It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: PTTD Surgery

Does your ortho do many flat foot surgeries? It is a complex surgery and using a doctor that has a lot of experience with the proceedure increases your chances of a good outcome. I went to four different doctors before deciding to use my surgeon. At first, I was told that his first surgical opening was 9 weeks later but fortunately, he had a last minute cancellation which I grabbed.

The Following User Says Thank You to roxygirl1 For This Useful Post:
cinder (04-18-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #17
(female)

cinder HB Usercinder HB Usercinder HB Usercinder HB User

Hi Roxygirl1, I assume that he has done alot of these, but my next appt with him is not until June 27th to discuss the timing of when I should do it for the next school year and when I might be able to return. That is a good question. I still have a little over 2 months to go to even discuss this with him again. Of course, if I can't stand it, I can always call the scheduling nurse. I do have a podiatrist appt on Monday. This doctor is so nice and tries to wrap it for me and ordered me the aircast for PTTD, but I find the bubble underneath the cast makes me off balance and I almost fell backwards several times and after walking around the building all day and out in the playground for over an hour and bus port my foot is killing me with that bubble underneath. At first it felt great, but after 6 hours on constant pounding on the floors at work, it really hurts. At least when he wraps it, it gives me relief for a few days. He does not do that type of surgery, however.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

Many doctors do not do that type of surgery because it is complicated and takes a high skill level to do it correctly. Prior to surgery, I had an aso brace which helped somewhat. Could you use crutches pwb to take some if the stress off of your foot?

Old 04-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #19
(male)

planemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB User

I'm sorry to put my two cents in, but I hate to hear how much pain you are in. Sounds like your podiatrist either gave you the wrong boot or they never showed you how to walk in it. I was in a Cam Walker Boot for six weeks and allot of my pain was relieved while I was in it. I had stage 3 PTTD with a torn tendon at that point. If it's the same boot, you are supposed to rock your foot in it not walk on it like a regular boot. I dont think you will be able to run in it or walk Too fast in it I'm sure you can google tips for walking on it w/ video or your podiatrist can give you pointers when you see him. Hopefully it will make a huge difference. :-)
Another thought is trying to purchase a knee scooter. You can wrap your foot and wear the boot while you are on the scooter. Mine is made by Drive Mobility and I got a good deal on it on Craigslist. It is way much easier than crutches and I heard of a few teachers who used them while working. Im Just trying to think of a couple things that might Help you untill you can get your surgery scheduled. I know it's painful and overwhelming, but there is hope. We are just a few steps farther than you, but we are all on a very similar path to complete recovery. Hang in there!

Surgery March 6, 2012: Calcanal Osteotomy, PTT repair, FDL tendon transfer on left foot.

The Following User Says Thank You to planemark For This Useful Post:
cinder (04-21-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #20
(female)

It is not a boot that I am wearing to work. It is a soft brace called a PTTD aircast. You have a pump to pump it up to as much as you want to feel comfortable. I have one for each foot, it feels so good at first but after working on it all day long it begins to hurt and it makes so off balance sometimes. I have to see the same podiatrist on MOnday and I will talk with him about it. He doesn't do this surgery and I would go to a a highly recommended ortho guy, but he has been trying to help me and make me as comfortable as possible until I decide on this surgery. I think trying to make this decision with work and returning to work and possibly retiring are complicating things.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #21
(female)

fermac HB User

I think I have the same aircast brace u do at least it sounds like it. What I ended up doing with mine was wearing the arch supports with it. It made my shoe fit a little tighter but didn't have to pump it up so much. Of course I cant wear mine any more cause of how it goes across the top of foot and ankle., it make my ankle hurt even worse than without it.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #22
(female)

Thank you. It sounds like the same thing. I will try using the inserts too and see how that goes. I just think with being on me feet all the time it exhausts my foot and puts stress on the ankle and the brace begins to hurt, but I will try it. Thank you so much.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #23
(male)

posttibtend HB User

Hi,
I read a few of your recent posts today. I tried the Air Cast "off the shelf/over the counter" PTTD brace about a year ago. I found that it caused me more problems after I used it than I had before I tried it. Sometimes you only need to blow it up a little. But still, it didn't work out for me.
A custom made ankle foot orthotic (AFO) like the Arizona AFO may reduce your pain 25%-75% for the short term, but these AFO's are expensive (about $1500). Perhaps you can ask your podiatrist or an orthotist about an AFO and also see if your insurance would cover any of it.

