It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
(female)

missyc75 HB User
Posterior Tibial Tendon Reconstruction with Osteotomy INFO PLEASE! Sugery Feb 9

Hello,

On December 16, 2010, I fell on ice and twisted hard as I went down. I had a bimalleolar fracture spiral. Type: Term. Definitions: 1. a fracture of the distal tibia and fibula in which the medial malleolus of the distal tibia and the lateral malleolus. I have a plate, rod and screws on the outside of ny ankle with a very ugly scare... I went through hell, it happened at 5:50am on the way to work when I stopped for a cup of coffee. A year and several opinions later, because I was always in pain on the inside of my ankle I finally had someone do an MRI which showed that I had a torn posterior tibial tendon and it had to be fixed. The way to fix it I was told I needed a three step surgery. I go in on February 9th, 2012 and I just wanted to see if anyone out there had had the Posterior Tibial Tendon reconstruction (FDL transfer and Calcaneal Osteotomy) What can I expect? I know before I became depressed because I couldn't do anything for myself. Anybody know any blogs or places to see pics or video? Anything I can do to prepare myself will help me!! Thanks so much!

Old 01-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User
Re: Posterior Tibial Tendon Reconstruction with Osteotomy INFO PLEASE! Sugery Feb 9

There are many of use who have had this surgery (along with many other procedures for flat foot!) I actually went online and watched the procedures for popliteal nerve bloc. fdl tendon transfer, ptt repair and calcaneal osteotomy. For me, I needed to see exactly what I was going to have done so I could understand the pain I would have.

Last edited by mod85; 01-31-2012 at 05:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2012, 12:44 AM   #3
(male)

genors HB User
Thumbs up Re: Posterior Tibial Tendon Reconstruction with Osteotomy INFO PLEASE! Sugery Feb 9

Hi Missy! On Dec. 16 I had a PTT reconstruction, Calcaneal Osteotomy, and Gastroc Recession on my left foot. This Friday I'll be 6 weeks post-op and yesterday I had my hard cast removed and I went into my walking boot. In some ways it seems like my surgery was just yesterday, and in other ways it seems like it was months ago. But generally, I am doing fantastic!

You may not like my first bit of advice, but I'd beg you to really consider what I am writing. You cannot unring a bell and once you do some things, they cannot be undone. My best advice is in regard the kind of information you seek before your surgery.

There are A LOT of people on this forum and other sites on the internet who have shared their PTTR/CO surgery and recovery experiences, and what I have found is that most of them are not good. And I think I made a HUGE mistake reading their horror stories about surgeries gone wrong and recovery nightmares. The week before my surgery I was a nervous wreck, scared to death, and worrying about what my outcome would be... even after my Orthopedic had told me, with confidence, that he believed my surgery would go well and he expected an excellent recovery.

After my surgery I found myself comparing my recovery to all the horror stories I had read rather than trying to live up to the expectations my surgeon set for me before hand. I almost sabbatoged my recovery in a big way. I'm sure you've heard stories of parents that have a child with a handicap that are raised in the home as if they did not have their handicap. The children, not really knowing any different, end up excelling and accomolishing so much more than a child with the same handicap but raised by parents that tell their child they can't do some things because of their handicap.

Fortunately I recognized early on what I had done and quickly set out to change my thinking when I was tempted to compare my recovery. Instead I relied on my doctor when I had questions and concerns. I called more than once with questions after the surery.

Now, all that said, there are CERTAINLY things you need to know and understand to be prepared, but be very careful to not take in information that could hinder your recovery. Hopefully you have a terific surgeon and he/she recommended surgery because they feel the outcome will give you a better quality of life than you have now. Follow your doctors instruction and do what they tells you to do and you will do great.

