It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
(female)

LoriLynnB HB UserLoriLynnB HB User
7wks post-op calc.ostetomy, tendon transfer...

Hi all!!
Hope everyone is progressing and doing well.
I haven't posted for a while! The last time I tried to post, I typed out a l-o-n-g post. I wasn't finished, had to go somewhere. When I got back on my iPad, the website had timed out and I lost my whole post and I didn't want to do it all over again!
Anyhow, tomorrow will be 7wks since my surgery. Friday I have a follow-up appointment. I have 1 more week of NWB!!! I am now "back in the boot", the CAM walker boot. When I tried to wear it a few weeks ago, my incisions were wayyy too tender yet so I kept wearing the posterior splint.
As far as pain, I'm taking Aleve once a day, and occasionally 1.5 Norco 5/325mg tabs, sometimes as little as once a day. My incisions are healed. Numbness around them. At times the inner arch incision feels "tight" idk if it's the actual incision or the new tendon.
I feel fat, out of shape, sore. I use my knee scooter most, crutches now and then. But the knee scooter is causing me to have knee pain!!! My leg, calf on up to my hip, feels cramped. My knee hurts and my thigh burns a lot when I do too much on the scooter. It dawned on me that I'm putting all my weight on my knee after I push off with my good leg Duh?!. No more trips around Walmart super center or around the block for me!!
I look forward to starting PT so I can get out of this rut.
I'll know more after my appt Friday.
I haven't worked in 5 months now! (I'm a nurse. I went on leave when I was put in a cast for conservative treatment Nov 18. That failed, so had to wait for surgery to happen). It'll be surreal when I do go back.
Have a nice evening!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
(female)

greatoutlook HB Usergreatoutlook HB User
Re: 7wks post-op calc.ostetomy, tendon transfer...

Congratulations to get to that point! You are almost there now! My surgery is scheduled for next week. I was wondering how the knee scooter works. I was looking forward to trying that. I still think it will help from using crutches for the next 8 - 10 weeks.

The Following User Says Thank You to greatoutlook For This Useful Post:
LoriLynnB (04-17-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 12:10 AM   #3
(female)

Hi greatoutlook!
Thanks and welcome!
I bought my Roscoe brand knee scooter online (at mega popular auction website). I did a lot of research online before I chose to buy it. I was going to rent one, but the medical supply store was going to charge $100/mo and I knew I was going to need it for at least 2 months, and I ended up spending only $15 more than the cost of 2 mo rental. I wouldn't have been ready to return it anyway, as I know I'll still be needing it for another 2-3 wks.
Do a search online for knee scooters, that's what I did. You'll even come across some videos of people using them, actual patients and advertising. I didn't start using it immediately after surgery due to being in pain and feeling exhausted. I think I was 12 days post-op. I was using a walker, which felt way more secure than crutches. I borrowed from my father- in-law. It is the type that has wheels on the front legs, and tennis balls on the back legs. So you roll, hop, roll, hop. I also rented a wheel chair that has the leg rests that can be elevated. That came in handy for dr appointments, around the house, and going out to dinner. (Don't forget to get a handicapped placard from the DMV!! Your dr needs to fill out his/her portion and sign the application. I printed the application from the DMV website, they should have them at dr office also).
I hope this info helps you!

Old 04-18-2012, 05:23 AM   #4
(female)

greatoutlook HB Usergreatoutlook HB User

Thank you Lori,
Hope to have time to check on that tonight. I should know today if my surgery is approved with my insurance, than I can order one. I am running out of time, 4/26/12 is the date of surgery. I knw what you mean about being exhausted. The first time I used crutches was a wake up call to put it mildly, and that was 6 years ago. After hitting the 50 a couple years ago, I feel like this knee scooter will be a blessing.

Colleen

Old 04-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

Congratulations on making it to this point. When the doctors talk to us about the surgery, the really do not stress how difficult the recovery can be and the toll it takes. Physical therapy will help alot. Just remember, when you do return to work, that it takes a full year to fully recover. When I used the Cam boot, I tried to wear thick comfy socks to help with irritation.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Yay for 7 weeks post-op and only 1 more week NWB!! Woohoo! Glad you are doing so much better and are back in the boot. I used a thick athletic sock with my boot too and it makes it so much more comfortable! You probably will need the scooter a couple of more weeks as you transition to FWB. I did the same thing you did. I got the Drive knee walker because it had a split pad to make room for the cast and a drink holder and basket and when I saw that the price was the same to rent as to buy I bought that thing on a popular site that has everything (non auction)! Let us know what the doctor says on Friday!!! I just had my 4th post-op visit yesterday (well Tues) and I posted my update on my thread!

