It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012, 03:58 AM   #61
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User
Re: Preparing for Ankle Surgery-Have Questions!

Good luck and speedy recovery.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:18 AM   #62
(female)

trishab65 HB User

wow, i had brostrom dec 21 on wed at 10am, stayed in the hospital for 3days cast splint on for 2 weeks airboot came on for 6weeks just took it off i think 3weeks ago. im not having much trouble on the atfl that was repaired, but im having alot of tibia pain on the inside of my ankle, with your experience wondering if you knew what it could be. i stopped all pain meds 4weeks ago too. i walk okay standing longer than 20 minutes hurt.
im 46 and fractured the tip of the fib last june. crazy how dr lag on things. i wish u luk

The following user gives a hug of support to trishab65:
wilkinak (02-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #63
Inactive
(female)

wilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB User

Good Luck. Eat lots tonight.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #64
(female)

trishab65 HB User

thank you wilk
i see a new therapist on monday, and dr a week friday,,,hopefully this will get better in time

i pray for all of you to get well too.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #65
Inactive
(female)

wilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB User

Hang in there Trisha, sounds like we've been in the same boat. You know, the cruise ship that sank in the Med this winter

The Following User Says Thank You to wilkinak For This Useful Post:
trishab65 (02-22-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #66
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Hi everyone!! Just popping on for a bit to let everyone know I'm home from surgery and doing fairly well. I will post all the details later, but so far pain not bad, but I was given a lot of morphine in the OR and 2 percocet before I left the hospital and taking 2 every 4 hours for the first couple of days. SO glad to be on the other side!!

JOYFUL--how did yours go???

How is everyone else??

The following 6 users give hugs of support to: Hollywood48
Amethy5t (02-23-2012), Chopper Slipper (02-22-2012), erin4 (02-23-2012), Loretta> (02-23-2012), MrsHeidi (02-22-2012), SENIORLADYJOCK (02-23-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #67
(female)

trishab65 HB User

your a crack up...lol
glad to hear everyone is doing good

Old 02-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #68
(female)

MrsHeidi HB UserMrsHeidi HB UserMrsHeidi HB UserMrsHeidi HB User

Glad to hear things are going well so far.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:01 AM   #69
(female)

SENIORLADYJOCK HB User

The best part is waking up in the recovery room and knowing it is OVER...no more dreading the procedure.....you'll still have to deal with pain but now you've got recovery in your sights!!!

Tons of good luck sent your way

Old 02-23-2012, 04:49 AM   #70
Inactive
(female)

And another one makes it to the other side.

Enjoy today and the drugs...tomorrow, well, just enjoy today.

Heck I went grocery shopping and to lunch (at the store) the day after. The scooters there are great on percocet; you just have to be careful to not hit the little old ladies.

Last edited by wilkinak; 02-23-2012 at 04:54 AM.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #71
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

SENIORLADY--You are exactly right!! Awesome to wake up in recovery and know its over!!!

WILKINAK--I did enjoy yesterday and today. I still had morphine and percocet on board yesterday and of course just Percocet today. Everything tasted funny yesterday b/c of the anesthesia. I haven't gone anywhere today but I feel I could if I wanted too. Going somewhere tomorrow!

JOYFUL?? How are you sweetie?

Last edited by Administrator; 02-24-2012 at 09:31 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood48 For This Useful Post:
Loretta> (02-23-2012)
Old 02-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #72
(female)

Loretta> HB UserLoretta> HB UserLoretta> HB UserLoretta> HB User

So glad you are doing okay! Been thinking and praying for you!

Last edited by Administrator; 02-24-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:10 AM   #73
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ok thought I'd share my surgical experience so far! It went really well actually!

I got to the hospital at 6am and since I'd already pre-registered all I had to do was write my name down, the time I checked in and my surgeon's name and then sit down and wait to be called.

After I got called backed and changed, the doctor came and talked to my husband and me and he took the purple surgical pen and dotted where the incision would be and then wrote his initials on the correct (left) ankle. Talked to us again about the procedure and everything. Then asked what I'd like to go home on for pain and wrote me both prescriptions I asked for (percocet and vistaril). Then the anesthesiologist came in and talked to me. They gave me antibiotics through my IV and some versed and off I went to the OR. I barely remember the OR and getting on the table. I know I had a conversation with the OR nurses but I don't remember what I said. Oh and my pre-op RN introduced herself, my OR scrub and circulating RNs came and introduced themselves and my recovery room and post-op RNs introduced themselves.

