It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
(male)

planemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB User
Posterior Tibeal Tendon Surgery-recovery is exhausting

I am 6 weeks post op from ptt repair, FDL tendon transfer and calcanal osteotomy. I have one week left in my cast and I know the real fun will begin in PT. I feel like I am getting stronger, and I'm doing allot more than I could just a few weeks ago. I haven't tried to go to the grocery store on a motorized cart yet, but I have been to Walgreens on my scooter and I even made it to a local restaurant to have dinner with a friend of mine tonight.
My question is, is it common to get tired so easily even at the 6 week mark? After I got home tonight I was too tired to get out of the car and I had to sit there for a few minutes to rest first. I also had to prop my foot when I got home and ice it because my foot swelled slightly and was hurting. I wonder if my endurance is down because I have been resting at home or is my body still in über healing mode? I regret that I didn't take a multi vitamin so I ordered Mega Men and A Calcium Citrate supplement from GNC. I hope this will help me further recover, I wish I had done that sooner. Any thoughts?

Surgery March 6, 2012: Calcanal Osteotomy, PTT repair, FDL tendon transfer on left foot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: Posterior Tibeal Tendon Surgery-recovery is exhausting

Yep, it's normal. I'm still the same way at 8 wks out. You heard my story from Saturday, coming home and being so swollen and in so much pain and it hindering PT today! Your body isn't used to all that you are doing. You have to work back up to it. AND you aren't doing it normally, you are exhausting what energy you DO have on the scooter or crutches or lifting a foot with a cast on it that is hurting, etc. So it's normal. You will build back up a little faster in PT, but take it easy on yourself. It's one of the few times it's ok to be the way you are and let it come back on its own! Hang in there and yay for getting to Walgreens and out to dinner! I've done out to dinner and to the movies and friend's houses, but I haven't braved the drug store or grocery store or any shopping yet!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
(male)

planemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB User

Thanks, I really needed to hear that from someone who has been there. I did just read about you on your other thread, and I'm sorry that you were still feeling bad today and in therapy. My Dr warned me that the recovery was going to be long and rough, but I just didn't fathom all of this. I thought I would spring back a little quicker. You are right about the scooter and the crutches makeing it more difficult to get around and it takes allot out of me. I keep telling myself that there is light at the end of the tunnel.
I have been at this almost a year and a half between fighting with workers comp and treating my multiple injuries. I just want my life back already. At least I'm a lot closer now than I was a year ago.

Surgery March 6, 2012: Calcanal Osteotomy, PTT repair, FDL tendon transfer on left foot.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
(male)

I am now 10 weeks post op, and I'm still getting tired so easy. Is this normal or is there something else wrong with me? I thought I would start to regain more of my energy by now.
I know hat I am still on crutches and just started pwb last week, this uses allot of energy. I took my dad to the store a few days ago and used my scooter. When we were done I was so tired that I was sick to my stomach. I ended up coming home and taking an hou nap after. I don't see the Dr for 3 weeks, but if I am still feeling this way I will be telling him.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

I think everyone's recovery is different and depends on several different things. How active were you before surgery? Still being on crutches and PWB will still take a lot out of you. I'd wait to see how you are after you are off crutches. If you are still really fatigued, definitely tell the doctor. I went back to my normal energy at around 10 weeks, but I was fully off crutches at 8 weeks and was pretty active prior to surgery.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
(male)

I think you made a good point. I went from being very active and physical at work to being very sedentary after my accident in November 2010. With all my injuries I have been limited on what I could do. After surgery I was limited even more as my foot healed. I'm getting some stamina back, but it is allot slower coming back than I ever expected. I never thought that foot exercises in PT would get me sweating. Lol I was also worried that some of my exhaustion could be caused by my bleeding ulcer. I have an appointment with he GI in a month, first available.

Closed Thread

Tags
calcaneal osteotomy, ptt surgery recovery