It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #16
(female)

guinivere HB User
Re: Heelie weight bearing

I am 8 months out. I agree that it does sometiimes get so aggrivating simply because we want to be back where we use to be. As for me, I was a marathoner and now simple walking is slow and painful. I had all of my hardware removed after only 5 months and it made a real difference. Almost immediately I could spread my toes, which had been an impossibility beforehand. My doc tells me to keep working the foot because if I cease to for any period, I will be forced to have the fusion, which according to her is not a good thing. That the ability to have any real activity afterwards would be extremely limited. My words to you is to keep on keeping on. Get the hardware removed if you can. My doc said the earlier the hardware is removed, the better the healing from its removal.

The Following User Says Thank You to guinivere For This Useful Post:
paremo (07-15-2012)
Old 07-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #17
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

walking on the beach is a poor choice, especially at 6 months. A trail that isn't to hilly, would be better. I haven't been on a beach, but I suspect it wouldn't be all that great.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #18
(male)

paremo HB User

The pain is around and above the scar tissue,its probally the plate.I still have to see what the cat scan shows.I also get pain on the inside of the heel and also along the back of it.My Dr didnt seem so concerned and has a wait and see attiude.The 2nd opinion Dr thinks I need to have the hardware removed and ordered the cat scan.As for walking on the beach,its the only option when you have two small kids in july in the middle of a heat wave in new york.Ill just have to put up with the pain and it is nice to float around in the water after.Also to sit in a beach chair and play in the sand with your bare feet has very therapeutic feel to it.

Last edited by paremo; 07-14-2012 at 07:08 AM.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #19
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paremo View Post
.As for walking on the beach,its the only option when you have two small kids in july in the middle of a heat wave in new york.Ill just have to put up with the pain and it is nice to float around in the water after.Also to sit in a beach chair and play in the sand with your bare feet has very therapeutic feel to it.
Ya, but don't be surprised when you have pain. At 6 months, I was happy to be walking on even surfaces. You need to realize this is a significant injury.

I work on gravel for work, for that I wear 8" lace up boots. I don't walk barefoot outside of the house. I wear these 8" boots with shorts when not at work too. I don't like to have pain.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #20
(male)

paremo HB User

Coming up on 8 mts since surgery,my heel has had some improvement over the summer.I am walking on it alot more now and it lets me know if I push it too much.That said ,my 2nd opinion dr. wants to try and do a ultra sound injection into the heel.Has anyone had this done? It should ease up some of the pain from the artrihtis,he still may have to remove the hardware at a latter date.Still doing p.t,I have met older men and women there who have had hip and knee surgery done and their making faster recovery than I am.Still you have to stay positive,I try to hit the gym and keep busy around the house as much as possible.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #21
Senior Veteran
(male)

When I was going to PT they did ultrasound. I think it worked. It is hard to say when it comes to pain. They also tried ionto something, where they put voltage in.

I would try, either one, they just rub a sensor on you for ultra, the other is a pad.

8 months is still a rough time, started getting better around 10 months, and got better for the first 12-16 months.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:29 AM   #22
(male)

paremo HB User

Had my cortisizone ultra sound guided injection into my heel yesterday.Foot a litlle warm an swollen today have to elevate and ice for a day or two.Should start to to feel the benefit in a week to ten days.Then its back to P.T and hopefully I can push it a bit more with the exercise's.I had asked my P.T about the electro pad treatmeant that you mentioned Zerk,but they dont use it on people who have had hardware installed.My next visit to the doctor is in a few weeks he stll may go ahead and remove the screws and plates.That area where the plate is located still stings and feels numb at times,and along the inside and outside of my foot still has'nt returned to normal sensations,I know its because of nerve damage and it will never be the same as it was before.But with that said it is improving ever so slowly.

Closed Thread