It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: Brostrom-Gould modified... What should I expect?

Hi! I am doing fine with the boot, it's trying to transition out of it that's hard. And I just gave up my last crutch this week so all my weight on my foot takes its toll by the end of the day! As far as the boot, I do NOT sleep with it on! Ooh ick yuck! I didn't want that nasty thing in my bed after walking on it all day everywhere. It would be like sleeping with my tennis shoes on or something. I had a cast and I was SO glad. I had to have a hard cast for 3 weeks and then at that point, I could've gone into a boot. I chose to get another cast (first one blue, 2nd one purple and pink!) because I still wasn't going to be allowed to weight bear until 6 wks and I had fallen once and even though it hurt, the cast completely protected my foot and didn't damage it. Plus, I had gotten down showering to a fine art. The cast was smaller, lighter, not bulky and no sweating, and then no germs in my bed. The doctor said that ultimately, that's what they like to do-a cast for 6 wks, but so many people complained about not being able to shower and shave, etc so they started doing boot at 3 wks, but they still prefer cast and says it heals better. He said I was the only one that has ever asked to stay in the cast and I was SO happy with my decision! Worked just as I thought it would. Then I moved into the boot at 6 wks and I'm 8 weeks out now and had the boot for 2 wks and can start moving into the brace as I am able. The staples do sound painful. They are probably causing some issues. I will say they aren't as painful to take out as sutures though so that's something good going for you! Sutures are hard to get out after 3 wks in and they hurt! Most patients report staples being less painful than sutures to take out (or that's what my patients would tell me) and on the healthcare end of things, they are definitely easier to take out than sutures. I'd rather take staples out any day over sutures! I'm sorry about the pain! Those pain patterns sound familiar even down to the spasming. That hurts! My foot would do that too and pain meds or not, the pain would skyrocket! My foot still does that sometimes and it does exacerbate the pain still! Hang in there!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread