It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
? About Fibular Groove Deepening and Bone Pain

On 2/22/12, I had a Brostrom-Gould procedure with repair of a shredded peroneus longus tendon and fibular groove deepening b/c both peroneal tendons kept popping out. Before the surgery when my OS was explaining all the procedures I needed, he mentioned that the groove deepening would be worse for me. I didn't question it at the time b/c I know when you drill the bone it will be painful. Right before wheeling me into surgery, my OS goes over the procedures one last time with my husband and me as he put his initials on the correct ankle. He goes into detail about the groove deepening saying he has to break the bone to do it. That was the first time I'd heard that. So on my post-op visit, I asked him if he really had to break it or if I was imagining it and he said he did break it and explained that it is like hollowing out something. He drilled on 2 sides and depressed the center in to break it and deepen the groove. After surgery I of course took the pain meds every 4 hours like it said. I was wondering when the bone pain was going to kick in. Well let's just say it has really kicked in 3 wks later.

I've had to take a Percocet during the day and at night yesterday and today when I had just been taking 1 Percocet at night. It hurts! I know there are people on here who've gone through this, is this pain normal and how much more should I expect when I start weight bearing and doing PT in 3 wks? Thanks so much!!

The following user gives a hug of support to Hollywood48:
MrsHeidi (03-19-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
(female)

MrsHeidi HB UserMrsHeidi HB UserMrsHeidi HB UserMrsHeidi HB User
Re: ? About Fibular Groove Deepening and Bone Pain

That sounds painful Hollywood. I hope you get the answers you seek.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

HEIDI--Thanks!!

Anyone else? Anyone who has had the fibular groove deepening?

Old 03-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User

Hi Hollywood,
I had peroneal tendon surgery several years ago, both ankles, different times and had the groove deepening. I vaguely remember the bone pain a few weeks in, it did fade in time, but was kind of a surprise when it happened as i had been feeling pretty good. Sounds like everything else is going well so stay focused on the end result. I am recovering from SLAP tear (shoulder surgery) and the rehab is a bear.
Good Luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to maggietaz For This Useful Post:
Hollywood48 (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 12:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAGGIE--thank you SO much for putting my mind at ease! So your bone came later too? How bad was it, when did it go away, and how bad will it hurt when I start walking on it? How long did it take you to transition from NWB to FWB? Did you have to take more pain meds when the bone pain started? I had gotten down to 1 Percocet at night for end of day pain and to get,comfortable to sleep and now I'm having to take one in the daytime too. Normal? Sorry to hear about your shoulder! What happened? Sorry so full of questions! Thank you so much!

Old 03-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User

Hollywood,
I don't really remember the bone pain lasting that long, but I only had the peroneal surgery done, so I was only NWB for two weeks and then PWB as tolerated to FWB- I used the crutches for quite awhile, when I went out etc. It will hurt at first, but you will get used to it and then it gets better. But after about four weeks I could walk in the boot with no problem. I started PT at six weeks and did it for several months. Also at six weeks went into a lace up brace that I was in for another six weeks.

I tore the labrum in my shoulder (called a SLAP tear), it is like the cartliage in your knee except the healing time and recovery time is much slower. Had surgery on the 24th of January. Started PT on the 24th of Febuary. I am pretty much out of the sling altogether now, but the rehab is a bear. I still can't lift my arm over my head or up to my shoulder. I go to PT three times a week and to exercises at home twice a day. Went back to work this week, but am lucky as I can work from home this week. I know this will get better but for now it still stinks as it is still hard to sleep and I hate taking pain meds and have to take them before therapy and to sleep. Going to try Lunesta tonight. Great to chat, good luck with your recovery.

The following user gives a hug of support to maggietaz:
Hollywood48 (03-21-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to maggietaz For This Useful Post:
Hollywood48 (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAGGIE--Thank you so much! Big help! Good luck with your shoulder! Hope it gets better soon!!!!

Old 04-01-2012, 01:19 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Going to the doctor on Monday 4/2 where hopefully I'm getting my cast off and moving into the boot and hopefully start weight bearing and PT. Getting nervous because the bone pain and the tendon pain have made this surgery much more painful than my first ligament only surgery. For those of you who have had the fibular groove deepening and peroneal tendon repair, how long did you have bone pain, how painful was it to bear weight, how long did it take you to completely transition to FWB, and how long after starting to weight bear did you continue to need pain meds whether during the day, at night or both? Just trying to get a little heads up before all this starts on Monday! Thanks!!

Old 04-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #9
(female)

Firelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB User

Hey Hollywood, I am following this thread as I am awaiting a surgeons appointment for the exact same thing. I'd also like to know what the prognosis is? Are you expected to be back to normal afterwards? At this time I am not able to kneel or squat due to pain, am looking forward to being able to do that afterwards.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

FIRELADY--Supposedly, yes, I'm to be able to do whatever I want when I'm back to normal. I will say there has been more pain with this surgery because of the groove deepening (as opposed to my first surgery which was just a Brostrom repair) and my surgeon said it would hurt more. I thought there were more people on here that had had this done, but maybe not. I go to the doctor tomorrow so I guess I will start to figure it out! How did you hurt your ankle? What's your story?

Old 04-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #11
(female)

Firelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB User

I fell 15 ft when the ladder I was using to paint slipped and fell. Shattered my calcaneus in the fall. No surgery as it was deemed to severely comminuted. That healed well suprisingly however during physio was having persistant pain in my lateral ankle and across the outside edge of my foot. Saw my OS for a year following the fracture however he repeatedly shrugged off my pain concerns. Finally asked my family Doc for a second opinion and she sent me to a sport medicine clinic. Had the diagnosis of subluxation of both peroneal tendons within 3 weeks Had a choice of 2 surgeons to fix it...........one of them being the one I had been seeing lol. So, I of course chose the other. See him in June and looking forward to an end to this. It will be almost 2 years since the injury when I see this guy and probably a few more months to wait till I have the surgery. I have surprising little trouble with my heel, but can barely walk some days due to the tendon pain. I have found very few people who have had this repair and am curious as to what is involved, recovery and most importantly prognosis!! I want my life back!!!

Old 08-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #12
(female)

footiefan25 HB User

Hi,

I'm sorry about your awful ordeal with your ankle and doctors!
I am wondering how you are doing now since I saw that your surgery was a while ago now. I had a bad ankle sprain 5 months ago which hasn't got any better. I had arthroscopy to clean out the scar tissue and some tissue getting impinged between the bones, but my ankle feels the exact same as before the arthroscopy which makes me there's something else going on.

My peroneal tendons sublux so have been told that this may be an option, to have the groove deepend (assuming they're not torn), the doctor hasn't been very helpful to be honest.

But I was wondering what your recovery was like, how you found the surgery and what the amount of time you think I would be out of sports?

Thank you

Old 08-31-2012, 01:06 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

FOOTIEFAN--Are you asking me or someone else who has posted on here? Didn't want to go into a long answer if the question wasn't meant for me! LOL!

Old 12-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #14
(female)

CSchilling surg HB User

HOLLYWOOD,
How have you done in recovery? I may soon have that surgery and am curious about what to expect. If you don't mind, what was your initial injury? I hope you are well!
Thanks

Closed Thread