It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
(male)

pcmac HB User
Compartment Syndrome and Lisfranc Injury-- Need input

Less than a week ago I was in an accident that rolled my foot under a car crushing it in the process. I was taken to the E.R. where they performed surgery to alleviate clotting and swelling from Compartment Syndrome. They also told me I had ruptured tendons, shattered 2nd and 3rd metatarsals and 2 other breaks i cannot remember right now. During the surgery they inserted several pins and at least one screw.

Post- op my Doctor told me it was a lisfranc injury, "A life changing injury" that may require future surgeries. With NWB orders I was released from the hospital.

I return for my first follow up in 3 days.

To be honest, I'm scared. I have had numerous athletic injuries over the years and never heard the term "life changing injury" How long will it be before I can even put weight on my foot much less do weighted jump squats? I'd like to hear from anyone who's experienced this type of injury. I know mine is pretty serious? Does it get better? What can I do to speed recovery? avoid too much atrophy? The whole gamut of questions...

Please help.
Thanks

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: pcmac
Loretta> (03-03-2012), Snowrunner (03-18-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
(female)

Loretta> HB UserLoretta> HB UserLoretta> HB UserLoretta> HB User
Re: Compartment Syndrome and Lisfranc Injury-- Need input

I fell down a flight of steps and had a lisfranc injury on 2/15. I was operated on on 2/27. I am NWB for 12 weeks. We need to keep in touch!

The following user gives a hug of support to Loretta>:
pcmac (03-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
(female)

Chopper Slipper HB UserChopper Slipper HB User

I think only your doctor can answer most of your questions. I am rooting for you!

The Following User Says Thank You to Chopper Slipper For This Useful Post:
pcmac (03-04-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
(female)

When you get a chance let me know how you are doing. It sounds like we had similar surgeries at the exact same time almost.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
(male)

pcmac HB User

Yes, please. I go back for a follow up tomorrow morning. I've been scouring the internet since I got home from the hospital and none of the things I'm reading sound promising. Keep your head up and lets see what the docs say. I'll post again tomorrow.

Last edited by pcmac; 03-04-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
(female)

Ok look forward to you posting tomorrow. There are success stories, let's hope we're both in that group. I am comfortable, aare you? I hope so!

Old 03-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
(female)

Thinking of you and hope you are doing well. Still wondering how you are doing. Please let me know.
Loretta

Old 03-18-2012, 01:18 AM   #8
(male)

pcmac HB User

Awe,thank you. How are you healing up? Well, I hope. My first. Follow up was just a check to see if swelling had gone down enough to perform 2nd surgery. It hadn't. I go back Thursday and they're going to put 4 more screws in to close the space between metatarsals so my tendons will mend. I'm hoping they take the pins out as they're most uncomfortable. Ill get a hard cast for 2 months then a walking cast tor 2 more. Then my screws come out and therapy starts. Long process this healing thing. I'd attach a copy of my first dray but, this wont let me. It was bad. It would probably not sit well, but I know you'd feel better about your injury lol

What about you? What's hour recovery time looking like? I know you're not back jogging yet but, how are you getting around? It's pretty hard for me to stay in bed all day.

Well, keep your head up and at least a few books close by.

Happy St. Paddy's.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: pcmac
Loretta> (03-18-2012), Snowrunner (03-18-2012)
Old 03-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
(female)

I am very happy to hear from you, have been really worried. I will be thinking about you Thursday for your second surgery and hope the swelling will be fine for it. Yes it is a very long process. My foot has weird sensations, tingly things, the surgeon told me this was all normal. I am out of the splint/cast and back in the boot. I will be non weight bearing until mid May. I guess if things go well a month or two after that I get the hardware out. I have a PT person that comes to my house. I am doing the excercises religiously. My husband had a ramp built out our front door for me, unfortunately I didn't take to it very well yet. I couldn't go down it with the scooter or wheelchair myself yet. I could go down with the walker. Really disappointing. I might send that scooter back, it and I are not getting along too well. I am not comfortable with the balance. Dag, I have okay balance too, I ice skate do other sports etc. My little girl likes the ramp, it is fun fun fun for her :O) Maybe I'll get used to it. IDK. Please let me know how your doing, I am so glad you wrote!

Old 03-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User

It looks like you got some of those answers... but not all by any means. Keep up your spirits and do everything your doc tells you... not an ounce more. I read in one post to ask your doc for the maximum you can do so you do not over do it... Good luck!

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

The Following User Says Thank You to Snowrunner For This Useful Post:
pcmac (03-19-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #11
(female)

JacsB HB User

There is light at the end of the tunnel! I did my unstable lis franc injury on November 1, 2011 (tripped over in high heels) and had my surgery on Nov 26 for an ORIF with four screws. Many of you are just starting your process, so I wanted to let you know how it's been going for me so far.

I was non weight bearing for the first 10 weeks (my pre and post surgery time) then partial WB for another 6 weeks. Luckily I was able to work from home, and had to move back in with my parents for the duration as I couldn't take care of myself.

So to be honest the first four months were pretty consuming with surgery, getting around on crutches/in a wheelchair, physio and trying not to feel too sorry for myself. I also got three major DVTs (clots) so needed to go on blood thinners to manage them - thankfully they're gone now!

I was so excited when I was able to transition down to one crutch, then none. I stayed in my boot for about another month once I was off the crutches to give myself some extra stability. I then went and bought a pair of duty shoes (the ones that nurses wear - mine are relatively un-ugly Propet ones) which are totally flat but have a good supportive tread.

High heels are off limits for ever (my decision), and I'll see whether I can wear low ones once the screws come out. They're due for removal in another month (it should really be now but my travel schedule means we need to delay it) and I'm hoping that the dull ache I feel most mornings will start to go away once the screws are out. I still walk with a limp, and can't go major distances yet. Again, I'm hoping that when the screws come out that will help to give me some more mobility.

My surgeon said I'm healing well, and that it's just a long and protracted recovery process. I've learned to ask for help, not get too hung up on how slow I walk compared to everyone else, and accept that s#@t happened, I broke my foot, and it's just going to take a while to heal.

I feel for everyone who's going through this - I also heard 'life changing injury' which isn't something you ever want to hear, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Three months ago I was on crutches, and now I'm able to walk around completely unaided. That is progress!!!!

Last edited by JacsB; 05-15-2012 at 06:27 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
compartment syndrome, lisfranc, lisfranc injury, lisfranc physical therapy, lisfranc recovery