It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User
cramping in bottom of foot

I am hoping that one of you very intelligent people can answer this. I began having cramps in the bottom of my foot during the night last night. It was bad enough to wake me up and keep me up. I did not think anything more about it today until I started having the same cramping in my foot again. I know I am not doing to much for it to act like this. Due to some ongoing problems with this foot, I am in the boot again and not doing a whole lot as the doctor wants me to rest my foot as much a possible. Does anyone have any idea of what could be causing the cramping? It is really uncomfortable.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB User
Re: cramping in bottom of foot

Does it happen more at night than during the day?

If so, it may be nerve related. It happened to me after my last surgery - I was home for a week and the cramping started. It was excruciating...mine felt like a Charlie horse in my arch which cramped and eventually it moved throughout my foot and while I thought it was maybe dehydration, lack of potassium, etc, I went to my OS and he knew immediately it was nerve related.

Have you told your OS about it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2012, 02:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I have not spoken to the doc about this yet. I went to see him last Monday, for what should have been my last appt. (had peroneal tendon repair 11/22/11). I had been having alot of pain and aching at that time and he felt my recovery was not normal and put me back in the boot for 4 four weeks. He did probably one of the most thorough foot examinations I have had and ruled out any nerve involvement at that time. I had another surgery in 8/10 on this foot for flat foot reconstruction and did have nerve damage with that surgery. I may still have a script for Lyrica. If it continues to happen, maybe I will take the Lyrica and see if it helps. At least then I will know if it is nerve related.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB User

I was on Lyrica too and it absolutely helped with the nerve pain. Just know its not just like taking a painkiller when you need it..you need to start it correctly and come off of it correctly.

See if your pain becomes worse - at least with mine it went from some cramping which was tolerable to pretty excruciating over a 2 week period so hopefully yours goes the other way and stops

Mine was nerve compression from scar tissue from my many ankle surgeries over the past 5 years and because of a surgery to correct my foot, a nerve also got stretched. 2 nerve release surgeries now in the past 6 months and now I am in waiting mode to see what happens and what I will end up with.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 02-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
(male)

reptilean HB User

I haven't had foot surgery (yet) but have had periods of severe cramps in foot and calf muscles. In my case, it turned out to be calcium and magnesium deficiency. I started taking calcium and magnesium supplements and within a few days the problem stopped. I continue to take them and haven't had a recurrence.

No doubt there are many possible causes but if you re lucky, it might just be that simple to fix.

I hope you find the solution, whatever it is, as cramps can be excuciating.

Closed Thread