It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User
Ankle Surgery: General vs Local Anesthesia...

Hi all, first of all I want to say thank you for all of your previous posts! I've been reading them like crazy and they are helping me prepare!

I'm having a Brostrom Gould procedure done on March 22nd with a scope and something (checking my joint and repairing) plus possible tendon work on my lateral tendon...

My nurse mentioned that I will be able to make some choices regarding anethesia. I'm not sure what they are specifically other than a general versus a local.

So for those of you who have gone through this... what are the pros and cons of each?

Old 03-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Ankle Surgery: General vs Local Anesthesia...

Hmmm...well, I would opt for both - a general to knock you out and a nerve block to deaden it which continues for 12-24 hours after surgery. I personally would not have wanted to be awake - or any semblance thereof - when they were cutting on bone. I've had 3 foot surgeries and cutting bone - MY bone - is nothing I want to hear!

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
Snowrunner (03-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
(female)

dmbnj HB Userdmbnj HB Userdmbnj HB Userdmbnj HB Userdmbnj HB User

I think your options are general or spinal w/sedation.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
(female)

Chopper Slipper HB UserChopper Slipper HB User

I would guess they mean General vs. Twilight Anesthesia.
I have had both... general is deeper. My most recent (also a Brostom) was twilight and I came out of surgery much easier, felt more in control sooner, no nausea, and I did not feel or hear anything during the surgery.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
(female)

I would guess they mean General vs. Twilight Anesthesia.
I have had both... general is deeper. My most recent (also a Brostom) was twilight and I came out of surgery much easier, felt more in control sooner, no nausea, and I did not feel or hear anything during the surgery.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:56 AM   #6
(female)

dmbnj HB Userdmbnj HB Userdmbnj HB Userdmbnj HB Userdmbnj HB User

[QUOTE=Chopper Slipper;4938066]I would guess they mean General vs. Twilight Anesthesia.
I have had both... general is deeper. My most recent (also a Brostom) was twilight and I came out of surgery much easier, felt more in control sooner, no nausea, and I did not feel or hear anything during the surgery.[/QUOTE]

Did you have a spinal in addition?

Old 03-03-2012, 06:11 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User

Thanks! So if offered twilight I should take that? I don't think I want to be awake...

Old 03-03-2012, 06:18 AM   #8
(female)

[QUOTE=dmbnj;4938169]Did you have a spinal in addition?[/QUOTE]

I did have a Nerve Block. I honestly have no idea if it was spinal or actually in the foot area. I had assumed it was closer to my ankle...I think they would have mentioned sticking something into my spine and the obvious risks.

I totally recommend the nerve block! It really helped get through the first 24 hours (or more). It also was great for the ride home after the surgery. I live about an hour away from where I had the surgery and was quite concerned about the ride home. With this it wasn't an issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chopper Slipper For This Useful Post:
Snowrunner (03-03-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

For both of my foot surgeries I have had general anesthesia with a popliteal nerve block. I was very happy to have both. With general, I was completely put under (deep) and remember nothing. The nerve block worked wonderful. I could get home and not have any pain for about 17 hours.

The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
Snowrunner (03-03-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #10
(female)

MrsHeidi HB UserMrsHeidi HB UserMrsHeidi HB UserMrsHeidi HB User

I had general with a nerve block. This wasn't my first time under general so I knew i would be fine coming out of it. The nerve block lasted till the middle of the night following surgery.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

With my nerve block, I got it in my thigh. Had a horrid bruise for almost 2 months from it. It worked great but unfortunately it took almost 24 hours to wear off and it was not fun while it was happening. Terrible pins and needs feeling that kept me awake all night the first night. Finally got to sleep around 9 AM for about 3 hours...

Old 03-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Hi! I'm the odd ball! My doctor doesn't routinely do nerve blocks and when I talked to anesthesia right before surgery, I requested NOT to have a nerve block, but this is just my personal preference. In my line of work, I saw the negatives of it and I didn't have one with my first ankle surgery and did fine. Because of these 2 things, I opted out and only had general. I do like general vs twilight but again-personal preference and I've personally had both and I have worked with both. I've had 6 surgeries altogether and the 5 majors were all under general. However, a disclaimer I must put in is that I do extremely well with general. I wake up easily, don't get sick, no side effects, and I do well with pain control with the IV drugs they give in surgery and then the PO drugs you get in recovery and are sent home on. I realize there are a lot of people who don't tolerate general well. It's all a matter of personal preference and what your doctor will do! HTH!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood48 For This Useful Post:
MrsHeidi (03-04-2012), Snowrunner (03-04-2012)
Closed Thread