It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
(male)

Carlos74 HB User
Question Posterior Tibial Tendon. OCD lesion

Hi All.
I had a bone graft on the medial side of my talus almost a yr ago and this part of operation has been a full success I believe.
Whilst doing the operation the surgeon had to perform a osteotomy on the tibia to get to the affected bone(they then took bone from the tibia for the graft).
Since surgery I have had almost a cutting pain under the foot and up the back of ankle, this causes bruising and redness and itchiness all around there. Surgeon sent me for a Ultrasound scan, MRI scan not given due to pin in ankle which would spoil results of this particular scan type.
The person who did the ultrasound said the tendon(I believe its the one in the title but not sure)that runs under foot and up the back of leg is rubbing on the pin from the surgery. He did say this would heal over and not much they could do. I am due to see surgeon again in June.
Has anybody experienced this? It seems to be getting worse each week, the cutting is pretty raw. Could the pin be removed possibly? Will pin heal over/under?
Thanks in advance. Carl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User
Re: Posterior Tibial Tendon. OCD lesion

Hi Carlos,

Yes, actually. After my OATS, about 10 mos after, I had go in for debridement of my peroneal tendon and my Posterior tibial tendon. My OS found a tear in my posterior tibial tendon that needed repair. I never had problems with that tendon before my OATS surgery. I never thought about the plate and screw being the cause, but I guess that could make sense. I had the plate and screws taken out at the time of the repair of the tendon.

The Following User Says Thank You to K_Lana For This Useful Post:
Carlos74 (04-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
(male)

Carlos74 HB User

Hi K Lana.

Thanks allot for the information, it started ealier than that for me but really started to become an issue from 10 months after operaton actually.
It sounds identical then, how was the OATS surgery, recover well from that?
Regarding the debridement and pin removal, was it a big operation or pretty straightforward keyhole surgery where you can be up and about soon after with? Has it recovered well from the surgery? I'll give this information to my surgeon in June, quite hopeful its the last thing I have to go through regarding it as foot feels fine around graft area, much more confidence in it.Thanks again Carl

Old 04-25-2012, 06:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

Hey Carl,

Because I had the PTT repair at the same time as the hardware removal, I was NWB for awhile. I don't remember exactly. The hardware removal was a piece of cake. The PTT repair was nothing compared to OATS, but still, it was surgery on soft tissues, so it took awhile to recover.

My story is very long about my ankle now. But hopefully for you, once you get the hardware removed and the tendon fixed you will be back on track. THe fact that the OATS site is good is very promising.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:52 AM   #5
(male)

Carlos74 HB User

Thanks for that information, I may suggest to surgeon to initially remove pin then and see if that improves things, he'll maybe be able to check at the time if tendon needs repairing and won't recover on its own. Yes i'm having a CT bone scan done soon to see if its possible to maybe do some light running but not the end of world if not.
I hope you get some comfort soon then with your ankle K, been dealt a bum deal
Carl

Old 04-25-2012, 07:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

The same incision my dr. went in to take out the hardware he just extended a bit to look at the PTT which he was planning on doing a debridement. We had no idea going into surgery that it was torn. He did fix it during surgery, so that makes sense that your OS could also peak at the tendon while he is in there taking out the hardware.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:40 AM   #7
(male)

Carlos74 HB User

Yes that sounds the sensible way of doing things then, just depends on which surgeon I get now, on the NHS in UK some seem more willing than others to go ahead with stuff instead saying its best left alone. I'll try to have a good chat.
That is a list of surgeries K, really feel for you there, dont know what half of them entail but acknowledge your definitely an authority on the subject.
Carl

Closed Thread

Tags
ankle, lesion, ocd, osteotomy, tendon