It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
(male)

amarillokid HB User
Subtalor Joint Arthritis

I just had a cortisone injection into subtalor joint following a fratured calcaneus 11 months ago . I read that a fused joint is down the road. Are there any other options ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2012, 05:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB User
Re: Subtalor Joint Arthritis

I've had subtalar issues for a few years - cortisone injections helped but only for short term relief. I had a subtalar fusion in April and am glad to say the pain is gone!

Yes, my ability to walk on sand for example is limited but I'll take that over the pain anyday

Compared to other ankle surgeries I've had, subtalar fusion was a piece of cake.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

I too have had a subtalar fusion. The thing you have to remember is fusing the subtalar joint won't affect your up and down movement of your ankle. It isn't nearly as limiting as a tibiotalar fusion. There really aren't other options for subtalar arthritis.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

How do you disguinish arthritis from general pain, or is it all pretty much arthritis? I shattered myu calcaneaus and talus three years ago, wrecking my STJ. They were not able to perform surgery due to swelling.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
(male)

toomanynow HB User
Thumbs up Re: Subtalor Joint Arthritis

I had this fusion in Dec-2010. The bone graf did not fuse the joint. I got a second opinion and will have another fusion surgery this year. This time the surgeon will be more aggressive using another bone graf and installing an electronic stimulator in the bone to help mend. Another 6-9 months of recovery but I'm too active to retire to the recliner.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

I do think I do better when I take ibuprohen most mornings. Get to it before it gets bad. Like so much, its hard to really quantify. Not like you can measure. So much is bad on activity, yesterday's activity and the weather, and elves.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
(male)

Victimofgravity HB UserVictimofgravity HB User

I see I'm late to join this thread, but I have a couple of comments/questions about this same topic.
About a year and a half ago I fell off a roof, shattering both heels, basically destroying the cartilege and causing instant arthritis in both feet.
I recieved a single injection in the left sub-talar joint last October, as it was the worst one at the time. The injection made a great difference in the pain level, although it only lasted until around Christmas, so less than 3 months. It wasn't reducing any further damage, however, it was simply disguising it. I could still feel the joint heating up when walking, and the inflamation was ongoing, it just wasn't as painful, and therefore I felt that I was at risk of overdoing it and not realizing the damage being done.
The surgeon advised me that the only other option is the fusion, but I am only 40, and therefore he did not recommend that I underwent the surgery until the absolute worst case scenario. His concern is that after fusion, the joint no longer flexes, which means that the ankle takes more abuse. His opinion is that I will need to undergo ankle fusion within 10 years of the sub-talar fusion.
Has anyone had this surgery that can confirm or deny this worry?

The Following User Says Thank You to Victimofgravity For This Useful Post:
fermac (04-20-2012)
Old 04-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
(female)

Armstead HB UserArmstead HB UserArmstead HB User

I had a subtalar fusion 2 years ago and last year they had to take out the hardware due to non-union during another surgery. I too have subtalar arthritis and it is extremely painful. My doc has said the same thing to me that the cure is a fusion. Since I have had 2 extensive surgeries within 2 years, I am not rushing into the OR again right away. I have elected to be fitted for a custom brace which happens next week. I am hoping the brace offers me relief or I will be back in the OR sooner than later also. Since my first surgery was a non-union, and my second surgery resulted in necrosis of my incision, I want to try the conservative method of wearing a rigid ankle brace. I know at some point in my future I will need additional surgery. I have systemic arthritis as well and the injections have not provided relief, and I already take an enormous amount of anti-inflammatory meds, so ibuorofen doesn't work either. Limited activity, elevating my foot whenever I can, and using ice or heat helps some. As far as the limitation of movement, there is very little restriction in my up/down movements before the subtalar joint started to flare. The side to side movements are definitely less, but this does not affect my daily life activities.
I wish you luck!!
Armstead

Old 04-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #9
(male)

Victimofgravity HB UserVictimofgravity HB User

Oh, I forgot to mention that I do have two articulated ankle braces, that help to restrict left/right ankle rotations, which does help to reduce the grinding when I walk. (Less movement= less inflamation)
They took a little while to adapt to, but I am used to them and although I'm not looking forward to displaying them in shorts, they do make enough of a difference that I will still wear them in the summer. They allow full up/down movement of the foot, within the rotational ability of my ankles, they just brace against my upper calf and help to support me on uneven ground, etc.

Heads up, the braces cost approx. $1500 ea

Last edited by Victimofgravity; 04-20-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

I wear 8" lace up boots, when not in the house, and I think that helps. I think I do decent on uneven ground. I am still doing lots of running around the woods. Not to say I don't spend some pain currency.

Closed Thread