It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
(female)

cinder HB Usercinder HB Usercinder HB Usercinder HB User
PTTD Surgery

Hi I am agonizing trying to decide to have this surgery. I have gotten two doctor's opinions and they both agree that my left foot is going to need the surgery. I work at school as a teacher's assistant and I am constantly on my feet all day. I am trying to make it through the rest of this school year and I am finding it more and more difficult. I was hoping to perhaps make it to christmas and have the surgery after the New Year and use the rest of the school year to recover. I was looking for some advice as to how long it may take to recover and if anyone who has waited as long as I have found that it actually got worst. Thank you so much. I am very confused as to when I should be having this done and working within the school year.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
(male)

RollTide09 HB User
Re: PTTD Surgery

Hi, I put off having PTTD surgery for 2 years. I am now 6 weeks post op and my only regret is that I waited so long. The longer you wait the more damage you are doing to your foot. The more damage, the more invasive the surgery and the longer the recoup time. Dont wait too long as this only makes things worse. Once your surgery is done and you heal completely you will look back on your delay and kick yourself. I am doing that now. Good luck to you!

The Following User Says Thank You to RollTide09 For This Useful Post:
cinder (04-15-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
(female)

Thank you so much for your advice. I appreciate it. As you can see from the date I first joined this board, I have been on and off with this problem for 5 years and it is progressively getting worst. I worry about being out of work for a long time, though, but I do have the time to take that is not the problem. Work is getting more and more difficult. I just need the "boost" to do it. Thanks again and you certainly are an inspiration.

The Following User Says Thank You to cinder For This Useful Post:
RollTide09 (04-15-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

I am 20 months post op and doing great now. I waited 10 months and just had increasing pain. I am a school based slp and was out for 4 months. I scheduled the surgery for the start of the summer so part of my recovery was over the summer when I don't have to work. Good luck with your decision.

The Following User Says Thank You to roxygirl1 For This Useful Post:
cinder (04-16-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
(male)

planemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB User

I am 6 weeks post op myself and I'm glad I did it. My case is a little different because my torn tendon was caused by a 10 foot fall out of an airline catering truck. I went through the workers comp process for a year and my foot was just getting worse. I knew I wouldn't be able to work with my foot the way it was.
The sooner you get the surgery, the sooner you can get on the road to recovery. BTW, this problem seems common with teachers. Just make sure you get a knee scooter for recovery, you will appreciate it! I bought mine on Craigslist and it was cheaper than renting.

Surgery March 6, 2012: Calcanal Osteotomy, PTT repair, FDL tendon transfer on left foot.

The Following User Says Thank You to planemark For This Useful Post:
cinder (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I definitely agree with all of the other posts. Your foot will continue to get worse. The longer you wait, there is more damage done and options of fixing the problem could be more limited. Yes, it is a long recovery but it is well worth it in the end. My job requires me to be on my feet all day and I could not return to work until four months post op. Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
cinder (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 05:52 AM   #7
(female)

ljturner HB Userljturner HB Userljturner HB Userljturner HB User

I am in the same shoes - no pun intended- as you. I also had another (unrelated) surgery in January so I do have to be sure I am OK to have this one...but I have been struggling with the timing...the responses you received have pretty much confirmed my own conclusion, better to get it done and over with than to put it off. I see my doc on 4/30, I am hoping to get it scheduled before the end of May. Ugh.....

Old 04-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

Was your other surgery on the same or opposite foot? If it was on the opposite foot, be sure you are completely healed because you will be NWB for several weeks. Your non surgical foot will take a lot of punishment

Old 04-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
(female)

Hi, I am suppose to have surgery on both feet, but my left one is worst than my right one and I have been putting both of them off. I returned to work today after break and I am hurting. Took two advil when I got home. We only have 48 more days of school and I want to finish off the school year, but I might not make it. Thank you so much. I appreciate your advice.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
(female)

Keep me updated as to when you are having the surgery and what the doctor says.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #11
(female)

I think walking on those floors in the school have definitely contributed to this problem. You are so right. I hope I can find the courage to do this. I think talking with all of you on this message board is definitely helping me. Thank you all so much.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #12
(male)

posttibtend HB User

Hello, I just wanted to add a small piece of advice that I did not hear mentioned yet. I agree that taking care of your problem sooner rather than later is important. After injuring myself, it took two years until I had the surgery. I wish I hadn't waited more than a year because after one year of the injury I began having knee problems. So I'm all for getting your problem resolved early. One of the more important considerations to take into account, however, is to choose a surgeon whose specialty is foot and ankles. People may go on and on about podiatrist versus orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon. What truly matters is whether your doctor has performed this surgery (PTT Reconstruction) quite a number of times (a 100 or more is pretty good-that's just my opinion though) and whether he or she has had good outcomes. Please don't be afraid to ask your Doctor about his/her experience in this matter. You may have already done this, but if not, I thought it was important advice. My doctor is an excellent foot and ankle orthopedic surgeon and I trusted her expertise. That trust really helped me through the decision making process. Good luck and please keep posting updates with your progress/decision.

Last edited by posttibtend; 04-16-2012 at 07:37 PM.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I would also be sure that your surgeon has a lot of experience with flat foot reconstruction!!!!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #14
(male)

planemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB User

I agree with the last few posts, make sure you find a well experienced orthopedic surgeon. I didn't like my first OS because she was so arrogant and didn't listen to me. I'm sure she was following procedure and followed all the steps to prevent surgery. She put me in a walking boot for six weeks, custom orthotics and six weeks of PT. The pain subsided while I was in the boot, but it came right back once I started walking normally and nothing made it better. PT even aggravated it on several occasions. On my last visit to her office she said I was all better and I would just have to deal with it. I tried to tell her that the pain was getting worse not better, but she just breezed out of the exam room.
I had a few PT sessions left and I told my therapist how frustrated I was and I had decided to get a second opinion because I knew I couldn't make it at work with all the pain I was having, I have a very physical job. My Therapist was a wealth of information on choosing a good OS. She told me that she hears it all from her patients and she sees their work firsthand. She recommended a well known surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic who has allot of experience. I'm not sure if you went for any PT, but I would suggest talking to your Physical therapist and getting some recommendations.

Surgery March 6, 2012: Calcanal Osteotomy, PTT repair, FDL tendon transfer on left foot.

The Following User Says Thank You to planemark For This Useful Post:
cinder (04-17-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #15
(female)

Thank you so much. It sounds alot like what I have been going through, the boot, PT, orthotics. I do have a very good OS who knows his stuff, but has no bed side manner. I saw a second opinion OS who also has a good reputation and he had no bed side manner either, but as long as they know what they are doing. I think I would go with the first guy since I have been going to him longer and my daughter had surgery on her ankle in October and did very well. This is so wonderful to be able to interact first hand and get such wonderful advice and to see how others have done with this surgery. It really is helping me get up my courage. I appreciate it.

Closed Thread