It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
(female)

tandempair HB User
alcohol injections for neuroma's

I am a recumbent cyclist, not hard core, but I do ride about 1000 miles per season. (Apr. - Nov.) I have 2 neuromas on my L foot and 1 on the right. My sports medicine podiatrist is suggesting alcohol injections to deaden the nerves. He has a 90% success rate using this method. Has anyone had the injections on both feet? Are they done at the same time? I am wondering if I will able to cycle while I am getting the injections, (of course I will ask my podiatrist.) just wondered if any other athletes or dancers have been able to continue in these activities while having the injections. Basically, I'm looking for as much input on this as I can get. Cycling in a big part of my life. Planning on doing a 6 day tour across our state in June. Average miles per day on it is about 50 miles. Will be putting on some high mileage weeks training for this as well. I need to be able to ride.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
(female)

hopestodance HB User
Re: alcohol injections for neuroma's

I can tell you about the logistics of the injections:
I had a series of six alcohol injections to treat a neuroma. The injections were done about a week apart. I would imagine both feet can be done at the same appointment. You will leave the office numb in that area for about 2 hours, then should feel about the same as you did before the appt. It should not interfere with your normal activity at all. Honestly, though, the injections themselves are extremely painful. They will give you lidocaine which helps a little, but the real discomfort is the liquid medication going into your foot has to "fill" a very small space, so the pressure is awful! The injection site was on the top of my foot between toes two and three. I always felt as if the bottom of my foot was about to explode from the pressure.

For me, I had mixed results. About seven weeks after the completion of the series, I think I felt some relief. (I'm sorry I cannot be more upbeat!) But please keep in mind that I am not sure I even had/have a neuroma. My foot issues have become complicated and I'm still searching for answers.

If you are avoiding surgery by trying this first, I say go for it and bring a hand to squeeze. Best of luck and enjoy your cycling!!

The Following User Says Thank You to hopestodance For This Useful Post:
tandempair (02-21-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2012, 04:50 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I opted to have mine removed instead of the injections. Sorry I don't have any advice.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
(female)

tandempair HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopestodance View Post
I can tell you about the logistics of the injections:
I had a series of six alcohol injections to treat a neuroma. The injections were done about a week apart. I would imagine both feet can be done at the same appointment. You will leave the office numb in that area for about 2 hours, then should feel about the same as you did before the appt. It should not interfere with your normal activity at all. Honestly, though, the injections themselves are extremely painful. They will give you lidocaine which helps a little, but the real discomfort is the liquid medication going into your foot has to "fill" a very small space, so the pressure is awful! The injection site was on the top of my foot between toes two and three. I always felt as if the bottom of my foot was about to explode from the pressure.

For me, I had mixed results. About seven weeks after the completion of the series, I think I felt some relief. (I'm sorry I cannot be more upbeat!) But please keep in mind that I am not sure I even had/have a neuroma. My foot issues have become complicated and I'm still searching for answers.

If you are avoiding surgery by trying this first, I say go for it and bring a hand to squeeze. Best of luck and enjoy your cycling!!
Thanks for the reply. I knew there was something to dread about these shots, but feel I must give it a try. My Dr., says the shots help 90% of the time. I want to be in that 90%. I keep wondering, how I will know if they are helping, and when to throw the towel in on them, if they aren't. The surgery isn't always a success either, so I feel I need to at least try the shots. Right now I cant imagine how I will be able to ride the distances, I want, this season. Last night I even dreamed that we were starting our 300 mile tour, and I had only ridden 16 miles to train for it. I was so tired, when I woke up, and my legs even hurt. Sheesh...now I am even dreaming about my foot problems. I would rather have a dream, that they are all better.
How long does the feeling of pressure in the neuroma last? I have 3 neuroma's, so that is a lot of shots. My podiatrist is also prescribing, some carbon fiber inserts for my cycling shoes, so I hope that will keep the pressure off of the neuroma's some when I ride.
Hoping you find what your issues are and get them resolved soon.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
(male)

killneuroma HB User

I would recommend to go see other doctors to get second opinion. Not only podiatrists but also orthopedic doctors. Did you take ultrasound test? You need to find out you have real neuroma or not. Also, ask questions about alcohol injections, side effects, complications, like fat pad atrophy. Some podiatrists say it does not cause fat pad atrophy but some say it does. Podiatrists who perform alcohol injections, they woudl say no complications or side effects at all, but some people have more problems after alcohol injections. I can not stand or walk barefoot at all after those alcohol injections.

