It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
(female)

Buggster59 HB User
Question Lapidus Bunionectomy What type of cast goes on after surgery?

Hi, I'm a 52 year old female scheduled for surgery on my left foot. I'm concerned about the type of cast for instance - how far up on the foot does it go & what is it made of. I'm getting nervous & don't know if I even want to see the dr for the final visit to wait & ask these questions. I have 5 steps to go up to get into my house & he told me I can't bear any weight for 6-8 weeks. I don't know how I'm going to be able to get around. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Lapidus Bunionectomy What type of cast goes on after surgery?

Well, every doctor is different so you're better off asking him. And just take the steps one at a time and slowly. Have you been practicing on your crutches? Strongly suggest you do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
(female)

MrsHeidi HB UserMrsHeidi HB UserMrsHeidi HB UserMrsHeidi HB User

I had microfracture drilling so not the same thing. I didn't get a cast just a wrap but I am NWB for 6 weeks. I have to go up 8-9 steps to get in my fron door. As the previous poster suggested just take it one step at a time. Take your time. My doctor had me got toa physical therapy appointment to learn how to use the crutches prior to my surgery. I was very glad as I was overly concerned about the stairs. It was very informative.

I agree that you should consult with your doctor to have your questions answered. Every doctor is different. Be sure to write them down to ensure you remember to ask them all. Can you email them so you don't have to wait for your appointment?

Good luck with your surgery, be sure to check the coping with NWB sticky at the top if the page. It is very informative to help you get prepared for when you get home after surgery.

The Following User Says Thank You to MrsHeidi For This Useful Post:
Buggster59 (02-11-2012)
Old 02-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #4
(female)

Buggster59 HB User

Hi, thanks for replying to me. I can't believe all the preparation needed for this surgery!! I do have crutches that I've been practicing with & I'm not getting good at it so far. I'm considering a knee walker but it can be costly. Will have to do the best I can.

Closed Thread