Your chiro is not able to know if the manipulation had any affect on the cyst without an MRI. He just created a joint pop from a manipulation such as is commonly performed in the spine.
Adult acquired flafooot is a progressive condition that will only worsen over time. If conservative treatment such as orthotic use, physical therapy and bracing does not improve your function than surgery likely will be the next step. The other option is to live with the pain and attempt symptom management with bulky braces such as an Arizona AFO. If you choose to prolong having the surgery, your condition may progress to an advanced stage that requires more invasive procedures such as ankle fusions.
I am 5 months post-op and glad I had the surgery and plan to have the calcaneal osteotomy screw out in 5-6 weeks. It has been a tough road to recovery having to take 4 months off work and trying to help with my now 11 month old twin boys when I was more limited, but we made it to this point. I am back to work and walking very well, with a current focus on improving my mild lack of strength and balance issues.
I would have to agree with everyone else about that. My OS told me that once a tendon was torn it is like a torn rope that will continue to Frey and get worse. He told me that I could wait, but I was still young and had a very good chance for success if I didn't wait too long.
I know this surgery is overwhelming at first. Take your time and make the best decision for you. Also read the many posts by debincali and the many others on here. It will give you great encouragement to know you are in good company. Just make sure that you have a good OS that you feel comfortable with, that makes a big difference!
Yes the screw site at my heel is a nuisance. I am doing well overall at the foot but as has been previously stated, it feels like a light hammer is hitting me at the location of the screw head. I have read from other post, once the screw is out this pain will go away and make walking even more comfortable. I have a substantial amount of time on my feet with my job and want to get this screw out and just allow the healing to further progress.
I have one more doc who i will see april 10. I will see how the orthotic goes. I wil know one way or the other within 6 wks. More waiting. More unknown. Thank u everybody whose taken the time to read and or respond. I am so grateful that these message boards exist. It keeps me sane to know im not alone and that others can relate to this odd condition.
The Following User Says Thank You to severity777 For This Useful Post: Minnh (11-19-2012)
I'm sorry to hear that you have to have a similar surgery to he rest of us. Just try to prepare yourself for the long haul, this surgery takes allot out of you. I am 5 weeks post op now, and I still get tired easily. Stairs still look like mountains too, you have to be creative in order to have a plan to climb them.
You will be fine, just try to plan ahead for everything. Also listen to your Dr for post op activity. Keeping your leg propped will help you in the long run.
Surgery March 6, 2012: Calcanal Osteotomy, PTT repair, FDL tendon transfer on left foot.
The Following User Says Thank You to planemark For This Useful Post: severity777 (04-13-2012)
That does sound a bit lofty to me as well. I had Stage 4 PTTD before being diagnosed. My first Dr did not want to operate right away. First tried hyper flexion in rigid cast for 6 weeks. This did nothing. Then fitted for Arizona brace which took 8 more weeks to get. In short the brace did not work.
I went Dr hunting. Took me a year to find one the knew what this was and how to fix it. I'm almost 6 weeks post op now NO weight bearing in cast. Still have 3 weeks to go then partial weight bearing and therapy.
I don't think your case will be this extreme but you should be prepared.
Do get a 2nd and 3rd opinion.
So i had a tendon transfer, rebuilt spring ligament structure and gastroc recession two and a half wks ago. I awoke from surgery to learn they had not done any of the bonework previously planned. Im so nrevous that they did not do enough. I go today to have stitches out and hard cast put on. Then four more wks nwb. He said after that, straight into shoe. Such mixed emotions. Relieved that recovery is shorter( this is a very challenging recovery with an 18 month old). But so unsure if it'll work for the rest of my life. Im only 34. Anybody out there have a situation similar to mine?
He said my foot was still pretty flexible and he was able to manipulate it into the desired position without bonework. Ive never heard of this. I got my stitches out (ouch) tho a lil while ago (and staples), had my hard cast put on (pink) for four weeks and he says I'll be in a boot for a couple weeks after that to transition to a shoe. No physical therapy.
Last edited by severity777; 05-21-2012 at 12:42 PM.
wow, I never heard of most of this before-- does your OS have lot of experience with this type of surgery? Just wondering -- I'm supposed to have a sub tular fusion in 2 weeks along with everything you've had and my foot is also very flexible. It does sound like that's good for you.