It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
(male)

Marksc39 HB User
Foot surgery 4/2/12

Hello,
I'm having 5 procedures tomorrow including calcaneal osteotomy,endoscopic gastrocnemius recession,cotton osteotomy,open plantar fascial release,and open reduction with internal fixaton of the 5th toe fracture. I have been to several doctors to correct my foot over the years and have decided now finally the time for the surgery after several foot fractures over the years. Any advise as to how long recovery is for any of these procedures?

Old 04-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Foot surgery 4/2/12

Good luck with your surgery and recovery. Sorry I have no answers for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to slenderella For This Useful Post:
Marksc39 (04-01-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User

Good luck tomorrow! Did your doctor say what you can expect from recovery? I don't know the recovery from those procedures... I had a lateral ligament reconstruction, perineal tendon tear repair, and ankle joint debridement about a week and a half ago. I have 6 weeks NWB (2 in a splint, 4 in a cast), then a boot and I'm not sure how long from there.

I've been told it's 6 months at the earliest to be running again... But possibly a year.

Good luck and let us know how it went.

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

Old 04-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
(female)

Amethy5t HB UserAmethy5t HB UserAmethy5t HB UserAmethy5t HB User

Hi there - all the best for your surgery! Recovery does vary between people, but it's probably best to prepare yourself for a long recovery. I had a calacaneal osteotomy and drilling for OCD. I was really lucky that my surgeon is quite progressive and I was able to PWB in a surgical shoe from the start. You are looking at at least six weeks for the bones to heal, and your surgeon may want you NWB till then. I am hoping to be off crutches at the 2-month mark, but I have been warned that even then I will have to take things slowly. It's probably going to be 6 months before your are near to normal, maybe longer. But as I said everyone is different and you should check with your doctor!

The Following User Says Thank You to Amethy5t For This Useful Post:
Marksc39 (04-01-2012)
Old 04-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
(female)

wants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB User

I had repair of a tear in the posterior tibial tendon and calcaneal osteotomy. I was in casts from the time I woke up in recovery and proceeded to have 4 casts over the next 11 weeks. I then had the screws removed and moved to a boot for approximately 4 weeks and slowly began partial weight bearing. I was about 5 months before I could walk normally.
Did you get information at your pre-op about your surgeons plans and timelines?

The Following User Says Thank You to wants to walk For This Useful Post:
Marksc39 (04-01-2012)
Old 04-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
(male)

Lurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB User

Wow, that is a lot of surgery! Sending best wishes your way as this will be a heck of a journey.

I was NWB for over 6 weeks then put into a boot with crutches. I transitioned to FWB over the next few weeks. At 4 months, I was able to travel and walk for a good hour or two without tremendous pain but I would get some swelling. At 6 months, the bottom of my heel was still extremely sensitive and a full days work would result in a fair amount of swelling.

Everyone heals at a different pace but the majority of what I've read indicates 6 months to start getting back to normal and a full year to completely recover. I would plan on at least 4 very challenging weeks to start out and then see how your body is responding.

Good luck with your surgery.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
(male)

Marksc39 HB User

I'm hoping to get back to work within a week or two at the latest but from reading the posts I think it might be a bit longer..

Old 04-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
(male)

Marksc39 HB User

I saw my regular Dr for my pre-op but will find out all the rest tomorrow.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #9
(male)

Lurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksc39 View Post
I'm hoping to get back to work within a week or two at the latest but from reading the posts I think it might be a bit longer..
Everyone is different but there is no way I could have done that. I was on round the clock pain killers for the first week and slowly cut back after that. One of the biggest problems is that all the blood rushes to your foot when it is not elevated and it is miserable (really miserable). If you do try to go back after a couple of weeks, make sure you have something to prop your leg up on. It was at least 3 weeks for me to be able to stand for any amount of time. If you can take more time off, I certainly suggest it.

Just in case it's not already arranged, make sure you get a nerve block before the surgery. Insist if you have to. I don't even want to think about what it would be like without one.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lurchy24 For This Useful Post:
Marksc39 (04-01-2012)
Old 04-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Actually I elected NOT to have a nerve block which didn't matter b/c my doctor doesn't routinely have them done for his patients. I didn't have one after my first surgery either. I did fine with pain meds every 4 hours ATC for the first 3-4 days and then backed off from there. My reasons against it were that I have seen what nerve damage can happen when they go wrong (I'm an RN) and I didn't have that surge of pain when they wear off that so many people report. But that is just MY opinion and MY reasons and you need to do what you and your doctor feel is best! Just wanted to let you know from my perspective since I'm one of the few who hasn't gotten one!

Old 04-02-2012, 04:02 AM   #11
(female)

Loretta> HB UserLoretta> HB UserLoretta> HB UserLoretta> HB User

I had open reduction and internat fixation Feb 27, and will be NWB till mid May, then about a month or so after that will have the hardware removed. I go back to the surgeon on April 11, so I guess if he is going to deviate from the schedule at all he might say something. From what I can figure out, his style is not to push up the schedule if things look good. I will be thinking of you today and sending good vibes and thoughts your way.
Loretta

Old 04-02-2012, 04:25 AM   #12
(female)

Karatemom40 HB UserKaratemom40 HB User

I hope your surgery goes well! Please keep us posted on your progress as soon as you are able!

Old 04-02-2012, 04:29 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

Good luck on your surgery. I had ptt repair, calcaneal osteotomy, achielles tendon lengthening, kidner procedure and fdl tendon transfer 19 months ago. I was in a surgical splint for 10 days and NWB for 8 weeks. I did not return to work until 4 months post op. The recovery is long with many ups and downs. For the first week or two you will need to keep your foot really elevated to help reduce swelling. At first, when your foot it down it will hurt and swell. It takes time for the bones to set and heal. I could not return earlier then 4 months due to the nature of my job. It requires me to be on my feet all day and to be able to move quickly. Even with that when I returned I ended up with a stress fracture of my tibia!

Old 04-02-2012, 06:05 AM   #14
(female)

MrsHeidi HB UserMrsHeidi HB UserMrsHeidi HB UserMrsHeidi HB User

Best wishes on our surgery today.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:55 AM   #15
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood48 View Post
Actually I elected NOT to have a nerve block which didn't matter b/c my doctor doesn't routinely have them done for his patients. I didn't have one after my first surgery either. I did fine with pain meds every 4 hours ATC for the first 3-4 days and then backed off from there. My reasons against it were that I have seen what nerve damage can happen when they go wrong (I'm an RN) and I didn't have that surge of pain when they wear off that so many people report. But that is just MY opinion and MY reasons and you need to do what you and your doctor feel is best! Just wanted to let you know from my perspective since I'm one of the few who hasn't gotten one!
I read all that about the nerve block...very scary with the risks. I've had it done twice and been fine but again, there definitely are risks!

It was the calcaneal osteotomy that was so painful for me. I didn't even feel pain from my brostrom or recession, all I could feel was the burning hot misery in my heel. Either way, I hope you are being kept in the hospital to make sure you can control the meds with pills only. My osteotomy was outpatient and my nerve block lasted 30 hours. I was on both Oxy and Norco when it wore off yet I ended up back in the ER for 8 hours and then the hospital for 5 days because we couldn't control the pain. I was more of a worst case scenario but I recommend that you err on the side of caution.

Closed Thread