It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #31
(female)

Loretta> HB UserLoretta> HB UserLoretta> HB UserLoretta> HB User
Re: Terriifed foot surgery so scared

Not yet. It's one I need to talk to though, definitely. It's hard to imagine they could be as uncaring as Dr. Myersons Institute. I am hoping my GP has SOME idea of the best way for me to get the pain medication I will need. Find that out tomorrow.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #32
(female)

Upside HB UserUpside HB UserUpside HB User

Loretta...oh dear Loretta....I would like to know why you think that hospital is the BEST? I don't mean to be callous, but is it because you are in Maryland and it is called a foot and ankle institute? Question: Does this institute handle the Ravens athletes?? This is your foot...the foot that supports half your weight....this is important and you should get the best care including pre-op and post op pain management. If your doctor and his staff are not calling you back now before you have surgery do you think they will be there for you after your surgery? Voicemail full? No call backs? Your story is just like mine...I was scared to death after same exact story you got, got no comfort from the doctor or staff...got treated with disregard after surgery, reluctantly admitted after the pain block failed. Woke up hysterical when they tried to rush me out of the outpatient post op area... demanded to be admitted only to be put onto a ghost floor---all alone for hours in excruciating pain...And now NO callback after a week of calling every day. As a Marylander believing as you did, I write from direct experience!!! It was and remains to be a torturous source of my life. RUN don't hobble away...

The following user gives a hug of support to Upside:
Loretta> (02-23-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Upside For This Useful Post:
Loretta> (02-23-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2012, 03:42 AM   #33
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I really think you should get another doctor affiliated with a different hospital. His comments to you concerning the pain and the hospital are truly unsettling. Like many here, the surgeon who did my reconstruction surgery believes in keeping his patients in the hospital for pain control. It was not even something up for discussion. That being said, there have been some on this board who did the surgery as outpatient. With the proper medication, it can be controlled. I can not believe how horrible he has been treating you. Pain control is a big piece of foot surgery. I could not imagine my doctors telling me the hospital is not safe. Most hospitals are safe - yes sometimes patient do get hospital acquired infections, but with proper handwashing and safety controls, most are safe. I am not sure I could trust or feel comfortable with a doctor who treats me the way he is treating you. Trust is something you have to have for your doctor. Can you find out who treats professionals from the Baltimore area and try to get a second opinion with that doctor?

The following user gives a hug of support to Missyluke:
Loretta> (02-23-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
Loretta> (02-23-2012)
Old 02-23-2012, 03:43 AM   #34
(female)

Hi,
Oh my upside did you have surgery at the foot and ankle institute in Baltimore? I am so sorry it was so horrible for you and so grateful you wrote me. Oh my I just don't know what to do. I am going to see my GP today for pre-op and am going to tell him everything you told me also. Please get back to me! Any advice where to turn, please get back to me I am so scared! Thank you for writing me!
Loretta

Old 02-23-2012, 03:55 AM   #35
(female)

My husband is yelling at me like a lunitic that I have to go there. They are preferred he won't take me to NY. God I am so scared, I have tried to be a good person, I have no clue why I am being treated like this. I just want to go where they will manage the pain! My God I want to walk again and be with my little girl. I can't take this. All this yelling and screaming!!!

Old 02-23-2012, 05:10 AM   #36
(female)

Chopper Slipper HB UserChopper Slipper HB User

Make sure you tell your GP everything you have told us here. Print it out if you have to.

I sounds like you need more help than this podiatrist is willing to provide. Reach out to your other doctors, the ones that prescribed your other medications. Perhaps they can guide you through this mess.

AND... your husband might not understand how you are feeling. He might not understand all your crying. Maybe you are not explaining your fears clearly???

On another note... Aren't there some wonderful doctors in the Willmington, DE area? My sister was born with clubbed feet and my parents choose to take her there because they were leaders in their field. Keep in mind that this was 30something years ago. My point is that other doctors should be IN
NETWORK in your general area.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:36 AM   #37
(female)

Your pain will not be managed!! You will not get proper post-op care immediately after surgery. You will not get call backs....THEY don't care. I have your story exactly...same place...same fears. Went there because I thought it was the "BEST" . I have no idea how I got that Idea...How did you get that idea?? Don't get bullied into going there because you know in your heart Right now it is not right and you are right!! You have a golden opportunity to get a second opinion...GUYTON.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:24 AM   #38
(female)

Thank you for writing upside. I have told my husband to drop me off at a shelter so I wouldnt be a burden on him . I am too scared to go through with this. Waiting at my gps office now. It sounds like same place same doc even J. Thank you Loretta

Old 02-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #39
(female)

MrsHeidi HB UserMrsHeidi HB UserMrsHeidi HB UserMrsHeidi HB User

How did the appointment go?

Old 02-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #40
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHeidi View Post
How did the appointment go?
Hi Heidi,
It seemed to go well. My GP assured me our hospital would help with pain. While we were in the office waiting the surgery institute called my husbands cell. They told my husband they were going to keep me in the hospital and have a pain doctor referred to me. This is the best news I got yet. I should rest up some today!
Loretta

Old 02-23-2012, 09:03 AM   #41
(female)

MrsHeidi HB UserMrsHeidi HB UserMrsHeidi HB UserMrsHeidi HB User

That is great news! Don't be afraid to advocate for yourself. Many times no one else will.

The Following User Says Thank You to MrsHeidi For This Useful Post:
Loretta> (02-23-2012)
Old 02-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #42
(female)

I feel really bad I have been acting so scared. I am calmed down now. Thank you everyone!

The following user gives a hug of support to Loretta>:
operationdupied (02-23-2012)
Old 02-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #43
(female)

operationdupied HB User

Mercy Foot and ankle is supposed to be very good. You should ask to be admitted at least for 23 hours. I know they do that if your surgery is not on a Friday. I had a friend of broke her heel bone and they also said not to wait as the damage could be worse . Another friend of mine had surgery at Mercy after a hearth attack and they were able to fix her foot . Several other orthopedict surgeons said they could not do anything. I am sending you positive thougths and know you will make the rigth decision.

The Following User Says Thank You to operationdupied For This Useful Post:
Loretta> (02-23-2012)
Old 02-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #44
(female)

bcoats44 HB User

I researched alot on online before I had mine done. The Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Center in Westerville, Ohio is one of the best. They would put you in the hospital, give you a nerve block, and not let you leave the hospital till your pain was under control. I had one done a year ago and they are the best. Just look up Dr. Gregory Berlet at the Orthopeic Foot and Ankle Center. It would be worth the trip. Good luck!

Last edited by Administrator; 03-02-2012 at 10:53 PM.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #45
(female)

That is the same story they told me. pain doc, etc...HA...all I can say is good luck! Still waiting on call back one week and a day...in excruciatin pain with no resolve in sight.

Closed Thread