It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #16
(female)

GeeWizzz HB User
Re: OATS Procedure on right ankle Out patient

So it is officially 6 weeks post op, I feel pretty good. I seen my OS yesterday, we reviewed the x-rays together, the graft is taking really really well can hardly tell there was ever anything wrong there.Of course just above it and to the side are the 3 scary looking screws holding the rest of my ankle in place. OS says the break is healing slower than he thought it would but it is still progressing as it should be(just taking its own sweet time). Only bad news still have to do crutches for at least 2 more weeks, but he did give me permission to sleep without the boot on. I thought my ROM was progressing well, but he told me I need to be working on that more, it is not where it needs to be yet. Overall, it was a good visit, I'm just beginning to go stir crazy, I have been laid up since the middle of November and this tune is getting really old. Oh well, there is still a light at the end of the tunnel, OS said if things look good in 2 weeks I will be able to start walking. And as of now, I don't have much pain at all, only if it's bumped and if my foot gets cold, but I think I'll have that pain the rest of my life. Well, hope all is going well with you guys, jphilli8 did you have your procedure? Unil later! Wish you all a happy day!

Old 04-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #17
(male)

jphilli8 HB User

Well I hope it continues to progress well, i'll be thinking of you. Yes I did, I had it yesterday morning, and got home about mid afternoon. Yesterday was ok, I wasn't in too much pain..but today was a different story my ankle has been really hurting especially when I crutch around for a moment. I'm on percecet every six hours which helps a little so I've been in and out of sleep since I got back...but my surgeon was very excited and said everything went perfectly so that's good. Keep me updated geewiz and good luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #18
(female)

GeeWizzz HB User

jphilli I'm glad to hear your surgery went well. Yeah the second day home was worse for me to because the nerve block on the ankle had wore off, but that pain goes away pretty quickly also. My newest development is my insurance company has just sent me this huge packet of paperwork to fill out, I guess I have been off work so long that I no longer qualify for short term disability pay no I have to switch to long term. There is so much paperwork to fill out I'm probably gonna have hand issues now....I joke..! Anyway, hope you are feeling better!

The following user gives a hug of support to GeeWizzz:
jphilli8 (04-27-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #19
(male)

jphilli8 HB User

Haha, wow i can imagine there is a lot of paperwork associated with that. How often are you doing PT, and at what week did you begin? Im still so early in the recovery process i cannot imagine being able to rotate my foot at all. At what point in post op did the intense pain stop for you?

Old 04-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #20
(female)

GeeWizzz HB User

I haven't started PT, the OS did let me remove my boot and start ROM exercises at 4 weeks. And I would have to say I was hurting pretty bad for about a week. After that I still had some pain just not the intense pain. Today I think is going to be a precursor of what will happen in the future. Quite chilly and rainy today, and when I woke from my nap my feet were cold and my ankle was aching like crazy. Hope you are feeling better soon =)

Old 05-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #21
(male)

jphilli8 HB User

Hey Geewizzzzz,
How is your ankle doing, i hope your rom is progressing! im sure everything goes well and you'll get outta those crutches next week! My 2 wk post op is monday, and im pretty excited and nervous to see what my OS has to say. Do you get your staples and sutchers out at 2 weeks??..i hope so

Old 05-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #22
(female)

GeeWizzz HB User

jphilli,
Hey my ankle is great, doing ROM frequently throughout the day. I can't wait for Tuesday, I'm keeping my fingers I crutch in and walk out. Yeah, they took the sutures out on my 2 week visit, they also took my cast off and put me in a boot. I hope the best for you on Monday and that you are feeling well. Be sure and update!

Old 05-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #23
(female)

GeeWizzz HB User

8 weeks post op, everything looks good so...drum roll please...no crutches!!! Yesterday was the first day in 8 weeks that I have actually walked. Those muscles are definitely out of shape. Hurt a bit to put weight on it but it was awesome to walk. Today it hurts pretty bad to walk on it...so i'm kind of hesitant, I'll try baby steps and see how it goes the next couple days. Jphilli how was your first post op? Hope everything went well.

Last edited by GeeWizzz; 05-09-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #24
(male)

jphilli8 HB User

That is great news gee wizzzzz!! Very exciting, I can only imagine how great u feel about that! Take it slow and baby it!!! I hope u have a speedy recovery and get back to 100%.! My 2 week post op went well, cast off and staples out! I'm in a aircast cam walker for 4 more weeks, but my ankle feels great for being two weeks oout, I'm just not used to being this inactive!!! I can't wait to be at the point you are at! Keep me updated on the PT, happpppyyy healing!!

