It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
(male)

Diabetic1 HB User
Question Ankle surgery questions

I broke my ankle back in August 2011.I've been in a walking boot since then.I am unemployed,no insurance,and live alone.Because I make too much on unemployment I can't get medical help.I found a free clinic to go to and the ortho dr. said I need major reconstruction surgery.He can't do it due to too much for him.He is a hip and shoulder ortho dr.My free clinic dr said I need a plate,screws,and a rod.There is a 1/4" gap in my fibula and this is causing my foot to turn inward.I'm moving back to La. because they have charity hospitals there that will help me.Anyone know what is involved with my type of break and the surgical procedure? Recovery time?

Old 02-13-2012, 01:14 AM   #2
(male)

Diabetic1 HB User
Question Re: Ankle surgery questions

Over 400 views and no one can answer my q?. Anyone here ever broke their ankle?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2012, 02:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User
Re: Ankle surgery questions

I have not broken my ankle, but have had several foot surgeries. Did the doctor say what procedures need to be done? Recovery time depends on what procedures are being done. But if there will be hardware put in, I would think that recovery would include 6-8 weeks on NWB followed by PWB. I had flat foot reconstruction in 8/2010. I was out for four months following surgery. Eight weeks were total NWB. Recovery is long and definitely has its ups and downs. There is a sticky thread about being NWB following foot surgery. I would read this because it is quite informative on how to be better prepared for surgery - what to have beforehand and what to do when you are NWB. Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
Diabetic1 (02-13-2012)
Closed Thread