It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
(female)

gr8hike HB User
Hallux rigidus - injection v cheilectomy?

Hello All -

Thanks for sharing your experiences here - very helpful.

Has anyone had success (ie., pain relief, healing, etc.) with a steriod injection into the great toe which has hallux rigidus, djd, and bone spurs - that then made surgery unnecessary? One doc says it (shot) is a temporary measure and another says it works for many of his patients.

Have had toe pain for 10 yrs (right toe, ~6 yrs left toe). Saw podiatrists, tried orthotics, therapy, etc. Recent x-rays show bone spurs. Differing medical/surgeon opinions: try a shot and do lots of therapy (maybe breaking up the bone spurs) vs. cheilectomy to remove the bone spurs/clean up joint.

I am an active 51 yo and it's gotten too painful to walk much - I need to do something. Would appreciate candid feedback re: usefulness of injection (and how painful is that going to be?!)....

I've read so many scary stories here - I hope there are good experiences as well on this issue! Thanks!

Old 03-17-2012, 05:11 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Hallux rigidus - injection v cheilectomy?

Well, the steroid injection doesn't hurt so much as the numbing injection before it...if he does one. If he doesnt do the numbing one, then, yes , the steroid shot is going to hurt - a lot.

As for other options, I've had cheilectomies on both big toes. First one, I was 56 and the latest one I was 65. So your age shouldn't have anything to do with it. There are other options, depending on the severity of the injury. Resurfacing or fusion. If any doc suggests joint replacement, get up immediately and run, not walk, out as fast as you can. They do not have a good track record.

Find the best sports med ortho who is foot and ankle board certified. Call your nearest pro football or basketball team, major college athletic department, or professional dance company and find otu who they use. Go to that person.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User
Re: Hallux rigidus - injection v cheilectomy?

I had a steroid injection in that joint and it helped a lot. It was so nice to have a pain-free foot! Sadly, it didn't last long for me. I've since had that joint fused, and have reclaimed my life. My joint was severely damaged, bone on bone, no cartilage. Good luck with your decision.

Closed Thread

Tags
cheilectomy, hallux rigidus, steroid injections