It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
(female)

rome2468 HB User
Plantar fasciitis surgery

I had the plantar fasciitis release surgery on the 9th of Feb and have had numbness on the top of my foot including my first two toes. Has anyone else had this problem? Did it go away? If it is nerve damage caused by the surgery can the doctor be held liable?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2012, 05:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User
Re: Plantar fasciitis surgery

Numbness is normal following foot surgery. Sometimes there can be nerve damage from surgery. I had temporary nerve damage following flatfoot reconstruction surgery. It was not numb, I had jolting, stabbing pain that would come and go. After taking Lyrica for several months, pain subsided and I weaned off the Lyrica and had no more issues with the nerve.

The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
rome2468 (03-01-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

I had flat foot surgery 19 months ago. I still have some reduced sensation in some of my toes and the top of the foot but I am pretty much pain free. The surgery gave me my life back. Numbness is a possible side effect of many types of surgery. If the sensation never completely comes back, I could live with it considering how much pain I was in prior to the surgery. You could call your doctor to see if the nerve symptoms are normal

The Following User Says Thank You to roxygirl1 For This Useful Post:
rome2468 (03-01-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 04:47 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

roz5 HB Userroz5 HB User

I had plantar fasciitis surgery last January and everything turned out well. However, I did also have a bunionectomy in 2005 and now my big toe is numb on top. Just one of those unfortunate "complications" that they tell you about prior to surgery.

The Following User Says Thank You to roz5 For This Useful Post:
rome2468 (03-01-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
(female)

tsuef3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rome2468 View Post
I had the plantar fasciitis release surgery on the 9th of Feb and have had numbness on the top of my foot including my first two toes. Has anyone else had this problem? Did it go away? If it is nerve damage caused by the surgery can the doctor be held liable?
I had the same surgery yesterday (3/20/12) and have the same numbness in the top of my foot and toes. Did this get better for you? Did you find any helpful information? I hope it has all cleared up for you, and give me some hope. Tina

Old 03-22-2012, 01:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

And I have numbness on the top of my 4th and 5th toes and the outside of my foot from ankle surgery which is normal b/c of the nerve they have to move during surgery. Happened in my first ankle surgery too and it went away within 6 months. I suspect what happened is they moved a nerve to preserve it and you have some numbness from it. I bet it resides. Call your doctor and ask, but it is a risk of the surgery, yes. Hope it gets better!

Old 03-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
(female)

tsuef3 HB User

I did call and was told everyone is different and it could be 3-4 days, But that is not what I have been reading on these post. So I got a liitle concerned. Thanks.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
(female)

LMW1 HB User

I had the same surgery Jan 29. I still cannot touch my heel to the ground. I walk "tip-toed," causing lower back pain and other pain in my foot. My heel is so big that it flips out of the back of my shoe, causing socks to bundle under my heel, which causes ridiculous pain.

Closed Thread