It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
(female)

DebbieRA HB User
Cryosurgery for Morton's Neuromas

I have Morton's Neuroma in both feet. I'm 50, female, and enjoy playing tennis.
I've had this problem for around a year and a half. I'm seeing a surgeon who has treated with cortizone and pads to offset the nerve. We are talking about surgery. I'm seeing a foot/ankle surgeon. I asked him about cryosurgery, but he said it wasn't approved. I've been reading about it and it sounds like something that I may want to do. I think I have read it is FDA approved. Trying to find a doctor who does it in the western NC area. Thanks for any help.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Cryosurgery for Morton's Neuromas

Since I'm not sure what all cities you consider as western NC, I did a serach for cryosurgeons North Carolina and found a pretty large selection. BTW, had my neuroma removed surgically and it was a breeze. Went to work the next day with no problem, drove 350 miles by myself the second day after. Some swelling whenever I sat or laid down for any period of time for the first week or so but that was easily dealt with.

A couple of other things, it's my understanding that alcohol injections are a better option than cortisone. Also, perhaps the surgeon meant it isn't approved by your insurance company not that it isn't approved for neuromas?

Last edited by Titchou; 04-29-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2012, 06:28 AM   #3
(female)

footny HB Userfootny HB Userfootny HB User

All my problems started with a neuroma. My best advice is do not let any doctor give you an injection of anything unless they are using a machine, I think it is called an x-ray guided machine, to see the neuroma, otherwise they are taking a guess where the neuroma is. Also, when you have injections anywhere on your foot, you have the risk of losing fat pad on your foot.
Ice your foot as much as possible, that can help the burning pain from the neuroma. Also, try PT to see if they can give you exercises to help keep your toes apart. Always wear shoes or sneakers, do not squeeze your foot into any shoes, unless it is for a night out on the town.
I know how painful a neuroma is, I was in so much pain for 2 years and did surgery, I just didn't do any research before I did the surgery.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
(female)

DebbieRA HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Since I'm not sure what all cities you consider as western NC, I did a serach for cryosurgeons North Carolina and found a pretty large selection. BTW, had my neuroma removed surgically and it was a breeze. Went to work the next day with no problem, drove 350 miles by myself the second day after. Some swelling whenever I sat or laid down for any period of time for the first week or so but that was easily dealt with.

A couple of other things, it's my understanding that alcohol injections are a better option than cortisone. Also, perhaps the surgeon meant it isn't approved by your insurance company not that it isn't approved for neuromas?
Thanks for your reply. My foot/ankle surgeon doesn't do the alcohol injections. He says they don't work and they are painful.

Your experience with surgery is encouraging. I am trying to decide. I'll need it in both feet. I'm going to look for the cryosurgeons in NC. I've put off surgury, but in pain too much of the time now. I see a Reumotologist in Asheville. He is ordering a MRI to make sure it is a neuroma.
Thanks, Debbie

Old 05-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
(female)

DebbieRA HB User

Thanks for the reply. How did you do after the surgery? I may have done better if I hadn't have done research. : ) Now I'm afraid I'm going to make the wrong decision. But I know I'll have to do something soon. Debbie

Old 05-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
(female)

footny HB Userfootny HB Userfootny HB User

Titchou, I should have went to your docotor what is a cyrosurgeon?

Old 05-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Cryosurgery is a freezing technique to kill cells, nerves, etc. So a cryosurgeon is someone who uses that technique.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
(female)

DebbieRA HB User

Found a surgeon in Spartanburg, SC who does cryosurgery for morton's neuroma. I had the left foot done on 11/20/12. Can't believe how easy it was. Much less painful than getting a cortisone shot. Sat in chair while doctor numbed it and did the procedure. It is healing very nicely. Had some bruising and soreness, but not bad. He said to give it around a month before going back to playing tennis. I'm going to have the right foot done on December 7th.

Closed Thread