It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
(female)

erin4 HB Usererin4 HB Usererin4 HB Usererin4 HB User
Foot surgery - what doctor is going to be doing.

So I went to the doctor again and this time he gave me paper on what he is going to do when I decide to do the surgery. I have been to different doctors and I been going to him for awhile now. He does 50 surgeries a month like this.

Hes gonna do
Gastrocemius Recession (Intamuscular Approach)
The kidner Procedure
and the Latera Colcaneal Lengthening (evans Osteotomy) for adult acquired flatfoot.
The nurse said the surgery will be 1hr and 30 mins
and i'll be in recovery for about 1 hr and then I can go home.

Has anyone had this surgery before? If so how long did it take you to heal? How long was the recovery?

Thanks for any replies.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
(female)

Re: Foot surgery what docotor is going to be doing.

Has anyone had this surgery before? I would like to know how you feel afterwards, and how you recovered?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

I am 20 months post flat foot reconstruction. I was NWB 8 week followed by several weeks in a boot anytime my foot was on the floor. I was out on disability for 4 months. Now, I am doing very well. When I researched this surgery I found that the success rate is not great but improves considerably in the hands of the right surgeon. I went for four different opinions before deciding upon which doctor I would use. It is important to fully vet your surgeon and be sure that he has a lot of experience with flat foot surgery. You also want to find out what your surgeon's post op protocol is.

My sugery took about four hours

Old 05-06-2012, 04:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I agree with Roxygirl. Having the right surgeon can improve your outcome. I had flat foot reconstruction surgery in August of 2010. My recovery was about the same as Roxygirl's. I was in a cast for 6-8 weeks followed by the boot. I was out on disability for 4 months post op (because of the nature of my job). My surgery was a success and I have no problems with that part of my foot. It truly is important to get several opinions and research your doctor. Good luck

Old 05-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
(male)

posttibtend HB User

Hi Erin4,
When I read your post about your doctor doing 50 of these surgeries a month, I was quite surprised. That is a lot of flat foot reconstructions a month (600 a year!). I would call that quite experienced, although, hopefully he does 600 good flat foot reconstructions a year! I had lateral column lengthening (the Evan's procedure), a medial displacement calcaneal osteotomy, PT tendon debridment, and an FDL transfer. My surgery was over 3 hours. The recovery for me was two weeks in a splint (non-weight bearing (NWB)), 4 weeks in a fiberglass cast NWB, and another 6 weeks in a fiberglass walking cast (partial weight bearing (PWB) to full weight bearing (FWB)). After that it is 6 weeks to 3 months of physical therapy at which point I will be 6 months post op. I've heard it is a full 9 months to one year for full recovery.
Good luck!

Old 05-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

50 a month. And I thought that my surgeon did a lot with 3-5 a week

Old 05-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #7
(female)

Thanks everyone for replying back!
I had to ask that question again cause I thought I heard him wrong, but he said 50 a month. He goes to my city and goes to another one so he is in 2 cities and not just one, so that is why he does so many of these surgeries a month.
I work from home so I probably don't need much time off as you guys did. I probably say about 1 week and then I can start working again. That is what i'm hoping for any ways.
When I read some of your guys response I saw that your surgeries took some time I wonder why mine is so short unless I'm not having much done to me as you all did.
I am hoping that I won't be in so much pain afterwards, that is what i'm scared of I HATE PAIN! I told the doctor that and he said that is why we give you pain meds LOL. He said a lot of his patients said that its not the pain its the recovery time that they don't like. I went to 4 different doctors and this one I really like and I can trust him, the other doctor's didn't really care about my problem they said yeah u need surgery but I don't want to do it so take some meds, and you will be fine.. Yeah I'm NOT fine i'm in PAIN! I am so glad I found this doctor he is real nice and answers everything question. If anyone have any tips about surgery and how long u was down for and what I should get before surgery that will be great! I think I want to wait until after summer to do the surgery I want to enjoy the sun and swim. Again thanks for the replies

The Following User Says Thank You to erin4 For This Useful Post:
ginger62 (10-07-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #8
(female)

Re: Foot surgery - what doctor is going to be doing.

Thank you all for the replies. The surgery will be sooner then later. I was exercising and well I heard a pop in my foot and went down, just say the out come didn't come out to good. My pre-op will be in 3 weeks,and then i'll schedule surgery. He wants me to get a thing for my right foot made before surgery so I won't mess that foot up as bad. I cannot for the life of me think of that name lol. I go back to work within a week well hoping I work from home so it shouldn't bother me to much i don't think since I'm not driving and I sit infront of the computer all day. The nurse who did my MRI the other day on my foot saw the doctor's name on my sheet and she said that my doctor did her surgery, she said that he is the best out there and that he did an amazing job on her foot and the surgery. She has no problems and she did the surgery 2 yrs ago WOOHOO glad I found someone that it was a success! I have to wear a boot right now b/c I injured my rt foot. So the doctor was like do you want to be in the boot for the rest of your life? Do you want to want do physical activity again? I thought to myself No I don't wnat to be in this stupid thing for the rest of my life i'm in my 20's so just thinking of that made me release that I need this surgery.
Please keep the comments coming I want to see how many was a success in this type of surgery!