The Following User Says Thank You to killneuroma For This Useful Post:
tandempair (02-21-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
(female)

tandempair HB User

The podiatrist I am seeing now is the 3rd one I've seen, the 2nd one, since I have been diagnosed with the neuroma's. I am so discouraged about this whole thing, which is something unusual for me, because I am normally an optimist. It seems like there are many poor outcomes out there regarding neurmoa's, regardless of what is done to help alleviate them. It is hard to decide which direction to go. Surgical results aren't always so good either, and stump neuromas can often be a result of that route. I just need to have my feet better and not have any permanent damage. I have a job that requires me to be on my feet about 15 hours each week, and I am an active person. I can hardly stand not cycling in the winter months. In 3 or 4 years my hubby and I plan to do a cross country ride to the state of WA. Neuromas are common to cyclist, especially recumbent cyclists. I have been dealing with numb and tingling toes for several years now. I am on my 3rd season of cycling. Seems liek each year, we increase our mileage a bit more.
I had an MRI done on one foot and the results showed a neuroma. The MRI was done as a pre surgical procedure, but then my Dad became ill, and the surgery was postponed twice.
The Dr. will do an ultrasound guided injection. Were your feet permanently damaged by the alcohol injections? I have heard that steroid injections can damage the bottom of the feet, which makes sense to me, since steroids can break down tissue and muscle. I am trying to understand how these alcohol injections that are done to the nerve can break down the fat pad of the foot. My sports medicine podiatrist is not an advocate of steroid injections. I think I need to ask him a few more questions before proceeding with the injections. Man, none of this is easy is it? I will never take my feet for granted again!

Old 02-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
(male)

killneuroma HB User

Cortizone injections could case fat pad atrophy but also I heard that alcohol injections could cause fat pad atrophy too not like cortizone, but slightly. It is good that podiatrist uses ultrasound to guide injections. Make sure solution is 4% alcohol no mixed with steroid and no more 1 CC each injection. It is all different from podiatrist but by the book, 0.5 cc is normally injected but, some podiatrists use more than 0.5, I read that more than 1.00 cc could cause problems, so be sure to ask about these. Also, there are two methods to treat neuroma, cryosurgery and radio frequency ablation. You could ask about those treatment too.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Mine was surgically removed. My mother also had one done. Both never developed a stump. My mother lived about 20 years after hers and never had an issue. I had mine done about 10 years ago and have had no problems related either. I'm a jogger and it's common in runners.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
tandempair (02-21-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
(female)

bcoats44 HB User

I had the same injections in both my feet several years ago. They told me it would take 7 injections to totally kill the nerve. I made through 5. They really hurt. It feels like being stung by a wasp or hornet for about 30 seconds. They worked for me for a few years but eventually it came back. I would suggest having them removed. They do it through the top of the foot. I'm going to have mine removed after I have some other surgeries I need worse, first. Maybe if I had done all 7 it would have lasted, but I have my doubts. They are very painful, I know. But I wish I had just had the guts to say ok, lets get these out, instead of trying to avoid the inevitable. Good Luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to bcoats44 For This Useful Post:
tandempair (02-21-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
(female)

tandempair HB User

I'll be having bunion surgery in the fall, if the neuroma is still bothering me, I'll likely have the neuroma surgery at the same time. I just want to get through this cycling season. i can deal with some pain, but I do need to be able to walk after I get off my bike.

Closed Thread