It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
(female)

LizardK HB User
Brostrom repair

I read a lot of posts on this board before my surgery (1/3/12) so I thought I'd share a little bit of my experience since. I fell down the stairs in November 2011 and a stress xray (ouch) revealed a torn CFL and ATFL in the right ankle. For surgery, I had general anesthesia and a nerve block injected pre-op behind my knee. I woke up shortly after and was then moved to recovery where my husband was able to join me. After eating a few snacks, I was wheeled out to the car and sent home. Everything seemed fine for the first 2 days. Apparently the nerve block worked very well. But then, it wore off and I was in pain. Extra pain meds helped. Got the splint cut off 3 days later and put into a fiberglass cast (#1). The lady was in a hurry and didn't do a good job of casting. There were pressure points and it was too tight. 2 days later I had the cast changed and it felt much better (#2). But then I had to go back the following week to get the stitches out. Now they were ready to put on a new cast (#3). I'm not sure what that tech was doing but he soaked a felt pad in water and used it as "extra support" on the bottom of my foot. He also placed a dry felt pad around the back of my heal but he made a crease right on top of my incision. I called the next day to tell them the cast was soaking wet. I went in immediately and they cut it off and put a new one on (#4). Well, 2 days later, my toes went numb. They had me come back in and put a new cast on again (#5). That was a Friday and I went back to work on Monday. Things were going pretty good until Friday when I realized my toes were all completely numb. They had me come in immediately and cut the cast off. I had to wait an hour to make sure the blood was flowing back into my toes. Then they put a new cast on (#6) and had me make an appointment with the doctor for the following Monday. I suspected they were going to take me back off work. I was right. The doctor had the cast removed so he could check things for himself. He said it all looked good but that I had been doing too much. I needed to be back off work and keep the cast on a week longer than originally scheduled. So I got another new cast (#7) and they pushed my next appointment back 1 week. So now, I'm 6 weeks post op and still sitting on the couch with my leg up all the time. I have cut back on pain meds quite a bit but am still taking them.
I guess the point of this post it to show you all that everyone recovers differently. I was getting really embarrassed to keep calling the doctor and getting the cast changed but they said if I hadn't called and got it changed, I could have done permanent damage. Always call the doctor if you have any questions at all.
The plan is to get this cast off on Monday and get started on Physical Therapy. At least that's what I'm hoping for.
Feel free to comment on your procedure or ask any questions you may have.

Thanks for listening.
Liz

The Following User Says Thank You to LizardK For This Useful Post:
Slillymom (05-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread