It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
(male)

johnnydx11229 HB User
Help Ankle Fracture Recovery

I broke my ankle on MLK day and i did my surgery just last week. After a week i had an appointment and they put me in a walking boot and they say about 6 weeks then no crutches. He also said after that , i can put minmal weight on it. What does that mean? Do i have to keep wearing the boot for walking, or can i wear regular shoes

Old 02-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Help Ankle Fracture Recovery

So right now you are in a boot and also on crutches? And something about six weeks?

I don't know if your doctor meant 6 weeks until you start putting weight on it or six weeks until you are done with crutches. Broken ankles vary greatly in severity, so I would call the doctor back and ask for clarification.

Non weight bearing: you walk with crutches and keep your foot up in the air.

Partial weight bearing: you walk with crutches, but your foot touches the ground. Part of your weight is on the bad foot, part on the crutches.

I would guess that you are supposed to be non-weight bearing for a while, then partial weight bearing in boot, then walk in the boot for a while, then you can start walking in a regular shoe. However, I have no idea what your particular timetable is.

For now, do keep your foot elevated as much as possible. And hang in there, foot injuries are no fun!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread