It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
(female)

jtruair HB User
Unhappy Sprained ankle Grade 3 symptoms?

I recently sprained my ankle (inversion). Immediate pain was felt followed by no pain. An hour later I was unable to walk on my foot. I did see a Foot Dr that afternoon. There are no fractures, he did X Rays. He suspects a torn ligament so he put me in a walking boot. He said I would be in the boot for 4-6 weeks. I have very little swelling and barely any bruising. Its been about 6 days now since the injury and have stayed in the boot. When i take it off I can bare weight and limp around with no pain but extreme weakness and instablity. I also can not move my foot up and down and side to side. My toes are unwilling to wiggle. i feel as though my foot is dead. I also have some pain and tenderness that travels up the calf, but not extreme. I am concerned for my foot. Do these symptoms sound typical to that of a grade 2 or 3 sprain?

Old 02-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: Sprained ankle Grade 3 symptoms?

Those are interesting symptoms. A lot of times with grade 3 ankle sprains, the person will feel instant pain followed by no pain at all. However, I don't think I've ever heard of a grade 3 ankle sprain that had very little swelling or discoloration, but I suppose it's possible. Does it hurt to wiggle/move your toes or do they not move even when you try? That's an important difference. If you can't move your toes when you try (and not b/c of pain), and you feel like your foot is "dead" and pain traveling up your calf, I wonder about a possible (not definite) nerve injury? You can have referred pain into your calf from an ankle injury just like you can have referred pain into the foot and toes from an ankle injury. Also wonder if your doctor checked you for a syndesmotic injury or a "high" ankle sprain? Xrays were definitely the first thing to do. Most of the time now, insurance companies won't approve MRIs until symptoms have persisted for 6 weeks or greater, especially given your ability to bear weight with minimal pain, minimal swelling and discoloration. But if these symptoms continue, I think it's appropriate to ask your doctor for one if he doesn't suggest it himself. How did the injury occur?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
(female)

jtruair HB User

It does not hurt to wiggle my toes. I too thought it was strange that the swelling and bruising were minimal. I injured it dancing, my ankle went inward. It was intense pain immediatly. The doctor didnt do much, I think based on the fact taht I could not walk on the foot he booted it. Its been a week and I am trying to keep the boot on. I think I might get a second opinion. I am having a hard time not knowing exactly whats wrong with it.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

I don't blame you on wanting to get a 2nd opinion. I might do the same thing. Ok, so it doesn't hurt to move your toes, you just CAN'T? If so, that's a little worrisome especially if you don't have much swelling to prevent your toes from moving. Also you say your ankle went in when you injured it. So your foot rolled out and your ankle went in or your foot rolled in and your ankle went out? Ankle going in (or eversion injury) would elicit pain on the medial (inside) aspect of the ankle. Is that where your pain is or is it on the outside?

I can see why the doctor booted your ankle/foot if you can't put weight on your foot without it. Is that still the case? Where exactly does your ankle/foot hurt the worst?

Old 02-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
(female)

jtruair HB User

It was an inversion injury, sorry about that. My ankle went outward. My range of motion is a little better today, I am wondering if maybe my foot was weakened from the wearing the boot but it doesnt seem possible for that to happen that quickly. I have a second opinion scheduled for tomorrow.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ok let us know how the 2nd opinion goes and what he says and recommends!

Closed Thread