It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
(male)

WIanklepain HB User
doctor suggest the Star over the inbone and salto

Hi Group :

My doctor suggest the Star over the inbone and salto... Do you agree?
Less bone loss should we need to go up the surgery chain is his belief.

I do want to do some sports and don't understand why I can't try like others do with knees and hips?

I've been following your threads now. I am turning 40 this summer and have had 5 years trying to get back to my previous healthy lifestyle. I have consulted DPM's and Orthopedic Surgeons. The overwhelming problem is that they struggle to understand active patients under 40 years old.

If I knew I could afforded prosthesis, I might have gone that route instead of limping through the past few years. I could have enjoyed activities more with my wife and children those past five year. History: open ankle rt ankle fracture in 07 (missed summer 2007), scopes and hardware removal in 08,09 (PT with additional work) and Ankle Distraction (bad 3 months of in cage of death) in fall of 2010. Had good pain results and even got a good gait, walk back until the joint collapsed right in Feb of 2012.

I am tired and want results. I've consulted many doctors in Chicago, Milwaukee, LA, NY, GA and SC for consensus. Many suggest fusion as gold standard, but others have allowed me to work up the chain to get the best result possible. Right now TAR, Fusion and Prosthesis is on the table.

You would be walking in two months and running in 3-4. The problem is the cost of multiple prosthetic limbs and the knowledge that once it is gone it is gone.

I am leaning toward the TAR over everything else and hope to understand DSR's results as a 32 year old active person. I would love to understand what you expect from your STAR ankle replacement in the next 5-10 years.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-30-2012 at 12:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User
Re: So I had an ankle replacement

Hey there and welcome!

My dr. said the same thing about the STAR. SInce we are younger than the average TAR person, we need to plan ahead for revision. Revision down the road could be an InBone later one with fusion after that. I did receive the STAR.

I'm like you and think that if I had gone the amputation route then I would be more active right now. Because I now have RSD though, that is not as feasible as it once was. As for the prosthesis, I never even gave it a thought to the cost of them. I suppose that could get quite expensive.

What do I expect 5-10 years down the road? Well, right now I hope to walk. I'm still trying to recover from the last surgery and will need another surgery here soon to fix the fusion that is not aligned correctly anymore. I fully expect to get 10 years out of the replacement once it is all aligned. Then I'm expecting a revision and hoping that technology will be that much better in the future that I could get perhaps 15 + years out of it. Eventually, I'll have to have a fusion, but am hoping not until I am much older.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-30-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
(male)

WIanklepain HB User
Re: So I had an ankle replacement

Hi K Lana:

Let me clarify a slight misunderstanding. My doctor was awesome. His suggestion was fusion and the AZ boot thing, which I disagreed with. Others find him busy and tough, but he is a direct straight shooter. He is considered one of the best around. I faxed him questions after my consult. He called me between surgeries and we talked longer than my consult with all his students in tow. I discussed limb removal and he concurred it was an option and for some a very good option. (not exact words but you get the idea).

For all my two cent.... I have an excellent DPM that I truly trust. I did the distraction surgery with him, but it recently failed. I don't want to do that again and want to go to a TAR

If I I had not found such a qualified DPM or MD who would do an ankle replacement on me, I would definitely go right to a prosthesis.......Some forget the best years between 35-60...The best life is one lived.....Are we suppose to go sedentary and not do the activities that define us and give us joy?.....

But it makes me reconsider all these consultations and crap and go for the tough, but correct choice of amputation. In a nut shell, if you are a runner, get a prothesis. If you are not, but want to stay very active. Get an TAR ankle replacement. Push it for the next 10 years and figure it out after that. Don't lose anymore time like me "figuring it all out". I finally made a decision and scheduling surgery soon so I can enjoy walks on the beach with my wife and chasing my 8 and 6 year olds.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-30-2012 at 12:12 PM.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User
Re: doctor suggest the Star over the inbone and salto

So have you had your surgery? How are you doing?

Closed Thread