Some general, practical advice:
1. Make a list of all your questions and concerns and discuss them with your doctor prior to surgery. If you are not happy with their answers, get a 2nd PROFESSIONAL opinion.
2. Everyones experience is different, make your experience be yours and not a reflection of someone elses.
3. Make absolute certain that you stay ahead of your pain with meds the day of your surgery and those first couple of days. Prepare for this by making certain that whoever is with you immediately after your surgery knows to stay absolutely abreast of you med schedule with the nurse(s). If you wait until AFTER your pain block wears off (usually during the night) to start strong meds, you will be at a 9-10 pain level and it will be almost impossible to consistently stay ahead of the pain in the hospital. Do NOT depend on the hospital staff to keep you on schedule. They get distracted and/or sidetracted and they will overlook you. Have a family member or friend monitor your med schedule for you and tell the nurse(s) to keep them coming in timely manner. Good pain med management will make or break those first few days of recovery experience!
4. I think the single most effective thing I did to accelerate my recovery was to keep my foot elevated, above my heart, for those first couple weeks. If I wasn't in the bathroom, I had my foot up. It was a rule! PERIOD! And 10 days after my surgery when the nurse took off my original soft, flexible cast, I had virtually no swelling with the exception of a very small spot on the outside of my heal (lateral).
5. You WILL have very limited mobility for your first several weeks. Prepare your home for this by clearing wide paths, stock up on essentials with at least a 6 weeks supply (ie. Toilet paper and if you live alone, try and line up friends and family to be available to assist you for the first couple weeks with meals and tasks such as laundry.
6. If your tub/shower is large enough, the small shower seats are handy.
7. PRE-prepare meals! And make them simple. Especially if you live alone.
8. Go to Walgreens and purchase a cast & wound cover so you can shower. They are less than $15 and work great! With it I was able to take a shower the day I came home from the hospital and whenever I wanted.

I hope at least some of this is good information. I wish you ALL the best and trust things will go as smoothly as possible for you. Keep us posted. Blessings!

Old 01-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: Posterior Tibial Tendon Reconstruction with Osteotomy INFO PLEASE! Sugery Feb 9

Genors made some very good comments. I am 18 months post op ptt/spring ligament repair, tendon transfer, calcaneal/cotton osteotomy and gastroc lengthening. Recovery is long and at times frustrating. For me, it was so worth it. While my foot will never be normal, I can work full time and go about my day to day activites with no pain. I do have some residual reduced sensation but that is a small price to pay to get my life back.

It is true that not everyone has a great outcome but you can improve your chances of a successful surgery. Be sure to follow post op instructions, make sure you are using a surgeon who has a lot of experience with this type of surgery and make sure that you have help lined up.

Good luck

Old 01-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
(male)

genors HB User

Well said!

Old 01-27-2012, 01:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

This surgery does have a long recovery and at times a frustrating recovery. But in the end it is so worth it. Each month your foot will get stronger and feel better. The worst is all the down time after your foot starts to feel better. Will you be staying in the hospital or is it being done as an outpatient? You should be fine - just be sure to follow all of your doctors instructions. Good luck

Old 01-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
(female)

Upside HB UserUpside HB UserUpside HB User

I gotta tell you I really relied on the comments from this message board in making the final decision to get the FDL Transfer and Calcaneal Osteotomy. I carefully weighed the pros and the relatively little cons from what others wrote based on their experience. I am 3.5 months out and I can tell you I am very regretful at this time. I totally underestimated the severity/disability and disregarded the pain warnings as if I was going to miraculously escape the pain by taking a mere 5mg of Oxy. HA, I proudly call myself a moron for thinking those thoughts. This surgery has been so much more than I bargained for... I struggle to walk and my foot continues to throb. I have sleepless nights and feel hopeless. I push through the pain to just do ADLs(activities of daily living) Horror stories from others can't compare to the the very own horror story I created myself having this miserable surgery. People say,"oh you will forget the pain"....I will never, ever forget this pain...the nerve pain, heel pain, back pain, toe pain, general body pain, head pain....If I could sum it up in one word, it would be, HORRIFIC.
And that is "my" truth...

