It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #16
(male)

Lurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB User
Re: Screw removal, bone shaving, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood48 View Post
LURCHY--Yay for a shower! You aren't kidding! It is nice to be able to shower all of you and not part of you! I bet with your size that was difficult! I can get all the way in our stand up shower, but I have a cast cover on and I can't wait to be able to bathe that leg and foot tomorrow night after my cast comes off tomorrow (hopefully). Let's just say that that leg and foot aren't looking, ahem, feminine at the moment! Can't wait to bathe, exfoliate, shave, and lotion it up! LOL! It IS strange how the pain works. Mine is worse at night too even if I've only been on the couch all day! So strange! Hang in there!
My foot was really nasty after I got my cast off. There was a significant amount of dried blood where the incisions were that didn't come off for days. The nurse told me not to scrub it and to let it fall off on its own. It looked much worse than when the stitches were taken out.

Good luck tomorrow. Enjoy that bath!

Old 04-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #17
(male)

Lurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB User

When I went in to get my stitches out, the MA was a bit confused about my instructions going forward. The operative report said that I could weight bear as tolerated in the CAM walker. She said I should plan to transition away from the crutches this week. I have been putting more weight on my foot each day and was able to walk using only one crutch today. This afternoon, I had a horrible sharp pain in my achilles. It calmed down but is still there. I remember being told during my last appointment that the stitches in my achilles had probably already dissolved. Is it possible that I could have reinjured achilles by putting too much weight on it too soon? I can't put any weight on it now without getting that pain. The achilles was split longitudinally and debrided.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2012, 01:01 AM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

I'm sorry you are having achilles pain. I wonder if the pain is just from the normal stretch you put on the achilles when you walk? I don't *think* you could've torn it from regular weight bearing in the CAM, but I guess anything is possible. I am just now allowed to weight bear as tolerated in my CAM and I can't put much weight on it right now, but the weight I have put on it, I really feel it in my peroneal tendon which also had a longitudinal split in it that was repaired. If the pain doesn't go away soon, I'd probably call the doctor and ask!

Old 04-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #19
(male)

Quote:
I'm sorry you are having achilles pain. I wonder if the pain is just from the normal stretch you put on the achilles when you walk? I don't *think* you could've torn it from regular weight bearing in the CAM, but I guess anything is possible. I am just now allowed to weight bear as tolerated in my CAM and I can't put much weight on it right now, but the weight I have put on it, I really feel it in my peroneal tendon which also had a longitudinal split in it that was repaired. If the pain doesn't go away soon, I'd probably call the doctor and ask!
Thanks Hollywood. The achilles pain is gone for the most part unless I put weight on my foot. I'll give it the weekend to see if it improves. The heel is really sore today though. Not sure if it's related. I have an interview in 2 weeks and need to be 100% off the crutches. Bad enough that I'll be in the boot.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Yeah I understand that and hope you will be off them by then! Didn't your doc say you could go without the boot just for the interview?

Old 04-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #21
(male)

Quote:
Yeah I understand that and hope you will be off them by then! Didn't your doc say you could go without the boot just for the interview?
The MA said she would check with the doc and see what he says. I'm going to call them on Monday. She also said that I should be able to sleep without my boot on after three weeks but I'm a bit concerned considering that I still need the crutches to walk. I continued to have the pain in achilles today whenever I put weight on my foot. I'm thinking that I'm just healing a bit slower than most.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

At 3 wks out, I couldn't sleep without the boot either so I opted for another cast. Now at 6 wks out after having just gotten the boot, I still sleep with my lace up brace with figure 8 straps on!! Don't blame you there!!

Old 04-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #23
(male)

I was surprised when I didn't get to see the doc when I got the stitches out (he was in surgery that day). I still don't know exactly why he did everything. The procedures that took place were within the scope of what we discussed but were more along the lines of a worst case scenario. The MA wasn't very confident with her answers or what my instructions were going forward. Definitely doesn't leave me with peace of mind.

I'm going to keep the boot on until Monday and will slowly add more weight to my bad leg. I'll check in with the office on Monday.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #24
(male)

Anyone know if it is recommended to continue sleeping with my foot elevated? I'm just over three weeks out from surgery.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #25
Senior Veteran
(female)

Depends on if your doc gave specific parameters and if not, how you're doing swelling wise. If you re still really swollen I would and if not, if you are more comfortable with it down, sleep with it down. I was sleep with mine down by week 2 or 3 and I've done fine. I still have swelling but not from the night. It's from the day.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood48 For This Useful Post:
Lurchy24 (04-09-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #26
(male)

Okay, this is scary. As noted earlier, I saw the MA to get my stitches out 2 weeks post op. She told me I could transition to FWB between 2nd and 3rd week, sleep with boot off at night, and that it wouldn't be a problem to fly for my interview next week (5 weeks post op). I just spoke with the surgical nurse to confirm if I could sleep with my boot off. She checked with the doc and:

a) I am only allowed to pwb since the bone is still healing.
b) I can not sleep with my boot off and need to keep my leg elevated.
c) I am not allowed to fly or have my leg down for extended periods of time.

No wonder I'm having so much pain and my leg is swelling so much. Now I need to find an alternate way to get some place 12 hours distant by car in order to interview.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #27
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wow that is a drastic difference? Why is the MA (I'm assuming you mean medical assistant) giving your orders? What does the MA have for qualifications? A nurse, NP, PA? I would only get my orders from the RN, NP, PA or MD from now own since they are SO different. I'm sorry about your flying for interviewing. I thought they said before surgery you'd be allowed to fly? Of course, that could've come from the MA too? You probably will feel much better to not fly that soon after surgery b/c flying can cause swelling anyway, but especially with a recent surgery.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #28
(male)

It was the first time in my many visits that I've not seen the doc. I was shocked. I've never seen an MA but assumed it was the same as a PA. Is that right?

Old 04-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #29
Senior Veteran
(female)

Not sure where you are located, but it isn't the same thing in the US. An MA is a medical assistant who has a certification (I think) to do this. Not sure of their scope of practice, but it usually isn't even as high as an RN. A PA (physician's assistant) or NP (nurse practitioner) have master's level degrees and certification for advanced practice. It may be that the person you are seeing is a PA or NP and you are someone is calling them an MA? Is that possible?

Old 04-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #30
(male)

Hmm...interesting. I'm in the US. I'll have a talk with my doc when I see him next. Thank goodness I called in today.

Closed Thread