It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
(female)

peep321 HB User
Severe pain under big toenail(s)...?

Hope someone can offer some input... My job requires me to be on my feet for 12.5 hour shifts, 3 days a week. I've had this job for a year. About 2 months ago, I realized that my feet were getting a little sore by the end of my shift, so I purchased new shoes. They've been comfortable since day one; I love them. A couple of weeks ago, I was going to take a few days off to go on a long weekend vacation. The day before I left, I got a professional pedicure. (I have no idea whether this may be relevant.) I usually do my own, but once or twice a year I treat myself. Anyway, I wore sandals the whole time I was on vacation, with no problems or pain. Upon return from vacation, I was laid up for two weeks with a sinus infection, ear infection, and bronchitis - so when all was said & done, I had been away from my job for about 2 1/2 weeks. When I finally went back to work, I of course wore the work shoes (sneakers) that I mentioned previously. By the end of the first night, I was in excruciating pain. My legs were sore, which I attributed to being off the job for two weeks, but what was worse was the pain in my big toes. They were absolutely throbbing. No redness, blisters, or bruising (and I removed the nail polish to check underneath). The pain is sort of under the toenail - not at the end or the sides, but right in the middle. Any slight pressure on my toenail - putting my shoes back on or even just touching the nail with my fingertip - caused ridiculous pain. By the next morning, they were slightly better (not great), so I took some Aleve and went back to work. By the end of that shift, I was barely able to limp myself back out to my car to go home. My left big toe hurt slightly less the next morning, though the right one was still in a lot of pain (even the pressure of wearing socks makes it hurt). Since working those two days, I've now had two days off... the left big toe has no pain at all now, but the right one still hurts just as badly as when it started. I'm trying to either wear sandals or go shoeless while I'm home, to give it a chance to feel better, but so far no luck. I'm worried about going back to work the day after tomorrow! Any ideas on what could be causing this? I don't think it's an ingrown toenail, and like I said there is no discoloration, blisters, or swelling. Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to be thorough. I hope someone can offer some input!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
(female)

peep321 HB User
Re: Severe pain under big toenail(s)...?

Update... the pain is almost completely gone, but now I can see discoloration under the toenail. It's turning purple. Also, when my feet are cold (which is the norm for me), this toe remains warm. Any thoughts? Anyone???

Old 10-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
(female)

KitKat2005 HB User
Re: Severe pain under big toenail(s)...?

Did you get this problem resolved?

Closed Thread