It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
(female)

sealz HB User
Bone Marrow Edema within lateral talus and calcaneus

Surgery May 2011 for OCD leison and Brostrom. Started PT in Aug, stopped in Oct bc of increasing pain. OS said to rest ankle and come back if pain persists. Yes it did, and in Jan 2012 he did MRI that revealed
"1) nondisplaced fracture of the anterior process of the calcaneus
2) nonspecific bone marrow edema within the lateral talus and calcaneus with surrounding soft tissue inflammation and edema. This is nonspecific and possible related to contusion or stress reaction. No discrete fracture is seen.
3) Small osteochondral lesion in the lateral talar dome. Overlying cortical irregularity is seen. On one image there is cortical disruption in the posteromedial aspect of the lesion and a small amount of fluid may be underlining the lesion. The lesion appears in situ, however. MR arthrography may be helpful for further evaluion if clinically warranted.
4) Trace tibiotalar and subtalar joint effusion"
I of course have spoken with my OS about these results and still don't really understand it all. He's great and says to take one step at a time, so right now I'm NWB for 4 weeks to help with BME. He told me that 70-80% can get improvement with NWB. I'm praying that I'm in this! However, the last couple days I've had periods of intense pain in my ankle. Is that part of the healing? I think the internet can somewhat worry people unnecessarily, but I also think it can arm you with questions to take to your doctor.
I would like any feedback you all can give me.
Blessings!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
(female)

dizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB User
Re: Bone Marrow Edema within lateral talus and calcaneus

What surgery did they do for the OCD?

Old 02-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
(female)

sealz HB User

Sorry for the delay in responding. I had Talus OCD repair. He said wathe fracture was like 1 cm, I think. He cleaned out the cartilage and drilled holes in cart. to promote new growth and healing.
I know nothing about bone marrow edema. I return to OS tomorrow because I've had a lot of pain. Sometimes it feels like a knife being stabbed in my bone.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Edema just means swelling. So does effusion. Basically, the MRI shows that the bone is not quite right. There could be a lot of causes, though, ranging from a fall to something completely different.

Closed Thread