process and one that demands so much patience. I feel for my wife who has had to endure this past year too. She would tell you those first couple months are hell. And I'd have to agree. But I am a very stubborn, guy and I was determined I was going to live up to what my surgeon said I could do and not measure my results and progress against what all I read on the internet. And I would encourage you to do the same thing. Most all of what you read here are horror stories, and frankly that is because this is a horrible surgery to endure. But in the end, I do believe it has been worth all the pain and suffering. And that is coming from a guy that did follow his doctors orders pretty much to a T. God help someone who doesn't!!!

Be brave, be strong, go forward with the surgery if that is what you want, but just be prepared for the next 12-18 months of your life to be disrupted. The first, um, 3 or 4 months are the worst. But once you get past the boot phase, it gets a lot easier to cope with the recovery. But you will swear you will never get to that point. LOL. Funny, I never thought I would ever be able to laugh about this process. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

The Following User Says Thank You to genors For This Useful Post:
tenderfoot (08-12-2012)
Old 08-12-2012, 08:27 AM   #7
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

Thanks Genors for your honesty. Now you have me crying (not like that is anything new....ha ha) I could never be a nurse or Dr because I feel people's pain too much! When I read your post about returning to work that first month I was hopeful, but also thought that you might just be overdoing it, so I am glad you spelled it out. Learning by other's experience should save me some frustration. My family thinks I should just get this scheduled....they have no idea what the recovery and impact of this surgery will be like on all of our lives. I can't even schedule this surgery until I get my employee problems straightened out. But I really want to get this done and start the recovery...I was told by a surgeon 8 years ago that I probably would not be walking in 10 years...at this rate I now believe him. So I should probably look for a general manager to take my place. I love my little diner/soda fountain and hate to see it close. Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

I had my surgery over the summer as I am a school based speech therapist. The doctor had me on disability a total of four months. If I had a sedentary job, I would have returned at 10-12 weeks. Even though by the tI r I returned to work, I was wearing a shoe with an aso brace, the doctor had me wear the boot the first few weeks back. Expect to need a LOT of help the first three to four weeks. It was my left foot and I did not even attempt to drive until 10 weeks post op. my surgical foot will never be completely normal but I am able to walk and go throughout the day pretty much forgetting about thefoot

The Following User Says Thank You to roxygirl1 For This Useful Post:
tenderfoot (08-12-2012)
Closed Thread

Tags
foot pain, foot surgery, gastroc recession, heel shift, tendon transfer