It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User
Re: Comminuted calcaneal fracture intra-articular? What Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDiver View Post
Hey james,

We did end up hearing back from the clinic at st. Pauls... unfortunately they do not deal with urgent care. Currently waiting for surgery at RCH shoulder be any day now. Im supposed to get ready everynight for surgery and call in at 9am everyday...

Thanks again for the info!
They will look after you well at the Royal.
Google Lairig Ghru anyway! Did it first in 1950. Two years later took my girlfriend and I thought if she finishes it I will marry her, I did and that must be 60 years ago.
James
PS should have said DR Younger went medical school nearby.

Last edited by james079; 03-20-2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Added PS

Old 03-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #17
(male)

BCDiver HB User

Hey James,

That seems like an awesome experience... I wish i had that type of endurance, I always wanted to do something signifigant like that... I would be happy if i could put my brand new set of scuba gear to use, that happened to arrive the day afer my fall...
I have high hopes for Royal, seen dr. Moola today really like his clinic and staff, a coleague of his will be doing the surgery though..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2012, 01:52 AM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Yay! So glad you got answers and a surger slot! On the road to recovery! Use the boards! We're all here to help!

Old 03-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #19
(male)

BCDiver HB User

Booked for surgery Friday 9am, I hate to admit it but I am getting nervous...

Old 03-22-2012, 12:59 AM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Yay! So glad you got surgery booked! It's ok to be nervous! We all are to an extent! I'd worry about you if you weren't! Let us all know how it went and how you are dong as soon as you are able!!

Old 03-22-2012, 02:04 AM   #21
(female)

BestFootForward HB User

Good luck for tomorrow, when you get a chance, look at the sticky 'tactics for coping.....' it's full of really good hints and tips for the next (non-weight bearing) stage of your treatment. I wish I had seen it sooner....

Last edited by BestFootForward; 03-22-2012 at 08:36 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to BestFootForward For This Useful Post:
BCDiver (03-22-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #22
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Be nervous, but also be excited you proceeding and getting on with this.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #23
(male)

BCDiver HB User

hi everyone, I am just back from hospital now. so excuse me if i don't make sense, still groggy.

Surgery was on Saturday, took over 4 hrs. Dr was happy with what she had to work with the majority was a long straight fracture all towards the front of the calcaneus. she thinks i will be nwb for only 6 weeks due to the placement of fracture. Then progressively go from there.

lots of unanswered questions still. was given blood thinners in hospital but non to take home.

they were giving me oxy every 4 hrs in hospital and sleeping pills at night. only have about 15 percocet left for pain management. guess ill just take a few day and taper off over next 6ish days.

ankle hurts lots, wearing an air sling on foot. havnt taken a worthwhile #2 in days... hoping to start feeling like my heads back in the game by next week.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glad you are home and that surgery went well. Glad it sounds like its better than what was thought at first and your NWB time won't be as long. I'm concerned about only 15 pain pills left after this! Can you ask your doctor for more if you need them? For constipation, take Colace or Miralax. Both OTC. Colace is a softener and is a gelcap. Miralax is a odorless, tasteless powder you stir into any drink and is a stimulant/laxative. HTH!

Old 03-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #25
(male)

super roofer HB User

Good to see operation went well ask your doctor for blood thinners this is to reduce the risks of clots as you are not as active.My doc has given me 75mg aspirin tablets two to be taken every day since my op and i am still taken 50mg tramadol tablets 2 three times a day for pain relief 3 months after op.I think 15 tablets will not last long you will have to take hollywoods advice on the laxatives in scotland they give you laxido to soften i take 1 sachet every day it works wonders :-) take care and keep your spirits up long road ahead

Old 03-29-2012, 06:21 AM   #26
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by super roofer View Post
i am still taken 50mg tramadol tablets 2 three times a day for pain relief 3 months after op.d
It is hard to quantify pain, every one is different and every injury. Seems like alot to me. But I dunno. I started taking tramadol 18 months after the accident, and it did give me life back, lots more activity.

I take 1 a day, some times a 2nd, few times a week, based on activity. I think taking motrin in the morning, reduces the amount of tramadol I take.

I waited to take pain meds to see what I could do without them. Then when I got to the point I realized this is my life I started taking them. Though I might have been overly stuborn. You need to find the line for you.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #27
(male)

BCDiver HB User

Well I'm now 3 weeks post op and things appear to be good for the most part!

I went to see the surgeon last week and had stitches taken out, anybody have any input on how long the scab period was for them? It's still got a pretty good scab and even some very small tender looking spots...

I stopped taking all pain meds last week, things are more sore, awkward and uncomfortable, but I'm not having horrible pain and feel fine without meds.

I have a gym in my garage so I get out and do upper body workouts a few days a week I keep them quick and light but really enjoy attempting some activity. Dr. also told me to take air cast off lots and do range of motion stuff,so Happy to take my foot out and move it..

Seeing the Dr. again in the middle of May depending on how the bone is healing she hopes to see me going into PT and getting weight bearing slowly...

Lifes a lot slower than normal now and that takes some getting used too. Everyday gets a little better than the day before.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #28
(male)

super roofer HB User

I had my stitches removed approx 10 days after op and put back into casts for six weeks then fitted with air boots once i was in air boots it was about 4 weeks until my wounds healed up my district nurse came to my house to show me how to treat my feet i steeped my feet in basin of hot water with dermol 600 added to water this helps remove the scaly skin and hydrate your skin it has antiseptic properties in it to help destroy bacteria on your skin after after about 15 mins dab your feet softly with swabs or soft cloth to remove dead skin then put on diprobase cream this helps inflamed or damaged skin and it is used to protect raw skin my wounds have healed up and my feet are looking great my feet look younger than my face now as they are nice and soft :-) I meet with surgeon on Thursday hopefully he will tell me when i can start physio hope this helps

Old 04-18-2012, 05:18 AM   #29
(female)

BestFootForward HB User

Hi - I am a few weeks ahead of you - but my wound took a lot longer to heal than we had hoped - over 2 months - but it has healed fully now, as Mr Roofer said, lots of nice cream to remove the horrible yellow scaley skin, massage that foot - bond with it (says my physio - this is because I hate the look of it at the moment) then on to PWB/physio - I am about to post about this experience!

I am glad to see you are exercising, I must admit I haven't been, thinking that heaving myself around on crutches will sort out my arm, standing on one leg will sort out that leg, and the other one will have all the exercise soon. That just leaves the tum, still my daughter has pointed me to a You-Tube video for that one - just need the energy now.

Closed Thread