It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 05:31 AM   #31
(male)

ocdpt13 HB User
Re: OATS Procedure on right ankle Out patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdpt13 View Post
Hello jphili8,
i saw your messages and wish/hope you are back to normal functioning. I have ocd ankle..recommmended OATS recently,,, as you are from phili i live close to it and I need some input and surgeons names in phili area...i have Rothmans close by and wondering if possible you can tell me more about your doctors info,,,,and input....I would greatly appreciate your help.
Best wishes.
Thanks
hi jjphili8,
hope recovered well from OATS ..please let us know we awaiting reply...
thanks best wishes
ocdpt13

Old 01-22-2013, 05:38 AM   #32
(male)

ocdpt13 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdpt13 View Post
Hello jphili8,
i saw your messages and wish/hope you are back to normal functioning. I have ocd ankle..recommmended OATS recently,,, as you are from phili i live close to it and I need some input and surgeons names in phili area...i have Rothmans close by and wondering if possible you can tell me more about your doctors info,,,,and input....I would greatly appreciate your help.
Best wishes.
Thanks
hi jjphili8,
hope recovered well from OATS ..please let us know we awaiting reply...
thanks best wishes
ocdpt13

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #33
(male)

ocdpt13 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeWizzz View Post
The aches I have now are very minimal compared to the issues I was having prior to the surgery. At this point, I would say the surgery was worth it. I was off a total of 12 weeks.
Hi,
Thanks for your reply yesterday and it is very helpful and comforting.
I was wondering any news about jphili8...haven't heard from him..hope is doing well...do have any contacts with him I need his input about his OS as he lives near me...and Iam looking at his OS dr. Raikin but wanted to hear his testimonial...please let me know

ocdpt13

Old 01-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #34
(male)

jphilli8 HB User

Heyyyy!! sorry to hear about your OCD, mine was large on my medial talar dome of the right ankle. After many visits to many OS office visits I found Dr. Raikin at the Rothman at Jefferson. He is the absolute best!!!!! He performed right knee to ankle oats on 4/24/2012 and it couldnt have gone any better! I am at the nine month mark now, and I am almost 100% if not better- I run, bike, play basketball, hike, do yoga religously.

If have not seen Dr. Raikin I would definetly do that before you make any more decisions, he really is awesome. Also, there are a lot of horror stories about ankle ocd & OATS on here...dont take any of it to heart, I was a nervous wreck before hand because I basically set myself up to think I could never be the same again after this procedure- thats complete BS...you can and you will if you TAKE CARE OF YOUR BODY- from everything you eat to how you relax and relieve stress- most importantly rest & exercise!!!

The recovery period is long but make it enjoyable- once your physical therapy starts put everything into it like your training for the NFL draft. Also in case you are wondering- the surgery was outpatient, I arrived at about 730am and was out of Jefferson by 1:00am. There is a lot of pain but honestly with the pain killers and nerve block they give you- it is very managable! I hope this helps, if you have any other questions feel free to ask anything!

Old 01-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #35
(male)

ocdpt13 HB User

Hi jphilli8,
First thanks for your reply and it reassuring to hear from a person who has been in the shoes.Also what helps is Dr. Raikin is covered by my HMO (they suck)insurance and its close to my home.Your testimonial is helpful, do you know any other longterm results about OATS by him, their longevity etc.are vwe allowed to give contacts on this forum or not as I would want talk to personally if possible...did you need spinal anesthesia and peroneal block or both...alos just curious where you first surgery or this is first you had.pls. reply and thanks a bunch.
ocdpt13

Old 01-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #36
(male)

ocdpt13 HB User
Thumbs up Re: OATS Procedure on right ankle Out patient

Hi jphilli8,
First thanks for your reply and it reassuring to hear from a person who has been in the shoes.Also what helps is Dr. Raikin is covered by my HMO (they suck)insurance and its close to my home.Your testimonial is helpful, do you know any other longterm results about OATS by him, their longevity etc.are vwe allowed to give contacts on this forum or not as I would want talk to personally if possible...did you need spinal anesthesia and peroneal block or both...alos just curious where you first surgery or this is first you had.pls. reply and thanks a bunch.
ocdpt13

Old 01-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #37
(male)

ocdpt13 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphilli8 View Post
Heyyyy!! sorry to hear about your OCD, mine was large on my medial talar dome of the right ankle. After many visits to many OS office visits I found Dr. Raikin at the Rothman at Jefferson. He is the absolute best!!!!! He performed right knee to ankle oats on 4/24/2012 and it couldnt have gone any better! I am at the nine month mark now, and I am almost 100% if not better- I run, bike, play basketball, hike, do yoga religously.

