It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
(female)

dsw2012 HB User
Unhappy Broken 3rd Metatarsal

Hello. This is long just to warn you! Any help would be much appreciated.

First I will you give you the background story to my situation. I broke my 3rd metatarsal on Feb 20th, 2011. It was a complete fracture, not just a stress fracture. I did not have health insurance at the time, so I went to the emergency room. They gave me a stiff sole surgery shoe and told me to wear it for 4-6 weeks. The doctor said it was not a bad break and I did not need a cast. I wore the shoe and continued with normal activities. In July my foot was still in extreme pain. I thought my smoking habit (a pack a day) was hindering my healing so I quit cold turkey. I began taking Calcium and Vitamin D supplements.

I was finally able to see an orthopedic sports doctor in September. I still had extreme pain in my ankle. The doctor did a MRI to make sure I did not have any nerve or tendon damage or a small break that did not show up on the X-RAY. The MRI results showed no ligament or pain damage, but the 3rd metatarsal was still broken. He gave me yet another stiff sole show and told me to wear it for 3 weeks and tennis shoes for 3 weeks. I also used a bone stimulator.

I went back to the doctor in November for my 8 week check up, and the X-RAY showed complete healing of the 3rd metatarsal. He gave me a shot of steroids on the side of my foot for tendonitis and I was pain free for about a week. I have full range of motion in my foot, but I still cannot stand for long periods of time. I have been taking Bayer's Aspirin for the pain which makes it go away for a short period of time.

My question is this: Is there anything I can do to help with this? My foot is healed but I am thinking maybe the muscles and tendons are sore? I have been icing it at night and writing the alphabet with my toe pointed. Its not extremely painful, it jsut feels really tight. I would like to be able to work out and wear heels again. It has been over a year. I have full range of motion..it just gets sore quickly.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Last edited by dsw2012; 04-15-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: Broken 3rd Metatarsal

Hi! Welcome to the boards! Wow, long road with this huh? Glad to hear it has fully healed! Sounds like you are sore in the muscles and tendons due to compensating for the injured part of your foot. When you do this long enough and have altered gait due to the break and the special shoes, other things work harder and become sore and inflamed. Maybe you could mention this to your doctor or ask for PT?

Old 04-18-2012, 06:28 AM   #3
(female)

dsw2012 HB User

Thanks so much for your help. My insurance wont cover physical therapy because it is considered a pre-existing condition and unfortunately I do not have the funds for it at this time. I did mention it to my doctor and he suggested Baftefoot Science insoles because they help to strengthen the muscles in the foot. I am going to give them a try. Do you know of any exercises I can do at home? Thanks again for your reply!!

Old 04-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

I honestly am not sure about exercises for that area of the foot and if I did, not sure if they were exacerbate the pain or overwork the tendon or not. I'm sorry. Not much experience with that area of the foot. I've broken my 5th met, but that is different altogether. Hopefully someone else on here will know!

Closed Thread