It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
(female)

Minderae HB User
Peroneal Tendon/MRI Results HELP!?!?!

Hey everyone! I'm new here A little back story on my problems....

I injured my ankle snowboarding in 2009, after an MRI I was diagnosed with peroneal tendon subluxation.

About a month ago I reinjured my ankle snowboarding again
Everytime I go boarding I get a huge lump on the out side of my leg about 15 cm above my ankle. It swells and hurts alot! I headed to the ER. Xrays came back clean, said it was a high ankle sprain and referred me back to my old surgeon.

So I saw my surgeon and had an MRI.

These were my results:

"High signal in the peronues muscles in the distal leg, more extensive involving the peronues brevis muscle. No muscle atrophy. This may represent denervation signal change or myositis."

" Possible partial tear of the peronues brevis tendon"

Clearly I understand I have a tear. My surgeon said the she thought I was getting compartment syndrome in my leg when I board, that's what she thought the lump was and that's why I was referred to get an MRI. Well after these results she said I should have a nerve study study done on my peroneal nerve in my leg.....so I have that scheduled for a couple weeks out. And i'll need surgery to fix the tear.

Does anyone know about these results? What is denervation? Myositis? What does this mean for snowboarding in the future? Any insight would be helpful! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User
Re: Peroneal Tendon/MRI Results HELP!?!?!

I'm not sure about most of it (sorry!) but I had an inch long split in my perineal tendon and am 5 1/2 weeks post op... my doc says I'll likely run and snowboard again... the other issues may change things, I'm not sure.

I wish you luck!

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Myositis is inflammation of the muscle. Denervation is nerve damage. Either could explain a problem with the peroneal muscle attached to the peroneal tendon, though in your case I think the myositis is more plausible.

Get the nerve study. See what happens. Get that tear fixed.

Ultimately, this'll be a long process, and there isn't enough information yet to predict the end result.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

You already got definitions, but the knot could also be from a tear in the retinaculum which is a ligament that holds the peroneal tendons in place and we already know yours sublux. This happened to me after hiking. Felt a pop and there was a huge visible knot above the ankle like yours. MRI showed the tear and I was told I needed surgery to fix it (this was 8 years ago). I didn't do surgery and I sustained further injuries. I finally got another MRI last Nov and it showed 3 torn ligaments, the retinaculum, a tear in the peroneal tendon and they were subluxing!! I had surgery to repair it all on 2/22/12. It's s long recovery, but definitely get it done so you CAN snowboard again! This is my 2nd reconstruction (the first was BEFORE the hiking injury 8 years ago) and my surgeon said as soon as I'm fully rehabbed, I can do pretty much whatever. Only thing I can't really do is sports that require cutting (like football and basket a and I don't play those anymore-not since college intramural days), but I already signed up for a 1/2 marathon for this Dec! Did it the day after my cast came off because he said it was ok! Hang in there!

Old 10-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
(female)

luv2Boutside HB User

Minderae,
Just wondering how you are doing now... did you have surgery to fix the tear?
And to those who have been through similar situations as well, is there different treatments for partial tears or split tears vs full tears?

Old 10-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
(female)

luv2Boutside HB User

Minderae,
And to those who have been through similar situations as well, is there different treatments for partial tears or split tears vs full tears?

Old 10-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #7
(female)

Minderae HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2Boutside View Post
Minderae,

Hey! Well I actualy switched surgeons because I didn't feel like I was getting the full story. The old surgeon just kept saying "surgery, surgery , surgery". After I switched my new surgeon agreed that I have a very tiny tear but it does NOT need surgery. I do have entrapment of the peroneal nerve. All I need to do is a compartment syndrome test, which he's sure i'll fail. I went in to his office during an episode of this and he was sure it is compartment syndrome. If it is compartment problems i'll have an incision from my knee to ankle to release the tissue causing this. At the same time he said he would fix the entrapment of the nerve and also if I want to he recommened fixing the subluxing tendon at the same time to avoid a second surgery later. So it turned into a bigger deal than I thought but im glad I switched. However I have not had surgery yet because while going through all this my husband and I got pregnant! We are almost 5 months, but obviously I can't have surgery right now and probley not for a while after the baby is born. Until I have surgery I just have to go easy on the leg to prevent the compartment syndrome from flaring up as that can cause serious problems that may require emergency surgery. I can't snowboard this season anyway being pregnant lol. Thanks for following up .....I hope I can get all this fixed soon

The Following User Says Thank You to Minderae For This Useful Post:
luv2Boutside (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
(female)

luv2Boutside HB User

Mindrae,
CONGRATS! On the pregnancy. Definately take it easy then and good luck with whatever route you take.

Closed Thread

Tags
mri, peroneal tendon, subluxation