It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
(female)

mutedgirl HB User
Unhappy Need advice about cotton osteotomy!

Hey, so it's me again!
My surgery is in 10 days (17th feb, Agghhhh!!!) and i just have some kinda last minute worries that i haven't thought of before now. firstly i would like to ask if there is anything that anyone would reccomend to have for the nwb period (How would i keep my foot elevated during the day and night?), what is the pain like on a scale of 1-10 (10 being highest) when you first came round, how did you find crutches (as i will be on them for 3 months) because i will have to use them round school and if anyone had the bone taken from thier hip in the lateral column lengthening did it hurt?
Sorry for all the questions!
p.s. i am having a lateral column lengthening, cotten osteotomy and achilles tendon lengthening (I'm 13 y/o)
thanks xxx

Old 02-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: Need advice about cotton osteotomy!

Look under sticky thread at strategies for non weight bearing. I put several pillows under my foot to elevate. You can buy a foam wedge (not real expensive) in a surgical supply store to help elevate your foot. I would definitely have an elevated toilet seat. We got a good one that is mounted on a metal frame. You just plop the entire thing over your toilet. I got it at a local pharmacy chain store for under $50.00. A shower chair is also helpful as well as a cast cover. Evenups were a life saver---helped limit back and hip pain from the two feet being uneven lenghts due to the cast/boot, I am not great on crutches and found a knee walker rental helped me a lot. If you are good on crutches then they will be fine. Pain the first week was managed pretty well by rx pain meds and after that, I quickly weaned off pain meds. By week three, I only took one pill before bedtime to help me sleep at night

The Following User Says Thank You to roxygirl1 For This Useful Post:
mutedgirl (02-08-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2012, 04:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I used a wheelchair, crutches and the kneewalker. I was fortunate, one of the guys I work with borrowed a wheelchair and he saw a doctor at the hospital with a kneewalker and hounded him for it. I found that at night and first thing in the morning the wheelchair worked best for me. At first, the important thing is to keep your foot elevated and iced and only get up to use the bathroom. I was not lucky enough to be able to get into my shower - I would of had to step down into it and I was afraid I would lose my footing. Be sure to read the sticky thread on non-weightbearing following foot surgery. There are so many suggestions of what to have before surgery.

The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
mutedgirl (02-08-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
(female)

mutedgirl HB User

my mom is an occupational therapist but she works with physio's so they gave her a set of (elbow) crutches (thats what they use in england) or me to practice on. i have been having a few problems; firstly, i'm finding my hand is hurting after like 5 minutes and secondly, my other foot is hurting like hell from all the pressure that i am placing on it. did anyone else have this problem? i so, what did you do to try and combat it?
thanks xxx

Old 02-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

I found that regular crutches were uncomfortable for me. I used a two wheeled walker. I had never realized that you could actually use a walker NWB. Could you rent a knee walker?

Old 02-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User

I used a two wheeled walker at first and when in the house. A kneewalker outside the house. Didn't graduate to crutches until I was pwb. Good luck!

Old 02-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
(male)

dubpt HB Userdubpt HB User

I primarily used the knee walker during the NWB phase and progressed to a crutches and a four wheeled walker (to carry items on the seat) once in the PWB phase. I started with regular crutches, but found Millennial In Motion Pro Crutches that have better contured hand grips for greater wrist comfort and I find them easier to walk with.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
(female)

mutedgirl HB User

Does anyone know if they do them in England? (knee walkers)

Old 02-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
(female)

mutedgirl HB User

does anyone know some really good cast covers that don't let water in them as i don't want to get my cast wet but obviously need to wash
thanks xxx

Old 02-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #10
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User

I found the best thing was a big plastic bag and wrapped the end with press and seal wrap from Glad.

The Following User Says Thank You to swimbunnie For This Useful Post:
mutedgirl (02-12-2012)
Old 02-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #11
(male)

dubpt HB Userdubpt HB User

I used the dry pro waterproof cast cover after my surgery and it worked very well.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:37 AM   #12
(female)

mutedgirl HB User

So, my surgery is tomorrow but I'm a bit nervous about the pain. Was it really sore and if so is there anything I can ask for to help reduce it as my pain threshold isn't very good.
Thanks

Old 02-16-2012, 02:58 AM   #13
(female)

Beat of luck...my advice is to stay AHEAD of the pain. Don't try to tough it out those first few days. I did and it wasn't fun. They gave me dilaudid when it got bad. That worked well. Again, best of luck.

Last edited by swimbunnie; 02-16-2012 at 03:00 AM.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:56 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

Your doctor will give you a script for pain killers. At first take them when they are do - do not wait for the pain. If you wait to take the pills until it really hurts, it may be hard to control the pain. You want to stay ahead of the pain. Most important, keep your foot elevated (toes above the nose) and iced. Good luck.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good luck with your surgery. I will echo the response of others......keep ahead of the pain

Closed Thread