If have not seen Dr. Raikin I would definetly do that before you make any more decisions, he really is awesome. Also, there are a lot of horror stories about ankle ocd & OATS on here...dont take any of it to heart, I was a nervous wreck before hand because I basically set myself up to think I could never be the same again after this procedure- thats complete BS...you can and you will if you TAKE CARE OF YOUR BODY- from everything you eat to how you relax and relieve stress- most importantly rest & exercise!!!

The recovery period is long but make it enjoyable- once your physical therapy starts put everything into it like your training for the NFL draft. Also in case you are wondering- the surgery was outpatient, I arrived at about 730am and was out of Jefferson by 1:00am. There is a lot of pain but honestly with the pain killers and nerve block they give you- it is very managable! I hope this helps, if you have any other questions feel free to ask anything!
Hi jphili8,
thanks. I have a few questions I would appreciate if you could help , Do you now any other people with longterm results with OATS by him, their longevity,did dr. Raikin had to cut the bone or not etc. ...did you need spinal anesthesia also with peroneal block or both...Also just curious was this you first surgery ,was your surgery done at JEFFERSON..pls. reply and thanks IN ADVANCE.
ocdpt13

Old 01-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #38
(male)

jphilli8 HB User

No I do not know any other patients with longterm results by him, I talked to a couple people on here who had similar procedures- and they seemed just as pleased as me. Yes, my oats procedure required a osteotemy of my medial mallaneous- depending on the location of you specific OCD I cannot tell you if you will or not, but mostly everyone will required some type of bone shaving or osteotemy.

I had general anesthesia, and a ‘Continuous Sciatic Block’. Essentially what happens is that a fine tube (‘catheter’) is placed above the knee next to the nerve going to the ankle being operated on. This enables the administration of a local anaesthetic (‘numbing’) liquid directly on to this nerve, so that when you wake up your foot and ankle will be numb. All going well, you will have minimal or no pain in the operated foot. The catheter is secured with a dressing with the aim of keeping it there for 2-5 days. During this time you will have a small disposable pump called a ‘Pain Buster Pump’ connected to the catheter.

The pump delivers a little numbing liquid continuously, and for some patients, this continuous amount alone will be enough to keep you comfortable. If you are sore you will be able to give a small booster of local anaeshetic by the push of a button on the pump. Because the pump is portable, you will have it with you when you leave hospital and will be able to get around on your crutches.

This was my first surgery and it was done at the JEFFERSON Surgical center at the NAVY YARD in Philadelphia- its a really awesome outpatient facility- its a new building with state of the art EVERTHINGGGG, its a really cool place when your NOT getting surgery. My advice would be to ask as many questions as you can- make a huge list even- the more you know the better you can make a decision about the whole process. Sorry it takes me a while to respond on here-i dont check too often. Take care

Last edited by moderator2; 01-26-2013 at 11:12 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to jphilli8 For This Useful Post:
ocdpt13 (04-23-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #39
(male)

ocdpt13 HB User

Thank you jphili8 for the detailed reply and it helped alot clarifying cocerns...the anaethesia pump seems to be a great thing to be pain free...after surgery...
ocdpt13

Old 01-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #40
(male)

ocdpt13 HB User

Thank you jphili8 for the detailed reply and it helped alot clarifying cocerns...the anaethesia pump seems to be a great thing to be pain free...how does the osteotomy site feels now and residual pain on walking and did you get any screws put in also..
thanks again
ocdpt13

Old 01-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #41
(male)

jphilli8 HB User

I am very active on my ankle-playing basketball, riding bikes, yoga, snowboarding, hiking and swimming and I rarley have any serious pain- but when I do it is always at the osteotomy site where the three screws were placed & its usually because I was running on it too long (running can have adverse effects on ALL ankles, because of the repetetive high impacts).

But, remember I am still less then ten months post op- dr. raikin says it usually takes his patients about one year to get to 100%. And yes I have three screws inserted into my medial mallaneous- two going up and one going across. I have no residual pain in my knee- its actually stronger and more flexible now because of the physical therapy.

The Following User Says Thank You to jphilli8 For This Useful Post:
ocdpt13 (01-26-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #42
(male)

ocdpt13 HB User

Hi jphili8,
Thanks again . I am really impressed with your OS and wish you all the best .
thanks
ocdpt13

Closed Thread