Old 01-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

Sorry to hear that you are having a tough recovery. You mentioned back pain. Are you wearing a boot when you walk? If so, your feet are uneven heights which could contribute to back pain. I bough evenups online and they helped so much. Did you have pt to increase the range of motion? What does your doctor say about the amount of pain your are in? At 3 1/2 months, I was just starting to transition from the boot to an aso brace with a sneaker. I was able to walk for 20 minutes or so at a time and then sat down awhile. I hope that things get better for you as your recovery progresses. 3 1/2 months is still fairly early in the recovery process. It is very frustrating. Hopefully in a year, you will be able to look back on the whole thing and say it was worth it.

Last edited by mod85; 01-31-2012 at 05:58 PM.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:34 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Upside: I am so sorry you are feeling so terrible. At 3.5 months, it is still early in the recovery process. At that point, I was wondering if thing would ever get better or if I would have to live with pain and an uneven gait. It will get better. It takes a full year to fully recover. When I was 3 weeks shy of a year my foot was beginning to feel my new normal. Unfortunately I had an accident at work and ended up tearing my peroneal tendon (on the surgical foot). I am 2 months out from that surgery, and my foot feels much better. Hand in there, it will get better. Also, if you have nerve pain, make sure you talk to your doctor. I had nerve pain and my doctor put me on Lyrica which really helped. After several months, I was able to wean off the Lyrica and had NO nerve pain.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:16 AM   #10
(female)

Thank you for your replies of concern, they do make me feel better. I just thought I would be better by now and I am not. I did do PT but my last session was last week. I was out of my boot@12 weeks and into sneakers. I never walked in my boot. I can walk, it is just a "wonky" hoppy walk and then my knee hurts along with the nerve issues. I am waiting for my doctor to call me which could take days or weeks, another bad decision on my part(chop shop take a number doctor and staff could careless) I will get through this, I know, I am just exhausted by the attempts to feel normal again. Going right now to the treadmill to hit 1.4mph top speed while holding handrails, walking a quarter mile...woohoooooo!!Again thanks for your concern

Old 01-31-2012, 12:32 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Did your doctor clear you to do the treadmill. My doctor does not want me to do a treadmill----ever again because stepping wrong can put pressure on the ptt.

Make sure your doctor clears you for particular exercises

Old 01-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #12
(male)

dubpt HB Userdubpt HB User

I am 13 weeks post calcaneal osteotomy, gastroc recession and 1st TMT fusion. Currently still in PT and I am spending 75% of the time in my shoes and remaining time in the boot. I have not returned back to work yet, but hope to by 16weeks with a combo of shoes and boot use.

Upside, I am suprised to hear that you have limitations in walking, but you have finished PT already. Was there a reason to quite early vs continue. Even if you are finished with PT I would continue with the home program to progress your strength, as walking limitations often have a large muscular weakness contribution.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:11 AM   #13
(female)

Hmmm.....I have no limits on my foot per the doctor. My only limit is pain because I just can't walk faster than 1.4mph without holding onto the handrails. I am more afraid to walk outside...my ankle used to roll all the time due to unstable surfaces, i.e. small stones on blacktop. Guess what?
My foot took a turn in the last 2 days to 50% better with the nerves. I slept for the first time last night through the night with out flipping and flopping. WOOOHOOOO! Maybe waiving the white flag worked!! HA!

Old 04-16-2012, 11:11 PM   #14
(female)

missyc75 HB User

Hello Everyone,

Well it has been 68 days since my surgery! I was good and listened to all the advice you all gave out and it was great, I thought I was progressing very good by working on my range of motion at home and icing a lot then I started OT and realized I really had a ways to go. I can barely walk and put weight on my foot. I am getting very frusterated! They have me on a balance machine at PT, do ulttrasound and massage it. The balance machine is brutal and I am in oain afterwards. When will I be able to walk normal? I am still in my boot but always in pain help any advice to restore my faith???

Old 04-17-2012, 06:42 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missy. I was non weight bearing for a bit over 8 weeks. Both my surgeon and pt said that pt may be a bit uncomfortable but you should never be IN PAIN from pt. Perhaps your pt is too agressive. You may want to talk with your doctor.

Closed Thread