It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
(male)

AirForce Josh HB User
Calcaneal Osteotomy/ PTT repair-- day 28

Will this pain ever go away? My heel throbs! I am only taking lortabs as needed and it does not do much to help... I had my cast bivalved today b/c the swelling got so intense at night it would just throb and throb... This sucks! I am 28 yo male and I aquired flat foot after an accident injury. The doc made it sound like this was a simple procedure and he scheduled me for the next day... I didn't even research it but I wish I did now b/c this pain sucks and it seems like it will take years to resolve...

Does a typical patient recover to the point that they can run distances of 1-2 miles at the speed they did prior to injury and surgery? I am wondering if I will be medically seperated from the military due to not getting back to full physical shape in regards to runnings and long periods on my feet... Any info would be greatly appreciated

Old 04-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
(male)

Lurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB User
Re: Calcaneal Osteotomy/ PTT repair-- day 28

Wow, that's a quick turnaround for surgery. I have to admit though, mine was rather last minute as well. If I had known what it entailed, I probably would have avoided it.

To answer your question, some people do return to full speed running. Everyone heals different. On average, it will take a year to get back to normal. Some can return to running after 6 months but it is pretty rare.

It took me until my 37th day after surgery to go without any pain killers. It was off and on after that.

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Lurchy24 For This Useful Post:
AirForce Josh (04-06-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I am so sorry you are still dealing with the pain and swelling. Are you keeping your foot elevated most of the time and icing? You are still relatively early in the healing process. I had flat foot reconstruction surgery 19 months ago and for me it took nearly a full year before my foot felt at its best. Unfortunately I reinjured my foot and had another surgery. I have read that some have been able to go back to running. How soon they returned I honestly cannot remember. Thing is, if you did not have the surgery, your foot would continue to deteriorate. I know at this point it is frustrating and you do feel like it will never end. It will get better. This surgery, unfortunately, has a long and slow recovery time. Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
AirForce Josh (04-06-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
(male)

AirForce Josh HB User

Thanks guys! It means a lot to know that I am not the only one to go through this process! I am keeping it elevated. The pain has decreased since bivalving my cast yesterday. I think my high level of pain at night was due to the swelling inside the cast. Thanks again

Old 04-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
(male)

posttibtend HB User

Hello Josh,
I'm on Day 10 of my recovery. I'm using a lot of pain meds to keep the pain away. They work but come with unfortunate side effects like hives, tiredness, fuzzy brain, etc. I'm sorry to hear that your doc did not tell you about the recovery process being a year long. I understand from others that it can take a really long time until you can walk (slowly) without pain-i think 6 months is a bench mark I have heard about for walking. For me I had a similar surgery, but a bit more involved. I've been told by my Doc that I will be in a cast for about 3 months non weight bearing and depending on how I do, for the next 6 weeks, I will most likely be partial weight bearing (PWB) with or or without a boot. It is at that point (3 months) when PWB begins that physical therapy also begins and I understand that you shouldn't skip the PT or you compromise ever getting your foot physically well again. My Doc said the PT is for one year! Most people say the swelling doesn't completely go away until 9 months or one year, but everyone is different. For myself, a stage 2A PTTD diagnosis (38 yo, male), I don't plan to try running again but I do have hopes of being able to stand for several hours at a time or walk for 7-10 miles. If I can walk 10 miles then I will feel extremely lucky. Anyway, these are just some things I've heard and it is all speculation anyway. Each body heals differently. You may have a better chance at physical recovery since you are so young. I hope for you that is the case. By the way, the elevation issue is pretty important. I'm elevating 95% of the day in these first 2-3 weeks (at night I strap my leg into a pile of pillows and make sure that I don't turn or move my leg so I wake up still elevated). So far the swelling is very minimal. You are about 5 weeks out now I so the 95% elevation may not need to be so important now, but I've heard that you should still be elevating about 50-60% of the time at 5-6 weeks. Your doc should really be setting these guidelines with you if he/she is a responsible doctor. I've heard of people being off of work for 4 months. Anyway, good luck with everything and keep us posted on your progress.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

I was nwb for 8 weeks, followed 3 weeks pwb and then an additional several weeks in the boot. 28 days is very early in the recovery process. I am 20 months op and doing very well. Don't rush things and keep your foot elevated and iced.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

Roxy, did you by chance use the Don Joy icing system or how did you ice your foot and ankle after surgery? I have seen these on ebay at a good price and was wondering if I would need one. Just getting all of my ducks in a row...thanks to everyone here I am trying to cover all of the anticipated problems.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

Icing was difficult because the splint was so thick that I couldn't feel the cold. I was good about elevating which really kept swelling down. I did use the ice machine in the past and loved it. If you are getting a used machine, order new pads for sanitary reasons

The Following User Says Thank You to roxygirl1 For This Useful Post:
tenderfoot (08-13-2012)
Closed Thread

Tags
calcaneal osteomy; post op; recovery;knee scooter