Old 04-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
(female)

Hollywood, hi!
Thanks!
As for the sock, I've always worn a comfy, soft loose fitting knee length sock with my boot.
It's much better now that the incisions are healed. One thing that bugs me is that my leg sweats when I wear the boot. This happened before surgery too. The liner and sock are damp when I remove them. I have a new replacement liner I bought to use post surgery and it's the same story. Oh well. Goes along with those wonderful night sweats, I guess.
I'm glad your appt went well!! Progressing beautifully!
I'll update tomorrow after my appt.
Sitting outside on patio enjoying the sun and breeze. foot propped up on knee scooter!

Old 04-20-2012, 01:54 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Glad you are doing well, but so sorry about the sweating! That has to be terrible! Thankfully I haven't had the problem. Please update after your appt!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood48 For This Useful Post:
LoriLynnB (04-21-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
(male)

planemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB User

Congrats on being 7 weeks post op and out of the cast! I am a few days shy of he 7 week mark myself and get my cast off this week. Last time I was at the Dr office the cast tech told me that I will get a different boot than I had before surgery. She said it will have a hinged toe or something. I will find out in a few days.
When I had the first cam walker boot it came with two pair of liners almost like super long tube socks. They were really absorbent and wicked the moisture away from my leg. Do you think regular tube socks are better? I dread the feel of the boot and socks on my incisions.
Glad you are doing well and good luck with PT in a week.

Surgery March 6, 2012: Calcanal Osteotomy, PTT repair, FDL tendon transfer on left foot.

The Following User Says Thank You to planemark For This Useful Post:
LoriLynnB (04-21-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #10
(female)

My appt Fri went great. All clear for partial weight bearing with boot and crutches! I didn't actually really try it until last night (after getting home from an MMA party and 3 Mike's hard cranberry lemonades!). It did hurt, indeed! Going to try for more today in house and outside. I crawled upstairs for the first time yesterday!! I was needing more clothing cuz the weather here in N CA is reaching the 90's and I could no longer endure my usual collection of black and gray stretchy athletic pants. Needed to break out the capris and shorts!
Dr wants me to start PT on week 10 post-op (idk why so late?) 2x/wk for 8wks.
She anticipates me returning to work around June 1. I'd be on light duty for a month, wearing the boot. She said I'm progressing right on track. She said the tightness in my arch is indeed the new tendon! She said they made it tight and it will gradually feel less tight over time, as I begin to bear weight on it.
Thanks for everyone's kind words and support!
Hope you're all doing good!

Last edited by LoriLynnB; 04-22-2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Grammar!

Old 04-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Woohoo! Yay for PWB! Let me know how goes! It didn't happen for me right away and the doctor said it wouldn't. Took me another 2 wks to ditch the crutches altogether and I still keep one in my car in case because there are times when it gets tired or sore! Yay for PT! It will really help and mine has really hurt at times, but so worth it because its helping! Keep updating us!

Old 04-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #12
(female)

lindad1 HB User
Red face Re: 7wks post-op calc.ostetomy, tendon transfer...

Hi,I`m 10 weeks out now,in aircast boot,fwb with crutches(my balance is rubbish).I started wearing the boot at 7 weeks after all the casts came off,was I glad to get my foot flat on the deck again! Trying to walk on one leg was not good for me! My OS plastered me so my foot was toe down to protect all his hard work transferring my tendon & cutting my heel(boy that hurts still!)

I`ve been to one session of physio so far & she was gentle with me as I had a lot of other work done in the foot too,just using the stretch band to get the leg muscles working as they are non- existent at the moment.I was in the aircast 2 months before the op.

Pain level is much better but still sore in all inscision sites,especially my heel,it feels like someone is using sandpaper on it.I saw a tip somewhere about using a pantie liner across it to stop the rub from the boot,but I think it`s internal.I`m hoping it`s not the plate & screws.I had a total of 8 screws & 2 plates,titanium as they have to be mri friendly(had brain surgeries).

I`m determined to get back to work soon,walking for 4 hours non-stop,no place to sit down & am walking & stretching calves to strenthen everything.I`m a bit worried about injuring anything though.Has anyone else injured their foot while doing exercises,I don`t want a set back as this has been quite an unpleasant experience to say the least!

Closed Thread