It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
(female)

tessie418 HB User
Nerve Pain Following Bunion Surgery

I had bunion surgery about seven weeks ago - it was a more complex surgery - I had a wedge, plate and four screws inserted. I had a nerve block. I was completely non-weight bearing for six weeks. After two weeks, I began noticing a constant burning pain in my ankle bone (inside of foot). At about 4 weeks this burning, stabbing pain started in my leg running up the shin bone. Both my foot and inside of my leg are still numb and tingling. The pain is getting worse each day - sharp jagged burning pains in my foot and leg. I cannot keep a sheet on my leg to sleep and wearing pants or a sock irritates it. I have begun physical therapy and the therapist thinks I have Complex Regional Pain Syndrom and/or nerve damage. The surgeon also thinks it is nerve pain from the nerve block. The therapist is working to desensitize my leg. The pain meds the surgeon gave me do not work on the pain so sleeping is a problem. Has anyone had nerve damage from bunion surgery? How do I know if it is permanent? Should I see a neurologist? I am due to go back to work in about a week but I cannot imagine returning because of swelling and this pain. I have only been walking for a few days so it is still quite awkward and tiring after being non-weight bearing for 6 weeks. - Sandy

Old 04-25-2012, 05:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User
Re: Nerve Pain Following Bunion Surgery

Sandy,

Your PT suggested CRPS and didn't refer you anywhere?

I developed RSD or Complex Regional Pain Syndrome after one of my surgeries. You NEED to get in to see a pain management dr. ASAP. CRPS can possibly be put in remission if it gets treated in the first 3 mos or so. If not, it can wreak havoc the rest of your life. PLEASE get an appt. or have your PT refer you to someone to get you in earlier.

My PT noticed the signs of CRPS (I found out my OS did too, but did nothing) and since my OS was doing nothing, my PT referred me to a PM dr. to get evaluated. He was the one (PM dr) that diagnosed me and started treatments on me right away. Usually they will do a sympathetic nerve block, or series of blocks to help put it in remission.

Please keep me updated on this and please don't put it off any longer. If it is CRPS then it won't get better on its own.

(((HUGS)))

The Following User Says Thank You to K_Lana For This Useful Post:
tessie418 (05-02-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
(female)

tessie418 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessie418 View Post
I had bunion surgery about seven weeks ago - it was a more complex surgery - I had a wedge, plate and four screws inserted. I had a nerve block. I was completely non-weight bearing for six weeks. After two weeks, I began noticing a constant burning pain in my ankle bone (inside of foot). At about 4 weeks this burning, stabbing pain started in my leg running up the shin bone. Both my foot and inside of my leg are still numb and tingling. The pain is getting worse each day - sharp jagged burning pains in my foot and leg. I cannot keep a sheet on my leg to sleep and wearing pants or a sock irritates it. I have begun physical therapy and the therapist thinks I have Complex Regional Pain Syndrom and/or nerve damage. The surgeon also thinks it is nerve pain from the nerve block. The therapist is working to desensitize my leg. The pain meds the surgeon gave me do not work on the pain so sleeping is a problem. Has anyone had nerve damage from bunion surgery? How do I know if it is permanent? Should I see a neurologist? I am due to go back to work in about a week but I cannot imagine returning because of swelling and this pain. I have only been walking for a few days so it is still quite awkward and tiring after being non-weight bearing for 6 weeks. - Sandy
Thanks. Both my surgeon and Physical Therapist now think I may have posterior tibia tendonitis. I had an MRI today. I am seeing a Pain Management doctor next week as a percaution for CRPS but my surgeon thinks I would have pain throughout the entire foot making it impossible to touch and not just in the ankle and leg along shin bone. (which is where the tendon is). The Physical Therapist agrees. I'll keep you updated. Thank you for your input.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

Sounds like they are doing all they need to do. Good luck with the MRI. Hopefully they will find an easy solution for you.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:23 AM   #5
(female)

tessie418 HB User

K Lana,

Thanks for your post. The MRI did show some tenosynovitis which the doctor is not too concerned about. It will correct itself. I also saw a pain managment doctor who ordered an EMG test which I had yesterday. The test showed no nerve damage. The doctor compared my left and right foot, and the right foot is red, swollen, and the sole was very moist with sweat. I continue to have almost constant ankle pain and swelling and periodic nerve pain throughout foot and leg. The pain managment doctor told me she thinks I have RSD (Complex Regional Pain Syndrome). She has started me on Neurotin building up to 300 mg 3 times a day and has now ordered a Sympathetic Nerve Block. She said if I get pain relief from the block, it is confirmation of the diagnosis. If not, that does not mean I do not have CRPS. It just means my CRPS does not respond to the blocks. I am still doing PT three times a week. Did you have one of these blocks? How long did it take for your CRPS to go into remission and have you ever had a recurrence of symptoms? The doctor said she thinks I have a mild case and that it is good it has been diagnosed so early (not yet three months post surgery). I asked her if my symptoms will progress as the disease progresses, and she told me she honestly does not know. I am devastated by this potentially life changing diagnosis and what to be as proactive in my treatment as I can be. Please share more of your experience and thank you so much.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:49 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I did have several, dozens of snb. They worked for awhile. I have never been in remission, mine has progressed. I was not dx'd in first 3 mos though.

The following user gives a hug of support to K_Lana:
tessie418 (05-18-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
(female)

tessie418 HB User

I'm sorry I misread your previous message about remission. I hope that you are able to find a treatment that works for you. This is very scary stuff and I will keep you and others suffering from CRPS in my prayers.

Closed Thread