Old 05-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #25
(female)

GeeWizzz HB User

10 week post op visit, doc is pleased with my progress, I can now start weaning myself out of the boot. He told me around the house fine without it but if I go out and about wear it, then next week 100% boot free and I can try to return to work. Keeping my fingers crossed that all keeps going well. Looking at the xrays you cant even tell that there is a graft in place it is seating and healing so well, you can still see where the break actually is but that is disappearing, other than the 3 screws it almost looks like a normal ankle. I have a bit of pain down the inside of my ankle when I walk but OS feels that is still just scar tissue healing. So pretty happy right now, I'm gonna go walk around my house. Till next time!!! CYA

Old 01-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #26
(male)

ocdpt13 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberp View Post
Sorry to hear the drilling didn't work. I too knew fairly quickly mine didn't work and 8 months later had OATS done.

I was in the hospital for 3 days after my surgery and thank goodness I was, the pain was pretty bad BUT have to say I was down for outpatient as well too, which they later explained is done for insurance reasons. Don't worry, they won't let you go before you are able to.

Good luck!
Hello Kim,
Iam new here and also have ocd 8x12mm and recommended OATS but need more/input & info. about.... where you had surgery and who was your surgeon ?/...Iam looking at HSS DR. Ken ..do you have info . on his skills will greatly appreciate input, Hope you are doing well now.
ocdpt13

Old 01-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #27
(female)

GeeWizzz HB User

Hi all,
Update of my progress since my Oats procedure in March of 2012. I was off work for about 14 weeks. I seem to be doing ok, I don't have quite the range of motion in the ankle with the procedure as compared to my other. Walking on a flat surface seems to be fine but uphill or downhill causes a bit of pain. There is some pain deep inside the ankle if my weight is shifted unevenly say I lean forward too much. I do have a dull achy pain up the inside of my ankle probably about where the screws are located. The knee where they removed the tissue and bone is fine no problems at all. I can walk fine but I cannot be too active on it ie. no sports, riding my bike is a bit tough cause of the ROM needed in pedaling. Hope everyone else is doing well.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #28
(male)

ocdpt13 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeWizzz View Post
Hi all,
Update of my progress since my Oats procedure in March of 2012. I was off work for about 14 weeks. I seem to be doing ok, I don't have quite the range of motion in the ankle with the procedure as compared to my other. Walking on a flat surface seems to be fine but uphill or downhill causes a bit of pain. There is some pain deep inside the ankle if my weight is shifted unevenly say I lean forward too much. I do have a dull achy pain up the inside of my ankle probably about where the screws are located. The knee where they removed the tissue and bone is fine no problems at all. I can walk fine but I cannot be too active on it ie. no sports, riding my bike is a bit tough cause of the ROM needed in pedaling. Hope everyone else is doing well.
Thank you for update. Wish you continued improvement in your range of motion and pain /aches off and on. would you say it was worth procedure and has helped your pain and limitations atleast fairly?How long after surgery you were able to return to work? Best of luck.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #29
(female)

GeeWizzz HB User

The aches I have now are very minimal compared to the issues I was having prior to the surgery. At this point, I would say the surgery was worth it. I was off a total of 12 weeks.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeeWizzz For This Useful Post:
ocdpt13 (01-20-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #30
(male)

ocdpt13 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphilli8 View Post
That is great news gee wizzzzz!! Very exciting, I can only imagine how great u feel about that! Take it slow and baby it!!! I hope u have a speedy recovery and get back to 100%.! My 2 week post op went well, cast off and staples out! I'm in a aircast cam walker for 4 more weeks, but my ankle feels great for being two weeks oout, I'm just not used to being this inactive!!! I can't wait to be at the point you are at! Keep me updated on the PT, happpppyyy healing!!
Hello jphili8,
i saw your messages and wish/hope you are back to normal functioning. I have ocd ankle..recommmended OATS recently,,, as you are from phili i live close to it and I need some input and surgeons names in phili area...i have Rothmans close by and wondering if possible you can tell me more about your doctors info,,,,and input....I would greatly appreciate your help.
Best wishes.
Thanks

Closed Thread