On another note, I remember that you were trying to finish the school year out before having the surgery (that is, if you decide to have the surgery), but you also mentioned that you weren't going to see the Dr. until June 27th. Some of these doctors are booked out for two months in advance for surgery and I just thought you might want to keep that in mind in case you wished to try and deal with the surgery this summer. After my doctor agreed to do the surgery, she then ordered an MRI to confirm her diagnosis and surgical preparation. So, there was an MRI after that, then a consultation, and finally, a date set for surgery. This process ended up taking a while. Perhaps June 27th is the earliest appointment you could get or perhaps you don't mind if your surgery is scheduled during the school year, but I thought I would mention this just in case you were thinking of having this taken care of this summer.
Be well,
Posttib

Old 04-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #24
(female)

Thank you so much. You are right, I am finding that the aircast does cause more pain after wearing it for long periods of time. I have already seen my ortho who is highly recommended several times and had MRIs and a second opinion. All agree on the surgery. The ortho that I would have do the surgery told me when I saw him last to just call and schedule when I am ready or when I can't stand the pain any more so I always have that option. I scheduled an appointment on June 27th back in January since I know he is so booked out, because if I didn't do the surgery I wanted to talk to him about doing it when I return in the new school year and possibly the timing of it if I want to just go ahead and retire from there. Not sure if I can but I am afraid with the amount of time I spend at school on my feet and walking on uneven ground and out in the snow and ice on the playground and bus port it might be difficult to go back in 4 months so I wanted to get his advice again that is if I can continue to tolerate the pain and in recent weeks it is getting more difficult. I am so agonizing over this for many reasons, work, recovery, and I just can't make the decision to go ahead and do this, but all of you have been so wonderful and your advice is so priceless to me.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #25
(female)

Hi has anyone had this happen. In the last week the inside of my ankle has turned black and blue and very painful to walk now. I am wondering if my condition has gotten worse or that I am on it too much and need to rest it. I have a call in to the ortho surgeon and I am seriously beginning to think about having the surgery now. Just wondering if anyone out there had this happen to them before their surgery. Thank you.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #26
(male)

posttibtend HB User

Hi

I'm not sure where a black and blue mark would come from but the pain is a possible sign that your foot is not well (possibly from the overpronation and overuse of a failing tendon). Visiting your orthopedic surgeon would probably be best. When I hear about your constant pain, I still think taking advantage of the summer to recover from surgery is a great option. On the other hand, you don't want to rush this decision if you are still feeling hesitant. Perhaps your doc can shed some light on your new problem and whether it is time to have surgery.
Be well.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-09-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #27
(female)

Thank you. I do have a call in to the ortho and I think that is exactly what I am looking for. For him to shed some light as to my best option. If I do it and recover in the summer I am so afraid of returning in October or November and having to be outside in the cold, ice, snow, and bad weather for months. If I can get through to October, I might bypass the horrible weather we get here. But if this pain continues, I might not have to much to think of. Thanks again. I appreciate it.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #28
(male)

planemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB User

I'm sorry to hear that your inner ackle has turned black and blue. It really does sound like you at on it too much and it is probably getting worse. My OS told me that a torn tendon is similar to a torn or frayed rope. It will gradually get worse, and if it goes too far it will be harder to repair. That was what convinced me to have PTTD surgery.
I know that you are trying to time things so they work out with your school schedule and/or retirement. Just don't sacrifice your health for it. Unfortunately problems in life rarely line up with our schedules.
I hope you have a good OS who can give you good advice from experience, and put your mind at ease. I hope you get an appointment ASAP too. Another thing to be concerned about is blood clots, so ask lots of questions. Good luck!

Surgery March 6, 2012: Calcanal Osteotomy, PTT repair, FDL tendon transfer on left foot.

Closed Thread