Old 10-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
(female)

I scheduled my surgery for November 9th. I am so scared and nervous about this. The doctor said I will be getting the block when they are done with surgery but will do that when I am still under woohoo. Then he said that hes going to give me an ice machine thing another plus. He said hes going to use titanium in my foot b/c it heals better and the bone and things will attach to it very well. I have been trying to clean my house up before surgery but it hasn't happened b/c i've been sick. But I will get it done or I will go NUTS looking at everything and I cannot do anything about it. How do you all calm your nerves down before surgery? I asked doctor to see if they can give me some meds to calm me down before I get to the hospital, i told them I will be totally nervous and will talk myself out of it. The nurse said she will ask him about any meds, but they will give me something in the iv to calm me down before they get back to the operating area. So i'm hoping I won't be to bad before i get to the hospital. I had surgery before but not this intense. My mom and bf are going to be there when I have it so i'm glad for that support. I have some family and friends going to come over and hang out with me and bring me food afterwards as well. My boyfriend is going to take a few days off after my surgery as well so I can get a hang of things. I am glad i'm not going through this alone and I see everyone on here is doing very well.
Is there anyone else having surgery around mine and maybe we can keep each other up to date and be in this together?

Old 10-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Hey Erin! Boy it seems like these procedures get done in groups. There are 9 or 10 of us now in various stages. I think Cinder is closest to you, she's 11/2. Maybe it's a "get it done before the holidays" type of thing. There was a big group in late Jan. to early March last year. I was reading the board back then and it was really great the way everyone kept up with each other.
You might want to read the sticky at the top of the page about NWB prep, loads of good ideas.
If you don't mind my asking, where in Indiana are you? I live in NC now but grew up in NW Indiana. Sure don't miss that snow!
Keep us posted. Everyone here is very empathetic. You'll get a lot of support.
Ginger

Old 10-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Wow, I went back and counted... 12 of us from mid-August to mid-November. All ladies...what's up with that? Although I think I read somewhere that it much more prevalent in women (cuz we work so much harder?) Haha, no joke.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
(female)

[QUOTE=ginger62;5068732]Hey Erin! Boy it seems like these procedures get done in groups. There are 9 or 10 of us now in various stages. I think Cinder is closest to you, she's 11/2. Maybe it's a "get it done before the holidays" type of thing. There was a big group in late Jan. to early March last year. I was reading the board back then and it was really great the way everyone kept up with each other.
You might want to read the sticky at the top of the page about NWB prep, loads of good ideas.
If you don't mind my asking, where in Indiana are you? I live in NC now but grew up in NW Indiana. Sure don't miss that snow!
Keep us posted. Everyone here is very empathetic. You'll get a lot of support.
Ginger[/QUOTE]

Hi Ginger-- I am in NE Indiana. I read that already the sticky been on this forum going on maybe 2 yrs or a year.
Maybe I can find Cinder on here and we can be in this together.
Thank you I will keep everyone posted that is for sure.
Thanks for your reply.
Erin

Old 10-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #13
(female)

LOL I think we do WORK HARDER THEN MEN..
But they totally think they work harder which is not the case lol..

Old 10-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #14
(female)

LOL I think we do WORK HARDER THEN MEN..
But they totally think they work harder which is not the case lol..

Old 10-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #15
(female)

I went to the surgery pre-op last Friday, and man I was a nervous wreck b/c i didn't know what they would be doing. But I got calm when they only needed to check my heart and I had to answer a lot and I am a lot of questions.
So my surgery is set for Nov 9th at 8:30 am. YAY i got an early morning . I have to be there at 7:30 so I can get ready for it. But I have to take a shower with an antibacterial soap, has anyone ever had to do that before wash your whole body with it? They gave me a small bottle of it and they said i have to do it the night before and the day of. Oh well I guess i'll be smelling good of the antibacterial stuff before I go into surgery .
I am getting a handicap hanger for car, since I'll be having surgery 4 months apart for the same thing, just say my boyfriend is happy that he gets to park in the handicap parking lol.
I am also getting a Volume pill to calm my nerves down before surgery, I can take it 30-1hr before I get to the hospital, I said if I don't get anything before i get there I will go nuts and I will refuse to go in, so they had to ask the anesthesiologist before the say yes I can have that before I go in. I am one happy person that I can take a pill to calm me down!
I am still waiting for the LOA (leave of absence) to say I got the 2 weeks off of work. Crossing and praying that I don't need to find coverage for those 2 weeks, it will be hard to find it. Well that is it for now. I am trying to get things done here (like a clean house).
I hope you all have a nice recovery. If your schedule for surgery any time soon i'll be thinking about you!

Reply Reply