When I woke up from surgery, my dad and husband were there and the PACU RN. My foot was in a fiberglass cast that was sliced on both sides and wrapped with ACE bandages and the doctor told us we could unwrap it and expand it for swelling if needed. I haven't had to do that. They gave me saltine crackers and diet coke right away, but my mouth was so dry from the anesthesia it was like eating cement. Took me about an hour to eat 5 saltine crackers between the dry mouth and the extremely altered taste! They had given me a lot of morphine in the OR so I wasn't hurting. I don't think my pain level ever got about a 2-3/10. After I had eaten enough crackers, I took the 2 percocets right before I left the hospital. I got dressed and got a little hot and did throw up a little just from being hot and dizzy, not b/c I was sick from anesthesia or anything. I do well with anesthesia.

We got our stuff together and the RN even gave me a diet coke for the road and they wheeled me out and helped me get in the car. My husband drove to the pharmacy and dropped off my Rx's and then got me home and in bed and my mom was at my house waiting on us. She stayed with me while my husband went back to the pharmacy to pick up my Rx's and went to get pizza (had to have something with strong flavor to overcome my altered taste!) and doughnuts for a treat! I felt great and didn't even take a nap. My mom and I talked until my sister got there from work and then the 3 of us chatted like it was a normal day! They left early evening and my husband and I watched TV and then crashed. I took the percocet every 4 hours for pain. Set my alarm through the night. I'm still taking it around the clock. I didn't sleep well the first night only b/c of positioning and getting up every 4 hours for meds, not b/c of pain. I slept on my side and my stomach with pillows propping my leg. I've even been able to hang my leg down and it hasn't swelled or hurt which is very surprising!

This morning (so post-op day #1 or POD 1), my husband helped me get my cast protector on and into the shower. We have a shower bench and I used it like a knee walker and knelt on it with the bad leg and showered like normal and then my husband helped me get out and dressed. My friend came over to stay with me and my husband went to work. I hung out on the couch really only getting up to go to the bathroom or show my friend where something was. It hurt a little more today only b/c I didn't have any anesthesia or morphine on board any longer, but still my pain never got over a 3/10. I've been able to move my toes without pain too. I feel the incision and where the pain is. He wound up fixing the CFL, the ATFL, the retinaculum and where he thought he was repairing a longitudinal split in my peroneal longus tendon, he found it to be "shredded"!!! Shredded is the term he told my husband! Wow! No wonder it hurt! He also did do the fibular groove deepening where he had to drill and as he said basically "break" the bone. I feel that some, but still not bad. I've actually had energy today and not my usual anesthesia hangover. My friend cooked us dinner and we watched a movie and talked, etc. So it's going well. Except for that our air went out today and it was 75 degrees here today b/c my state can't figure out it's WINTER! But tomorrow, it'll be 57 for the high and 36 for the low and the air will be defrosted (it froze up). So all-in-all, I've been very pleased *knock on wood* with how things have gone. I called and made my post-op appt for Tues 2/28 at 3:30 where I'll get the surgical splint/cast off and my regular cast put on for 2 wks and then I'll get a boot for at least 3 more weeks, but all 6 will be on crutches, NWB.

So just wanted to encourage people out there than there are good experiences. This is my 6th overall surgery (only 2nd ankle surgery) and this was probably my best hospital experience. Hope this helps people and I will continue to post my progress on here!

Would love to hear from the rest of you!! Especially JOYFUL! Anyone hear from her yet? Really worried about her!

Old 02-24-2012, 04:34 AM   #74
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I am so glad that everything went so well and continues to go well for you. Its amazing that they found so many problems. Fortunately he found them and they are fixed. Hopefully this will be your last surgery. Good luck with recovery.

The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
Hollywood48 (02-29-2012)
Old 02-24-2012, 04:48 AM   #75
Inactive
(female)

That's pretty much how my experience was except for 2 differences:

The surgeon was running late so my 1:00 time was pushed to after 2:00. Not a real big deal except for sitting in pre-op for an extra hour and a half and then my ride had to drive me home in rush hour DC area traffic which was distinctly NOT the plan since my driver is unfamiliar with it.

and

After going through the rigamorole of signing/drawing on the right foot, somebody started to put the local in my left one. Nothing done beyond an 18 gauge needlemark, but just par for the course for my overall foot doctor/surgeon experience.

I didn't have any problems with the anesthesia (other than I'm a crabby when I wake up) and had no nausea. I did have some constipation from the percocet, and probably wouldn't have if I'd taken the (prescribed) colace sooner.

I didn't find the pain to be that bad. I'd been off pain killers/ant-inflammatories for about 6 weeks prior because I was switching drugs, so I was pretty accustomed to living with the pain. The percocet was a welcome change. My surgery was scar tissue debridement; he basically took the top layer off of the ATFL. It felt the same postop as pre-op, which made sense. Previously it hurt b/c the scarring was in the way, afterward it hurt b/c of the removal - all the same area. At 4 weeks I'm full weight bearing and almost pain free, at least I was until I started PT!

Last edited by Administrator; 03-25-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Closed Thread