It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
(female)

writergirl11 HB User
post calcaneal osteotomy

Hey. I'm new here and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice?

I am 12 weeks post a calcaneal osteotomy and FDL transfer with a gastroc recession. I'm 39 and healthy except have been severely flat footed my entire life.
I did well after surgery and was in very little pain. I think I've done well over all. I went back to work after 6 weeks in a boot. The boot came off after four weeks and back in regular shoes. I've had very little swelling. No numbness or nerve issues.
The only problem I have is that I still have some minor pain along the site where the tendon was transferred. It is the same pain that I had before the tendon was replaced and so I'm afraid that the surgery didn't work and I'm restraining the tendon. I have stood flat footed and my ankle does not roll like before but neither do I have some great new arch.
I work 5 days a week 8-10 hour days and on my feet the entire time. Then I go home to three children and so I am unable to put my feet up much so I feel like I've been lucky to have gotten away with no swelling. I have no heel pain either.

Is this normal? Has anyone else had some minor pain along the tendon transfer site.

I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Old 04-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: post calcaneal osteotomy

I had a calcaneal/cotton osteotomy, ptt repaired, tendon transfered and gastroc recession 20 months ago. I was NWB for 8 weeks, followed by 3 weeks pwb. I finally removed the boot at about 16 weeks. When the boot was removed, I wore an aso brace in my sneaker for several weeks. I work as a school based slp. My job allows me to sit. I work with autistic and pre school disabled children so I have to be able to get up quickly and be fairly mobile. My surgeon kept me out from work for 4 months. If I had a desk job, he would have kept me out for about three months. My surgeon does the slow protocol because he said that it takes a long time for the tendon to heal. He also told me to avoid high impact activities because a repaired tendon will never be as strong as a virgin tendon. I am doing great now. I work all day and then do errands without even thinking about my foot.

You went back to work at a job that requires you to be on your feet much faster than I did. I definitely had lots of twinges and pains at 12 weeks. I wonder if you are straining the ptt. Could you call your surgeon and discuss your concerns.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
(female)

writergirl11 HB User

Thanks for responding. I really appreciate the advice. I see the surgeon next week. I'm afraid it may be straining a little. I wear my orthotics everywhere and don't take a step without them. I've been doing PT and it was doing good until the last few days when they ratcheted up the pt. Does the tendon have to strengthen? I guess I was under the impression that they were transferring in a good strong tendon and it wouldn't hurt like the damaged one but the pain is identical. It's not severe. I never had severe pain to begin with. The surgery was done preventative to keep arthritis from developing.
Did you have twinges that were similar to your pre surgical pain? Thanks again for your insight.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

I did for the first six or seven months but don't have the anymore

Closed Thread