HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   OATS Procedure on right ankle Out patient (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/893104-oats-procedure-right-ankle-out-patient.html)

GeeWizzz 03-13-2012 10:24 PM

OATS Procedure on right ankle Out patient

In November of 2011, I had my 10 x6 x 6mm OCD drilled and repaired, I have not had any relief. So tomorrow we are going to attempt OATS on my ankle. My OS says it is an outpatient surgery, but I am reading that some have had at least an overnight stay. Which is more common outpatient or a hospital stay?

MrsHeidi 03-13-2012 10:40 PM

Re: OATS Procedure on right ankle Out patient

Welcome to the boards. I am sorry you haven't gotten any relief from the microfracture tue drilling. When it was offered to me as a solution to my OCD they advised outpatient. I went with drilling in Jan 12. I was under the impression tht it could take up to a year to know it it worked. Outside of the pain, was there any other determining facts that lead you to know it was time for OATS? What was your recovery plan after the drilling? Have you already scheduled your surgery date?

GeeWizzz 03-13-2012 10:55 PM

I had an MRI done the first week of February, it revealed the healing wasnt going as planned, and there was significant marrow swelling. I had no pain relief whatsoever and just everyday activity was incredibly painful as little as 2 hours on it and it would swell to the point I could not walk on it.

kimberp 03-15-2012 07:25 PM

Sorry to hear the drilling didn't work. I too knew fairly quickly mine didn't work and 8 months later had OATS done.

I was in the hospital for 3 days after my surgery and thank goodness I was, the pain was pretty bad BUT have to say I was down for outpatient as well too, which they later explained is done for insurance reasons. Don't worry, they won't let you go before you are able to.

Good luck!

MrsHeidi 03-15-2012 08:08 PM

Sorry to hear that Geewizz. I hope your surgery went well today. Looking forward to hearing how your doing and how things went. Did you have to stay overnight? I hope this procedure gives you some release.

GeeWizzz 04-06-2012 03:00 PM

I am now 3 weeks and a few days post op. I did not have to stay overnight but I really wish they had kept as the pain was pretty severe. At my 2 week post op visit they removed my cast and the sutures from my ankle and they placed me in a boot but no weight bearing whatsoever. I am suppose to remove the boot and do range of motion exercises 3 times a day. As of today I don't have much pain unless I try to stretch to far when doing exercises or my foot is bumped or pushed. My knee still feels pretty stiff where they removed the graft, but otherwise is feeling fine. I do have a 3 " scar on my knee and an 8" scar on my ankle which are larger than I expected. I am currently concerned because I am suddenly getting swelling in my ankle and my foot, there is no swelling in the other leg. Has been this way for couple days, will call OS if it continues.

kimberp 04-06-2012 03:17 PM

Glad to hear things are going well. Swelling in your ankle and foot is normal which is why they say to keep it elevated - you are only 3 weeks out. You will have swelling for up until about a year. At this point though, the more you have it down the bigger it's going to get.

The stiffness in your knee is also normal and will go away once you start to move your knee more.

Keep up the great work! :)

GeeWizzz 04-10-2012 01:18 PM

So it's 4 weeks post op tomorrow, and 2 weeks before next os visit. Woke up this morning and it is throbbing, I have no idea why. Haven't bumped it, used it, all I do is baby it. But still feels like a throbbing toothache but in my ankle/foot. Am icing it but that seems to make it worse. Any suggestions?

kimberp 04-10-2012 02:03 PM

Are you keeping it elevated? Unfortunately this is normal too, you are only 4 weeks out. You will have not only swelling for quite awhile but random pain for awhile too...just think of everything your poor ankle was just put through and you are probably taking fewer pain meds so you are going to feel more.

Take it easy and continue to ice and elevate and do what your OS says. You are still very early in recovery and patience is key..I know it's hard, but you can do this :)

jphilli8 04-10-2012 05:37 PM

Hi GeeWizzz,
Just wondering how yo are doing, I too am having right ankle OATS in two weeks today..and I am pretty freaked out about the whole thing to say the least. Any advice you have for me would be greatly appreciated!!!! Hope your getting better each day!

GeeWizzz 04-12-2012 02:09 AM

Hey jphilli8,
I am doing well, thanks. I believe the best advice I can give you is do exactly what your os tells you too. When I came home, I had a nice little 'nest' set up for myself, everything that I would need I had within arms reach, I didn't do much moving during the first week at all. I laid around with my foot elevated and ice on my knee. Once I began moving about I started to have issues with my foot and ankle swelling, but not much pain with it, to resolve that I would elevate it and ice it. A few days ago I woke up and it was throbbing like crazy so I just took that day made sure it was up all day and didn't move around much, seemed to do the trick. Another suggestion is definitely read through this forum I actually learned a lot here, that my os hadn't mentioned to me.
Good luck to you and keep us updated on how you are doing.

jphilli8 04-12-2012 05:36 AM

Thanks, so much for the reply, it is very much appreciated! My procedure is outpatient as well, so ill be sure to have a little nest ready as well. How long does the procedure take?..my OS told me a couple hours. Thanks again, hope ur well:)

GeeWizzz 04-12-2012 08:55 AM

My procedure was scheduled for 90 minutes but it took about 2 hours. In recovery I didn't have much pain in my ankle because of the nerve block but my knee hurt like crazy, but ice helped. I am know officially 4 weeks out and feel like I am progressing well, when I remove the boot to do RoM I definitely don't have 100% but it is getting there. Take Care and keep in touch.

jphilli8 04-12-2012 02:00 PM

Yea my OS warned me my knee may hurt quite a bit after the surgery...well I hope u keep progressing and I will definitely keep in touch! I hope you do the same, the updates are great! Thanks again, talk to you soon and take care.

jphilli8 04-12-2012 03:12 PM

Yea my OS warned me my knee may hurt quite a bit after the surgery...well I hope u keep progressing and I will definitely keep in touch! I hope you do the same, the updates are great! Thanks again, talk to you soon and take care.