It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
(female)

Merlin58 HB User
Thumbs down Knee walker disadvantages

I recently had a complex foot surgery on my left foot and was not permitted to bear any weight on that injured foot. I had a great deal of difficulty with crutches and a regular walker. I thought I had found the perfect solution when I came across a knee walker. Was I ever wrong. I had no idea that while I was going along day to day on my knee walker patiently waiting for my foot to heal, that I was in fact putting undue pressure on my good leg by using it to propel myself around on the knee walker. The end result....my foot finally healed and I was excited to resume walking activities and get back into an exercise routine. Once I began walking again, I started to feel increasing pain in my right knee on my good leg. I ended up going to the doctor only to find out that my use of the knee walker had put undue stress on my good leg...the end result was a torn meniscus and permanently damaged cartillage and stress fractures in my right leg. The doctor said it was caused by the stress of propelling myself around on the knee walker. I ended up having to have surgery to repair the tear and the doctor said that he couldn't do much with the damage to the cartillage. The end of the story is that I cannot resume my walking activities, too much stress on the leg and will have to settle for water aerobics and light bicycling. The knee walkers should be used with great care as they can tip over quite easily. If you do decide to purchase one, make sure it is the type that steers and also make sure you get the one set up for the correct leg. There is a right and a left setup. Good luck and be careful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
(female)

MrsHeidi HB UserMrsHeidi HB UserMrsHeidi HB UserMrsHeidi HB User
Re: Knee walker disadvantages

I am so terribly sorry to read this. I have been using a knee walker(w/ steering) since my arthroscopic drilling 3 weeks ago. Depending on where I am going I do use my crutches when out of the house for small excursions or if I am with friends. However, outings that require a lot of walking I have been using the knee walker. I love it and can't imagine getting along without it.

How long did you use the knee walker? How can you tell the difference between a right or left set up? How far were you walking? This is so s ary as I love moderate to high impact aerobic exercise classes. I was hoping to get back to them next year sometime. I hope with time that things improve and your able to get back to walking.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
(female)

MrsHeidi HB UserMrsHeidi HB UserMrsHeidi HB UserMrsHeidi HB User
Re: Knee walker disadvantages

I am so terribly sorry to read this. I have been using a knee walker(w/ steering) since my arthroscopic drilling 3 weeks ago. Depending on where I am going I do use my crutches when out of the house for small excursions or if I am with friends. However, outings that require a lot of walking I have been using the knee walker. I love it and can't imagine getting along without it.

How long did you use the knee walker? How can you tell the difference between a right or left set up? How far were you walking? This is so s ary as I love moderate to high impact aerobic exercise classes. I was hoping to get back to them next year sometime. I hope with time that things improve and your able to get back to walking.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
(female)

Merlin58 HB User
Wink Re: Knee walker disadvantages

Hello Mrs. Heidi, very sorry to hear of your health troubles. I used the knee walker for several weeks, off and on. When I first had the original foot surgery, I never in my life dreamed I would have three more foot surgeries. Just when I thought I was out of the woods and starting to walk little, by little is when I starting feeling the pain in my good leg/knee. I was very disheartened to hear that I would have to now have surgery on the very leg that I had come to depend on. No one ever mentioned to me that this could become a problem. The very original knee walker that I had for a very short time was an older model that did not steer and had the brake on the right side, so as I used my right leg to walk, it constantly bumped against my good leg, causing it to be black and blue. Not pretty. I wasn't walking far at all. I just used the walker to get around the bottom floor of my home, very small, to go to the doctor and to run a couple errands to grocery or drug store. Never went on long walks. I do so hope the best for you and hope that since you have been on it a such a short time that you will be able to get back to the aerobics that you enjoy As for me, the meniscus tear was repaired, the hairline fractures will heal, but the damage to the cartillage is the problem and because of that, the doctor said he does not recommend that I ever go back to long walks. Only light bicycling and water aerobics. Just try to remember to go gently with the walker and not to overexert your good leg. One way of looking at it is if you were to put your car in reverse and throw it into gear, rather than gently applying the brake and then going forward, you would wear out your transmission. Just a thought If my posting here helps anyone to avoid this unfortunate outcome, I will be happy. Best of luck to you for a full recovery.

Closed Thread